PDA

View Full Version : Blue Buffalo Recalls Can and Biscuit Products Due To Tampering By American Nutrition

Patt
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company. This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

Blue Buffalo Recalls Can and Biscuit Products Due To Tampering By American Nutrition Inc.
Consumer Inquiries:
1-800-919-2833
Media Inquiries:
David Petrie
1-203-762-9751

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Wilton, Connecticut, April 26, 2007- We at the Blue Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been adding rice protein concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge and without our approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently has been going on for some time. The can formulas that we developed, and trusted them to produce, never contained any rice protein concentrate. It appears that only an FDA investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate supplies forced them to reveal this product tampering to us.

While this activity by ANI is in itself unlawful, the situation is further clouded by the fact that ANI has been receiving rice protein concentrate from Wilber-Ellis, some of which the FDA has determined to be contaminated with melamine.

So while no BLUE or Spa Select canned product has tested positive for the presence of melamine, and there has been no reported illness due to any of our canned products, we simply cannot be sure of what ANI has been including in our formulas. For this reason, we have decided to remove all of our canned and biscuit products from retail distribution. While this may seem to many to be a major over-reaction, as other ANI customers will probably only recall the products that tested positive for melamine, we see this as a matter of integrity.

We founded Blue Buffalo on the principle of providing dogs and cats with the highest quality and most nutritious food, and we will not sell any product that doesn't meet this standard. And under these circumstances, we cannot say that any products manufactured by ANI measure up.

The obvious question is "how could Blue Buffalo not know that ANI was putting rice protein concentrate into our canned food?" The answer is we trusted them. In business and in life, we all trust our partners to deal with us honestly. When we buy produce from our local grocery store, we are trusting growers, shippers and a series of handlers to have delivered a product that is safe and nutritious for our family. If any one of these parties betrays our trust, contaminated products can make their way to our dinner table.

And while we test for known toxins and contaminants, we don't test for protein sources, like rice protein concentrate, especially when we did not formulate our products to contain them.

In the end, this all comes down to an issue of integrity, and ANI has not been honest with us and with the pet parents who buy our products. We will not put any product made by ANI on the shelf, and are temporarily withdrawing an important part of our business in order to be true to our pet parents.

We have already started the process of identifying a can and biscuit manufacturer with whom we can build a partnership based on trust. Once we have accomplished this, BLUE and Spa Select cans and BLUE Health Bars will be reintroduced with the high quality and superior nutrition that our brand stands for and that dogs and cats deserve.

We have informed our retail partners and the FDA about this action and will be cooperating with them to complete this recall quickly. The specific product involved includes all "BLUE" brand can dog foods, all "Spa Select" brand can cat foods and all "BLUE Health Bar" treats.

Consumers who have unused or partially used packages of any of these products should return them to their place of purchase for a complete refund.

All "BLUE" dry natural food for dogs and "Spa Select" dry natural foods for cats are not affected by this recall and are safe for consumption. Should consumers have a specific question, they can call the Company at 1-800-919-2833, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT, to receive more information.

Red Haired Girl
04-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Is this never going to end?

I feed the NV Medallions. I feel like I am just playing a waiting game until they find something in them. I switched to raw because I care about my kid's lives and health. This food recall is so frustrating. It was bad enough when the cheap stuff got recalled, but now, when the better brands are victim of dishonest business practices - even parents that are trying thier best are being thrown curve balls. I am almost afraid to feed my dogs.

Jill
04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I JUST bought these biscuits a few weeks ago because they were "human grade" and holistic and all that jazz. :wtf:

Courtney
04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I JUST bought these biscuits a few weeks ago because they were "human grade" and holistic and all that jazz. :wtf:

Jill - big :ditto: on your :wtf: !! I am so scared to go buy treats. I use the Natural Balance roll and buy Old Mother Hubbard biscuits and sometimes try other high-quality all-natural stuff - but look at this!! Ugh!

Jill
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I usually buy all natural treats and biscuits. For a real "treat" I would occassionally buy snausages. Yes, BAD! But it was a TREAT treat.

Anyway, I said forget it, I am not buying that crap anymore. So, I decided to try these. I also have the Old Mother Hubbard ones, but wanted to switch it up. Anyway, now look where it got me. Crap. Looks like I am going to have to bust out the cookie sheets this weekend and bake some biscuits.

quavec
04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Holy Sheep! A company that sent a product to be packaged and had something added without their knowledge?!!!! That's insane.:shocked:

Patt
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company. This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd Issues Nationwide Recall of "Blue" Canned Dog Foods, "Blue Spa Select" Canned Cat Foods and "Blue" Dog Treats Manufactured At American Nutrition, Inc.
David Petrie
203-762-9751 EXT. 17

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 27, 2007 -- Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd, Wilton, CT, is initiating a nationwide recall of all canned dog foods sold under its "Blue" dog food brand, all canned cat food sold under its "Blue Spa Select" cat food brand, and all dog treats sold under its "Blue" dog food brand. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning that the FDA has confirmed the presence of melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, in rice protein concentrate used by the contract manufacturer in the production of some of these products.

It should be noted the "Blue" canned dog and cat food products were not formulated or labeled to contain rice protein concentrate, and that the manufacturer, American Nutrition, Inc. added the rice protein concentrate to these products without Blue Buffalo Company's knowledge or consent. For this reason, Blue Buffalo Company is concerned that it can not have any faith in the integrity, or the accuracy of the ingredient labels of any of its products manufactured by American Nutrition. Therefore Blue Buffalo is withdrawing all products manufactured by American Nutrition, including products that American Nutrition claims do not contain rice protein. The FDA investigation into the inclusion of the rice protein by American Nutrition in Blue Buffalo's products is ongoing.

Consumers who have any of the "Blue" can dog foods, "Blue Spa Select" can cat foods, or "Blue" dog treats that are being recalled should stop using the products immediately, and return any unused or partially used products to the retailer where they were purchased, for a full refund.

Blue Buffalo has not received any reports of pet illness from any of the recalled products, but consumers are advised to speak with their veterinarian about any concerns for their pet's health.

The recall includes the following:

All Cans of "Blue" dog food
All Cans of "Blue Spa Select" cat food
All "Blue" dog treats

NO BLUE DRY DOG OR CAT FOODS SOLD IN BAGS ARE MANUFACTURED AT AMERICAN NUTRITION. NONE OF THESE DRY DOG OR CAT FOODS ARE INVOLVED IN THIS RECALL.

FDA has been apprised of this action, AND Blue Buffalo will continue to cooperate with the FDA in its investigation of this matter.

Blue Buffalo has not received any complaints of illness or renal failure associated with the use of any of the recalled products.

Blue Buffalo has notified its distributors and retailer customers of this recall by phone and letter and is arranging for return and credit for all recalled products.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-919-2833.