PDA

View Full Version : Bestros or Waggin Train Chicken Strips

Red Haired Girl
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Is anyone feeding these? I have been. I just bought 4 bags of them yesterday but now I am thinking of returning them. The bag says they have been Irradiated:shocked: ! Not only that, I went to Epinions and there is a slew of bad info on them, but not much good.

I'm in a bind. I don't have time to make homemade jerky. I thought about buying human grade turkey jerky for them. The stopping point on turkey jerky is the sodium content.

Any suggestions? Mitch can not tolerate any grain.

catstamm
04-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Carrots....and marrow bones.....that is what I give for snack.
I quit the jerky a while back when I heard that the chicken came from China.

areese
04-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Do you have time to boil some chicken for them? Like a boneless thigh or two? Then cut it up very small and put it in those little plastic containers and freeze it, just leave one out at a time. I do that will left over meat a lot. I also boil giblets and then cut them up really small.
I train a lot so I need high-value treats...Laika wouldn't eat a carrot unless you soaked it in bacon grease LOL
I'm gonna make jerky this week I think....turkey or chicken...I don't use salt but it is marinated in low-sodium soy sauce, garlic powder, and smoke flavoring (which is all natural and no chemicals) and some brown sugar. Of course that is just the marinade, the majority of that doesn't soak in and is discarded.
I could send you some if you'd like to try it...

Red Haired Girl
04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I went to Sitstay and looked at the dried fish treats. I think I am going to try those. I really don't have the extra time to make homemade treats. They luvvv fish so I think it wil be an easy switch. DH will gripe about fish breath but, oh, well...

I give marrow bones. I don't like to give them more than once a week due to the fat content. I scrape out a lot of the marrow, but there are still yummies attached to the bones.

Thanks for the offer of the jerky treats. I would say yes but the soy sauce gives me pause since Mitch has such a hard time with grains. That is what led me to dried fishes.

areese
04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Hmm....I'll have to try some without soy...it's more for me cuz I end up eating it too :) but it's not necessary...just tastes good. Never thought about soy protein being a grain...but the only grain we seem to have problems with here is corn so I don't think about it much..
I'm sure they would love the dried fishies!!! LOL..perhaps I have found a purpose for the 500 thousand goldfish in my pond....those things breed like there is no tomorrow.
Whatya think...REAL goldfish crackers LOL

akiss
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
A lot of treats are irradiated. So it meat... approved by the FDA. I watched a story on dateline where they infected spinich with ecoli ( an independant lab tested and proved it did have it) they then company sent the spinich through the irradiation machine ate 2 large bowls of spinich salad and then the lab tested it again and no ecoli.

Jen
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I give Tasha the fish chews from SitStay and she loves them (though I have to hold my breath when I give them to her).

I stopped giving dried chicken strips as I couldn't find any that weren't from China.

Red Haired Girl
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Jen, which chews do you give? There were quite a few to 'chews' from. Also, What is the country of origin?

Red Haired Girl
04-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Shopped at Sit-Stay, I just ordered a bag of Whole Life Turkey, Icelandic Fish Skin Chews, and a small bag of Dogchovies. I sprang for 3 day shipping since we are out of treats. The total was a smidge over 30.00 including the shipping.Once I find out what they like, I'll order in bulk. Too bad they don't offer a sampler pack.

Lisa
04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Mine love the icelandic fish chews! They totally get two paws up.

I saw the same story on Dateline. It is basically pasteurization for food, with a scary name.

akiss
04-29-2007, 07:04 PM
It is a scarry name but the show was interesting. Especally since it had been approved for meat but not produce!!!

Mine love the icelandic fish chews! They totally get two paws up.

I saw the same story on Dateline. It is basically pasteurization for food, with a scary name.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-29-2007, 11:37 PM
The food that NASA astronauts eat is done by irratiation.

Otto'sMom
05-02-2007, 09:57 PM
The food that NASA astronauts eat is done by irratiation.

Maybe that's what drove that female Astronaut to go bonkers:shocked:

JanUet
05-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I give Casey & Sophie Chewmasters by Celebrity Chicken Strips.
www.celebcorp.com
Chicken strips can be found here:
http://www.celebcorp.com/cstripsx.html

I bought a 2 1/2 pound bag at Global Ryan's Pet Foods last week for $20.
I tell ya they eat better than I do!
They are 97% Fat Free & 100% Natural Chews. High In Protein

Ingredients: Premium Chicken Breast Meat

Analysis
Crude Protein : 70%
Crude Fat: 1% - 3%
Crude Fibre: 0.3%
Moisture: 14%
Salt: 0.3%

Red Haired Girl
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
What is the country of origin? They made in Canada or China?

JanUet
05-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure Tracy.:dunno:
I will need to check that out when I get home from work.

LexieLuvr
05-03-2007, 11:41 AM
We're still doing the Waggin Train Chicken Strips, sorry to say. Guess we'll have to read the packages better.

LUVMYGUNNER
05-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm still feeding them also. I couldn't find anything wrong with them realy except the irratiation and they realy do that, to a lot of stuff. If some one can check it out more and let us know what is wrong with it. I know it is from China and I always wondered if they use the birds that were infeccted with bird flu.:confused: I usualy research everything I feed G&P and missed have missed something somewhere. Red Haired Girl can you post the findings of where it says irratiation......

LUVMYGUNNER
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Tracy could you post the link on irratiation being bad?

quavec
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Here's a link about the safety of it. Not the downside to it though:

FDA link (http://www.fda.gov/opacom/catalog/irradbro.html)

The journal of Nutrition posted this about it. I'm not very happy with the whole lab rat testing :(

Journal of Nutrition (http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/65/1/39)

Q & A about Food Irradiation:

Q&A (http://ific.org/publications/qa/irradiationqa.cfm)

Patt
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Carrol, thanks for the links. Very interesting!

LUVMYGUNNER
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks Carrol. I read somewhere that our fruits are treated in the same way.

Red Haired Girl
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/irradiation/

I can't see where Irradiation is a 'good' thing.

LUVMYGUNNER
05-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks Tracy. I will check out the Bestro ones also.