PDA

View Full Version : Do you have pet birds with your Doxies???

Michelle
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, I need to throw out this question and see how many of you have pet birds at home along with your Doxies and do the little weiners try to eat them or are they nice to them????

I am talking about the kind of pet birds that usually spend their time outside of their cages when you are home and like to be held, petted, and talk.. for example, cockatiels, meyers parrots, lorries, and the big parrots??,,

My husband wants a bird and I am all for it, cause I used to have two hand fed baby cockatiels that talked up a storm and were very human friendly, and also had a blue fronted amazon parrot before I went away to finish up college some 15 years ago..

However, I am worried about getting one, and i don't just want a bird that will sit in the cage like the canaries, finches, and parakeets, I want at least a cockatiel or something a bit bigger that can be played with.

I don't know how the dogs would act with it, if they would want to eat it,,, or play with it,,,,, granted now the bird would have it wings clipped so it would not fly around like a ninny in the house and poop all over things, but it would be out on top of the cage in a playground area and allowed to have it cage door open when we are home..

Do any of you have birds like this at home with your Doxies?????

I'm a little concerned about this cause Heidi caught a sparrow in her mouth one day out in the yard and ran around the yard with it in her mouth for a few minutes until she got so silly and lost her grip on the poor thing and it flew away...

I'm worried about investing money in a hand fed baby bird and end up having it be dinner for Heidi and Princess, I don't think I could very well borrow someones bird just to try things out either......

Anyone,,,, anyone,,, have a bird living with your doxie????

Jen
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
No birds here but someone I know was going to adopt a doxie, brought her home for the weekend and she terrorized the free flying pet bird so back she went. The woman got a chihuahua instead....

IMHO, if you have doxies with a high prey drive, its probably not a great idea, unless you can devote a whole room to the bird(s) and keep the dogs out.

Michelle
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
IMHO, if you have doxies with a high prey drive, its probably not a great idea, unless you can devote a whole room to the bird(s) and keep the dogs out.

I think you are right,,, sadly so,,, I really want my bird again, but Heidi and Princess require so much attention and I don't think I could honestly give enough attention to one of those birds, cause they really demand a lot too,, If my hubby really wants a bird we may have to just get one of the pretty ones that just sit in the cage and don't do anything but stay there.....

Lisa
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I have two lovebirds and yes they are prey! We tried to take them out and Pogo had the little one pinned against the fridge. It was so scary.

Patt
01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Personally I would not get a bird. We have a Amazon Parrot and like the cats has to be kept separate from Trixie. We never had problems with the other dogs but Trix has a very high prey drive.

JanUet
01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a budgie, He stays on top of his cage and walks around it. Some of his toys and mirrors are on the top of the cage. He does this little fly and swoop low over the dogs. Drives them nutz! I tell the bird.....YOur swooping days are numbered Pal! He also flies around the room and rests himself on my shoulder. The dogs (both) claw at my legs to get at him.

Here are some pitures of when I was cleaning out the cage. The bird in the picture is FAKE.

THE SWARM! NOTICE>>CASEY'S HEAD IS IN THE CAGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/tiggermiss/swarmcage.jpg

SOPHIE, NOTICE HER TONGUE IS STICKING OUT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/tiggermiss/sophiebird.jpg

I hope these pictures answer your Questions

Michelle
01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I think Heidi and Princess have a high prey drive, I think my idea of getting a bird will just fly out the window :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I better let my hubby in on the info, and show him some of the pics here, gosh I just love the doxie head inside the birdcage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacqueline
01-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Taffy was raised with birds by her previous owners, but I don't know what the circumstances were. I was warned by everyone that Doxies are natural hunters, and would not be a good match to my birds.

I have 3 cockatiels, a half naked Quaker and a senegal parrot, Caesar. Caesar is the only one who ever gets out of the cage, and we did have them both out at the same time. Taffy got up in his face, to look at him. Off the top of the cage he came, and for the first time in his life, I saw him fly. :shocked: You see, Caesar DOES NOT FLY. Ever. Nada. Nix. Nine. No. Nyet.

She didn't chase him because I also flew....across the room and grabbed her harness. I nearly had a heart attack. Caesar, of course, being the cool bird he is, simply walked around the front of the couch, climbed up the stick I offered him, and informed me I had better NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Taffy doesn't chase birds, nor does she bother my caged ones....but if you are thinking about a bird with clipped wings to be running aroud loose....I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion.