PDA

View Full Version : Is your dog's food safe yet?

Courtney
05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Great article from Christie Keith...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/05/01/petscol.DTL

Also because I hadn't seen it posted yet, FDA admits thousands of pets have died from this:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/04/30/pet-food-recall-the-fda-puts-out-some-numbers-at-last/

The Food and Drug Administration is enforcing a new import alert that greatly expands its curtailment of some food ingredients imported from China, authorizing border inspectors to detain ingredients used in everything from noodles to breakfast bars.

The new restriction is likely to cause delays in the delivery of raw ingredients for the production of many commonly used products.

The move reflects the FDA’s growing unease with what the alert announcement called China’s “manufacturing control issues” issues and that country’s inability to ascertain what controls are in place to prevent food contamination. For example, the agency says that, after weeks of investigation, it still does not know what regions of China are affected or what firms there are major manufacturers of vegetable proteins.

Inspectors are now allowed to detain vegetable-protein imports from China because they may contain the chemical melamine. Melamine, used in the manufacture of plastics, was found in the wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate that has led to the recall of 5,300 pet food products.

and

This has been one of the largest pet food recalls in history, a recall that continues to expand. Thus far, 18 firms have recalled product, 17 Class I and 1 class II, covering over 5,300 product lines. As of April 26, 2007, FDA had received over 17,000 consumer complaints relating to this outbreak, and those complaints included reports of approximately 1950 deaths of cats and 2200 deaths of dogs.

quavec
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
This is the first that I've seen them admit to the number of deaths. The number I had been seeing was extremely low and I knew it could not be correct. :sosad:

LexieLuvr
05-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow - thanks for the links. Some very interesting (and SCARY) info on both! (And I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg - and if all pet owners who lost pets could verify the cause of death, I suspect the numbers would be incredibly high!)

Puppen
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
:sad1: :mad3: It all makes me just so mad and :sosad: I am So glad that I switched the girls and they are doing so well. Sorry to kibble believers, but I will never go back to feeding any kind of kibble to the girls or to ToeBee kitty. Even he gets the rice and hamburger mixture and loves it. Also put some 1.5 ml of pet tinic on each. they are very happy and healthy.

Jen
05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
This is so insane and should be more of a scandal than it is. I'm afraid of how high the numbers really are!

Jacqueline
05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
As soon as they started announcing the recalls, I decided to switch to Merrick, and even then, called and asked about where they get the ingredients from. And I make their treats, except for Charlee Bears.

I was in PetSmart today, and had the girls along. We are trying to give them as much car time as possible in their travel crate before we go to Missouri, so we take them along on most errands. The cashier asked if they could have a treat. I told her no thanks, that I carry their treats with me, and I make my own for them. She said she doesn't blame me, and almost everyone in line was shaking their heads in agreement.

Neshane
05-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I always have given treats to my customers after their grooming but since this recall I have thrown away ALL my treats even though I know they are a GOOD treat, tomorrow they maybe on a recall list for cross contamination.
So right now I'm giving people's animal crackers until I hear all of this has gotten into our own food supply, inwhich it has for the chickens & pigs!!!

They had a good insight on how safe is rawhides on TV last night, I won't ever buy them again even the ones made in the USA are questionable!!!!!!!:sosad:

akiss
05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
If you can find "ETTA SAYS". Dog treats. They are made in Washington and are wonderfull. All it consists of is freeze dried Chicken Liver. Beef Liver or Lamb Liver.

www.ettasays.com

And under "Fun" then "Woofs" Dobby and Baxter have there picture there!!!