PDA

View Full Version : Owen defies gravity and other agility stories

areese
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, Owen has done what we believed was physically impossible for him. He now can launch himself off the dogwalk, totally missing the yellow contact areas, causing him to NQ and giving me a heart attack. He did it over and over....I couldn't do anything about it cuz he doesn't know it's wrong..he was never taught anything special at the bottom of the contact obstacles cuz a dog who is 6 1/2 inches at the shoulder with 3 inch long legs shouldn't be able to fly off like superdog.... Damn he was fast though... He did end up qualifying in 2 runs of the 5 he ran. We'll have to work on the contacts in class!
NOtice his new camo collar rob picked out at Target. He stamped "OWEN" into the metal buckle thing for him too :)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0405.jpg
Laika ran two runs and qualified in both of them. Jumpers and Fullhouse. Those are the most fun runs I think...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0401.jpg
Salsalita not only qualifed in two standard runs (she's never run standard before in a trial) with two firsts, she also finished her level 1 totally and got two level two Q's. She is getting VERY fast. I ran the same course with her as Laika for Fullhouse (you make up your own course, having to meet certain obstacle and point requirements) and she got more points than Laika-getting more obstacles in before the buzzer rang! She was a full 14 seconds under time in standard!!! She got so much attention cuz she is by far the littlest dog running and she does such a great job. She seemed so....SERIOUS running...just had her little head down running as fast as she could. She is just awesome and so much fun to run. And at the end when I pick her up she is SO excited and snorting and kissing me and grunting and gurgling like she does...her whole little body vibrating with excitement. She just loves it...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0395.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0397.jpg
I also ran a friend's dog on Saturday cuz she had to work...her partner brought Quinn (a sheltie) and we got 2 out of 3 runs AND he did all his contacts for me which he hasn't been doing for his mommy. That was fun. he's fast and a blast to run.
It was a good trial :)

Anatresia
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Congratulations to the whole crew! That Salsa makes the cutest faces- she's so expressive. And I always love seeing your dachsies- they're so pretty. Laika is such a little lady- she's so beautiful and Owen has the cutest puppy face ever.:hearts:

Linus
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow!! Congrats everyone!

Bailey was taught to "target" at the end of the obstacles. I stopped it after a few classes because it was making him twist funny, but if you put the target (a plastic lid) with a treat in the yellow it might make him slow down. (Bailey's were on the ground)

Otto'sMom
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I can just feel the pride from those photos! What awesome runs!

areese
05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow!! Congrats everyone!

Bailey was taught to "target" at the end of the obstacles. I stopped it after a few classes because it was making him twist funny, but if you put the target (a plastic lid) with a treat in the yellow it might make him slow down. (Bailey's were on the ground)

I'm thinking I'm just gonna start dropping a treat at the bottom so he keeps his head down looking for it. I'd have to fade the target somehow if I used one...cuz he'd know if it was there or not, wouldn't he? If I drop treats consistently for a bit, then do it sometimes...I'm thinking he'll always look cuz he'll never know. Of course they do know a trial is different and there are never treats at a trial so who knows. I could fake it...but watch-then he'd be there for 3 minutes looking for the treat that doesn't exsist :rotfl: . Laika was taught the "two on two off" at the end and I wish I never did that cuz it slowed her so much plus prob. wasn't good for her back but I didn't know better....
I finally raced him to the end (beat him therem which actually wasn't easy cuz he hauls butt on the dogwalk ) and turned around to face him and pointed at the bottom and that made him not jump but geez it was a kinda dumb looking maneuver :rotfl:

Linus
05-13-2007, 10:46 PM
That's what we started with - the treat on the ground. The problem I had with it was that Bailey would be going so fast that his front would stop and his back wouldn't so he'd end up C shaped. I wasn't so comfortable with that. That's when I moved it up to actually being on the yellow and it worked a little better.

Tanya
05-13-2007, 10:49 PM
:congrats:

Look at little Salsa with all of those ribbons! :thumbsup:

jenfer
05-14-2007, 01:57 AM
That's awesome. Little Salsa looks so proud. :) You wanna run Gigi too? :) I want to get Gi in some jumpers and the full thing... Novice, only... of course. :)

areese
05-14-2007, 03:46 AM
That's awesome. Little Salsa looks so proud. :) You wanna run Gigi too? :) I want to get Gi in some jumpers and the full thing... Novice, only... of course. :)
Yes yes yes I wanna run GiGi! CPE is so cool cuz there are 5 levels and level 1 is so easy...you are allowed some mistakes and there are no weaves or teeter in level 1. I'm really worried about Salsa and the teeter cuz of her size...she doesn't worry, just me LOL.
I think there is CPE in oregon....
http://www.k9cpe.com/events.htm#SCCA6182004
Fullhouse is really fun. There is a course set up, not numbered. You must get 3 single jumps, 2 circles (tunnels and tire jump) and one "joker" which would be the contact obstacles or weaves. Single jumps are 1 point, circles are 3 and the jokers are 5. And you gotta get a certain number of points (depends on level) as well as the 3 jumps 2 circles, 1 joker in 35 seconds, then the buzzer sound and you have 12 seconds (for little dogs) to get to the table. For every second over 12, you start losing points (1 for each second). You can do each obstacle twice for points. It's a fun game and you can't really mess up so even if your dog isn't listening, as long as they are doing obstacles, you are bound to Qualify! That's another reason I like CPE- I like the games!!

Alex's Mom
05-14-2007, 06:19 AM
OMG, that first pic of Salsalita made me laugh out loud!!!!! What an expressive face she has "bow to the new reigning diva, peasants!!" :rotfl::rotfl: Owen Weenie is all "ho-hum, when you're as good as I am, ribbons are a matter of course" (we won't mention the missed contacts...:rolleyes:) And the divine Miss Laika is regal as ever. You sound like you guys are having SO much fun. if Alex was a bit younger (OK, a lot younger :)) I'd be tempted to try it...she used to love jumping the cavelletti in the outdoor riding ring at my old barn. I called her my little grand prix jumping dachshund!!! Well done you guys!!!!!

Tex
05-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Huge :congrats: to all!!!! Everybody looks just stunning with their ribbons!

areese
05-14-2007, 09:03 AM
That's what we started with - the treat on the ground. The problem I had with it was that Bailey would be going so fast that his front would stop and his back wouldn't so he'd end up C shaped. I wasn't so comfortable with that. That's when I moved it up to actually being on the yellow and it worked a little better.

I'll have to watch and see if that happens with O. He's such a goof. I was so so so happy he did such a fast dogwalk, too. Laika kinda meanders over.

quavec
05-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Little Salsa is just bursting with Pride!

:congrats: to your whole crew! What a group of SUPERSTARS!

Courtney
05-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Amy, you must be a fantastic handler!! Even without the ribbons, if your dogs run that well and have that much fun, it speaks volumes about YOU! Big congrats - I love all the pics and hearing the stories!! :D

Rae
05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
ho are you kidding, Paula? Owen is clearly saying
"I is Owen Weenie... look at my......

ribbons.

He's such a boy. :)

I am so glad you guys are having fun and glad Salsalita has developed such a following. (Chi groupies :rolleyes: )

lizzieb38
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
:appl: :appl: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana: :banana: :banana: Wow I am so proud of my lil nieces and nephew. I just love the pic of Salsa looking at her ribbons. She looks so darn proud!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: and kisses to all 3 of them.

Alex's Mom
05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
ho are you kidding, Paula? Owen is clearly saying
"I is Owen Weenie... look at my......

ribbons.

He's such a boy. :)

I am so glad you guys are having fun and glad Salsalita has developed such a following. (Chi groupies :rolleyes: )

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: It must be my pure mind, Rae!!! (I always did go more for a man's eyes than *ahem* other bits and pieces! :rolleyes:

Bella's Mom
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Way to go pups!! :cheer2: :appl: