PDA

View Full Version : Supplements for the herd

Mama S.
01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
With finances tight lately, I really want to do what is best for the herd but just cannot afford to keep them UTD on everything shots, HW, flea, good food AND supplements. Especailly with Miss Jadaa hitting me with a whopper vet bill I wasn't prepared for. The first 3 are point blank givens - no adjustments . I've adjusted to a good food instead of a great food - with that in mind - what is the one or 2 supplements that should be never do without?
Sandi

Loren
01-12-2006, 05:06 PM
a GOOD multivitamin...

I use from www.b-naturals.com ( the immune blend)

BUT.....you have to order it on line yada yada yada

if you can get to a place that sells NUPRO..that's pretty good one too..their site is www.nuprosupplements.com

If you can manage to get some ester c...I'd do that one too. Those would be my 2 that I wouldn't do without.

Now..don't ask me for my LONG list that I give Chief. It's many more than I take but I do believe they are helping him.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Vitamin Ester-C and glucosamine/chondroitine--the food should profite enough of a multi vitamine. If you can't get the expensive ones go to Walmart and get your Vitamines. Its more important to give a vit then not give one at all, cause you can't afford them. Not everyone can affort the expensive ones.

Loren
01-12-2006, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=LUVMYGUNNER]the food should profite enough of a multi vitamine.

I'll have to disagree on this...especially if one is feeding kibble.--and the lower quality the kibble, the MORE you would need the multi IMO.

Loren
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
http://b-naturals.com/Dec2003.php

Courtney
01-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Is your vet on an annual vaccine schedule or 3 years or what? Does your area have the 3-year rabies vaccine? If all your doggies have had their 1-year shots it's probably OK to minimize their shots from now on as once they have immunity, you really can't "boost" it and the shots are just a precaution. You still have to give rabies of course as that is required by law. But maybe that could save you some money. (just tell your vet you are giving them the shots at home or something!) Annual exams are probably still a good idea, but maybe even every other year if the dogs are healthy. Does your vet give a multi-pet discount? Mine gave us 15% off when we brought in the two cats together.

HW preventive is a must, flea stuff you may be able to get by with using very sparingly/as needed. I haven't used Frontline in a while and I am seeing how that goes!

As far as food/supplements I do believe that is the most important thing. Uhh I know you're expecting this from me, but any chance you can score an extra chest freezer, buy in bulk and feed raw!?? :) It'd save you money on vet bills/dentals/etc in the long run!

Mama S.
01-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Is your vet on an annual vaccine schedule or 3 years or what? Does your area have the 3-year rabies vaccine? I don't know - we do annual shots here. Did not know that some vaccines were optional?? See how much I can learn here?!
Does your vet give a multi-pet discount? Yes, he is a doll! but still with 8 it adds up FAST!

HW preventive is a must, flea stuff you may be able to get by with using very sparingly/as needed. I haven't used Frontline in a while and I am seeing how that goes!

As far as food/supplements I do believe that is the most important thing. Uhh I know you're expecting this from me, but any chance you can score an extra chest freezer, buy in bulk and feed raw!?? :) It'd save you money on vet bills/dentals/etc in the long run!

I actually have a freezer! Chest type - I am stupid as a stick about what to feed, how much blah blah - were it easy to do I'd switch but it seems soooo complicated.
Sandi

LUVMYGUNNER
01-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Meemo, you are right about a multi but some people just can't affort all of the different vitamins, protecting their back is also important so as to avoid surgery and after care... Also the kibble is important. I give mine 4 different one but not everyone has that money. I asked my vet one time about what brand is the best and he said he is more concerned about them taking a vitamin than the brand.

Patt
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Definitely keep up with HW preventative and Rabies vaccines, I think the other boosters can wait JMO. I doubt you have much of a flea problem now but you will in the spring so that could wait. Buy the best food you can afford and I would supplement with a good multiple vitamin, I'm sure they will be fine.

Loren
01-13-2006, 07:04 AM
all the others we forego and dr. periodically does titer testing. We do have a freezer just for Chief with all his raw food, including tripe! His freezer is bigger than ours!