PDA

View Full Version : My quest for kibble will be the end of me...

Jill
01-14-2006, 07:42 PM
:dienana:

I posted a few days ago about Reese not eating and then Bailey not eating. They would eat eventually, but were not pleased with me and what was in their bowl. I headed to the pet shop and talked with the manager and she said that she has had wuite a few people come in re: new Wellness formula. Either dogs are reacting like mine and not eating or it's not agreeing with them and it's causing soft poops. So, we talked about the other kibbles etc...

I ended up going home with a bag of Nature's Variety chicken kibble. I think they hated that more then the Wellness. So back I went. This place has a food guarantee, so I got full credit for the bag and sent home with a bunch of samples...

I started with the EVO. Bailey seemed to enjoy it, while Reesewas on the fence. The I decided to try it again, Reese passed, so I tried out the Canidae and Reese ssemed to like that, so I'll try again. But, I was hopeful that the EVO would be a hit as I like the thought of the grain free. I know Canidae is a good food. Is it obsurd to feed two different types of kibble, one to each dog? :dunno:

While I was talking with them, I did inquire about the pre-mix raw, as I have been reading a little about it and am intrigued. Maybe this is a sign that I should say forget the kibble and go raw? :scratch:

Sorry this was so long, thanks for reading. :hearts:

Lisa
01-14-2006, 07:51 PM
If they sell the Raw premix, give it a shot Jill. I know the boys will LOVE it. No complaints in this house, and mine we the same as yours...so fussy. I KNOW it's my fault they were, but I just had to find the right food for them. If I lived in a climate like Courtney (and had a big freezer!), I would feed like Courtney, but in the great white north, I only have 6 months that I could feed them outside, and I don't really have any other area that I could devote to it (like a laundry room).

Good luck. If you aren't happy with the result, it's not a life long commitment, you can always go back to your quest for kibble.

lotsadox
01-14-2006, 07:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned raw is the way to go. I usually feed pre mix raw, but sometimes feed raw from the store. Mostly whatever I find that day. I usually keep chicken wings and beef ribs in the frig for them. I use Nature's Variety pre mix. Courtney can advise you if you want to do raw yourself.

Michelle
01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm making a transition to raw, and will start feeding the Prairie brand medallions until I learn enough about properly feeding raw from scratch. However, while the girls are making that transition they are eating Solid Gold Hunchen Flocken and they just love it.. I am still reading the Yahoo group postings for raw feeding and someone from another group is sending me a book.

You might want to try the Solid Gold food and see how they like that.. or have they tried it already???

Linus
01-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Well Courtney, it looks like you have influenced us for the better!!

Bailey is loving his new raw premix!

Loren
01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
It's not a good idea to keep "giving in" to them if they are not eating. I'd stick with a good kibble and pick it up after 15 minutes and try next meal etc. Eventually they will eat it. The only reason I would keep switching would be if there was some sort of issue going on, diarrhea, etc.

Courtney
01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Cool Linsey! What premix is he getting?

Linus
01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Cool Linsey! What premix is he getting?

The Nature's Variety Kibble at the moment. No where around here sells it so my mom has to mail it to me or I have to get it when I visit my BF..both 3 hour trips...I'm afraid the frozen stuff wouldn't last.

jenfer
01-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Now all of you have tempted me. I may have to think about that option.

Mama S.
01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I just ordered the book that Courtney suggested - am going to do some research to see if I can make the switch to raw for the herd! I have the freezer, not really squeamish - just want more info before I make the jump! My biggest concern is cost - am going to hunt for a source besides the local grocery store - they would be waaayyy to expensive -
Sandi

LUVMYGUNNER
01-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Sandi can you go to a Costco and get your meat??

JanUet
01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I find that the Raw Pre mix is the Best way to go! It is not totally going Raw (like Courtney) but it is the next best thing.

I usually give my 2 chicken wings, thighs and drumsticks twice a week. They also get Marrow Bones on Saturday nights. It's like their tv watching snack!:rotfl:

I read someone mentioned Tripe. I have seen it in the stores :yuck: is that fed raw or do I have to do something to it?

I was also thinking chicken feet ( I have a powerful tummy) but I don't think I could watch them eat it. I can easily watch Courtneys crew eating all the wonderful stuff.....but not sure I can watch mine eat a goats head or chicken feet.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I get Petunia and Gunner green tripe in a can.

Mama S.
01-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Sandi can you go to a Costco and get your meat??
No Costco here, closest is over 100 miles away :sosad: There is a chicken plant not sure if they will sell to the public. ALso have a couple of those meat places whereyou buy bulk - am going to do some calling around to see what kind of deals I can get!
Sandi

Loren
01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I read someone mentioned Tripe. I have seen it in the stores :yuck: is that fed raw or do I have to do something to it?

Tripe is raw but you can't buy it at a grocery store-they carry the bleached tripe (white). Tripe is usually GREEN. I get mine where I get the premix...I only add about a tablespoon with each meal. THere is a canned version called Tripett but it is not as healthy for them as the real raw stuff!

btw..here's another good source for raw

http://www.hare-today.com/