PDA

View Full Version : Amanda's Getting Old

lotsadox
01-15-2006, 01:24 PM
I haven't posted much about Amanda lately. She will be 17 next week and is starting to have some problems. She's been very weak in her rear end since she had back surgery. She can hardly walk now. Just for short periods and is incontinent a lot. I've had to start crating her during the day because she gets up enough to go outside, but sometimes can't get back in. I'm afraid she'll be out there barking all day or it will rain and she'll be outside in it, so she has to be crated which doesn't make her happy.

I wash her every other day so she's not messy and stinky and mop the floor almost that often (thank God I have wood laminate). She's mostly blind and mostly deaf. She can still bark and still loves to eat though. It's so hard to see her getting to where she can't do anything anymore. I carry her out to the back yard once in a while. She does go out the doggie door to the side yard. I let her do it when I'm at home because she'll bark if she can't get back in the then I can go get her.

I've thought about diapering her, but she's long haired which means a real mess. At least if she has an accident in the crate she covers it with the towels (I put 3 or 4 in there for her) and doesn't get that messy. I can usually just wipe her with the doggie wipes and she's okay.

I know that the DH thinks I should have her put down because she's getting so bad, but she's not in pain and she does enjoy barking and eating so I feel like she has enough quality of life. It's just so hard and sometimes so sad to see her get older. I think that main thing is that she doesn't get around and wants to. That's hard for me. Of course it's always hard for me when they get this way. It was very hard when Bandit was 16 and started not being able to get around.

I just wanted to update everyone on Amanda. Sometimes it's very hard. Thanks for listening.

Linus
01-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Bailey is my first dog, and he's not even 2, so I can't imagine what you are feeling, but I can send you lots and lots of :bighug: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: .

Helen
01-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh, Patrice. Bless you for helping Amanda to have the best life she can. It's clear how much you love her. :hearts: Thanks for updating us.

jenfer
01-15-2006, 02:22 PM
You are doing the right thing. Go with your heart. Gi is also MY first dog, so I don't even want to think that far ahead.

Jill
01-15-2006, 02:57 PM
:bighug:

Your are the best Hoomom and she knows it. She is a very special dog indeed and has had a great life thanks to you. You know what she needs. Keep up the great job. :hearts:

A few rayz while I'm at it. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

oceangirls
01-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry, Patrice :( I know what it's like to see them get older (although none of mine have ever had Amanda's longevity :hearts: )and start having more problems. You're doing a great job with her. Give her a kiss from me and the girls.

Patt
01-15-2006, 05:11 PM
From what you described I think Amanda is doing well, and still has quality of life. How about trying DES for the incontinence I've had good luck with that and perhaps you should cut some of the hair off the hind quarters for an easier clean up. When is the last time she had blood work done? Have you thought about an inexpensive cart or do you think she could handle that? Here is a link for one at $60.

http://www.dogstogo.net/

I will keep you and Amanda in my thoughts and prayers.

Loren
01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
seeing Amanda that way and being torn on what to do? We all want what's best for our pets but yet sometimes we just don't know WHAT is best and are we doing the right thing by them and by us.

Thanks for letting us know about your old Gal....here are some strength :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: . Keep us posted!

Mama S.
01-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Poor sweet Miss A! YOu are such a great Mom! Time will tell you when you need to do more. I agree that possibly clipping the hair closer on her hiney to make clean up even easier!
Sandi

JanUet
01-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh Patrice :hug99:

You a such an :angel:!!!!!! Amanda is the luckiest pooch to have you as a Mommie. :hearts:

I can remember when I was 18 years old. We had a Border Collie that was 15 years old. He was deaf, blind in one eye, had a nasty cough and needed to be carried almost everywhere. My Dad Loved him so much. He would tell us to make sure that Chuck was okay and to speak to him everyday. We carried him up and down the stairs ( he always liked being with us). When Mom went to bed, he went to bed. He slept with my parents at the bottom of the bed.
My Dad took him to the Vet when he had problems breathing. The vet was amazed that Chuck was still living. My Dad refused to put Chuck to sleep and wanted medication for him. Chuck continued to be with us for 6 months longer and passed away in his sleep in his favourite place, at the bottom of Daddies bed.

I know that I will be that way for my crew when they reach their Golden Years. :hearts:

God Bless You Patrice :hearts: :hearts:

Alex's Mom
01-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh Patrice, how I feel for and with you. I'm in somewhat the same boat with my Alex, although she still has a great quality of life overall. Some good days, some not so good days. I've just been fortunate that I've been able to work from home for the most part and we can keep each other company. I know it's easy to say what to do from the outside, but you know her the best, and often the heart hears the clearest. She'll let you know when it's time, I believe. My old girl Maxe had congestive heart failure, but still lived to be 15. On her last Sunday she was still doing pretty good...we went to a horse show, and she enjoyed barking her fool head off at everyone. The next morning, she did something she hadn't done in a long time...crawl up onto my legs as I was drinking my coffee in bed. She used to do that before Alex came along (Maxe was 9 when I got Alex), then stopped (too many dominance issues as she got very old). We had a cuddle and she went to sleep in the sun. That night she went into respiratory distress and crossed the bridge with my vet's help the next morning. I know she was telling me "Mom, I love you, but it's time to go." It's hard, and the grieving never really totally goes away, but we know in our hearts that we gave them the best life and all the love possible. Alex and I are sending the biggest hug and lots of :rayz: for both of you.

Pokeys Mom
01-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Patrice, I had no idea! You are doing a great job with Amanda. :hearts:

I'm sure you thought of this, but could you gate her in a slightly bigger area? Maybe put a spare or small piece of linoleum down over your nice floors too.

Come here for a hug :hug99: or mental health break :hula1: anytime!

HotDogMama
01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Patrice, I am glad you shared some about your dear Amanda, I could only imagine what you are going through, I really wish your girl all the best, sounds like she has had a very good life and only because you two were meant to be together, I'm sure when the time comes you both will know, and then you'll know you did the right thing. Always here whenever you want to reminiscence.

BethMH
01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Dear Patrice,

I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same emotions with my beloved Beamer, my first fur baby. My heart goes out to you and Amanda. Take comfort in knowing that she was so lucky to have you for a mommie and to have received love and care from you. She would not have been around this long if her life with you had not been so wonderful for her.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing the update on how she's doing.

Rays for Amanda!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: