PDA

View Full Version : Duchie wobbly - update post 13

Rae
07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
got her out of her crate this morning, she went to the back door like always, Noticed when she got outside to do her biz that her tail was cocked to one side. Not good.

Peed and pooed fine, then was bounding back into the house and one back leg (freaking out, can't remember) was just not right. Not dragging, just not right. Scooped her up immediately and went in the house- no playtime today.

She does not seem to be in pain, no yelping or screaming, and she did OK on the toe test- maybe the right toes were a little slower....

So she is crated here with me now and we're going to Dr. Chuck's as soon as he opens at 8:15. Please pray for my beloved baby that it's a flare up and we get alllll better with the crate rest and predinsone routine.

(Ever notice how you don't care if there's dog poo in the yard when you hit your knees to beg God to make your baby OK during times like this??)

Anatresia
07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that it's just a sore muscle!

areese
07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Many many many mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: for you and your baby!! Send an update when you can!!!!

Jen
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for our beloved Duchie!!! Hopefully its either a pulled muscle or a mild back issue that meds and rest will soon put right. And of course, a :bighug: for you Rae!!

We'll be awaiting Dr Chuck's diagnosis!

quavec
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
:bighug: sister! Call me, smoke signal me, throw out the Bat signal if you have to! Let us know how she's doing! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

K2
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Oh no!!! Sending lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :pray: :pray: :pray: for HRH. Please keep us updated. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for the worried Mom, too.

Jill
07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: Keep us posted Rae!

Frzframe
07-06-2007, 09:27 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you.

HotDogMama
07-06-2007, 09:52 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays for the duchess, and :bighug: for mama!!

oceangirls
07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
A million rayz for you two, sweetie :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: .

Has she ever had back issues before? I forget.

LexieLuvr
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh, nooooooooooooo! Sending a TON of nothing-serious :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH!!! Keep us posted, please! :hug99: to worried hoomom, too - I know how that is!

Patt
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:, :pray:ers and :hug99: :hug99: I hope it's nothing serious.

Rae
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
back from Dr. Chuck's. Got a shot of Pred and pills, crate rest for 4 weeks just to be safe.

She walked fine for him, but when he examined her she was tender on the right side of her back.

Kiim- she has had troubles before, but it was a stroke (I am sure you remember that!)... When she had all that surgery on her belly and was out on drugs he did x-rays of her back and she does have some disk trouble.

Here's hoping the rest and pred will do the trick- we go back next Friday for a check up.

thanks for the rayz - they truly are magical.

LexieLuvr
07-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a minor flare-up thingie - hoping that C.R. and pred (don't forget the Pepcid!) will make her right as rain (ooooops - didn't really want to say "rain" as we're totally SICK of it in Texas) again!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Rae
07-06-2007, 11:28 AM
we do also have tummy meds, but thanks for the reminder. I am pretty out of it with freak-out right now so all reminders are helpful!

Jen
07-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Well it sounds like you caught it early. Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :crossfin: that meds and rest do the trick!!

Do you have her on Ester-C as a supplement?

Rae
07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
no Ester-C. She gets glucosamine and Chondroitin- what does the ester C do different? (I mena, I know its vitamin C .. but... ) can always add that to our routine.

AND can I just add that Dr. Chuck said HRH is the best patient he has? She never bites or fights or carries on... my sweet girl.

LUVMYGUNNER
07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Glad she is doing better.

Rae
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
me too - its just so scary! I feel so helpless.

catstamm
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Ester C is great but I wouldn't start it now....wait til she's feeling better...it can be hard on the tummy if you give them too much.
Sorry I missed this Rae.... my prayers are with you and HRH today :hug99: :hearts:

Tex
07-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Sending tons more Texas-sized :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH!!!!:hug99:

Patt
07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
More :sunny: CA :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH. I'm sure Pred will do the trick. :crossfin:

Lisa
07-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Lots more rayz from north of the boarder! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Otto'sMom
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Just saw this, what is with these puppers giving us all fits this week!

Rae
07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I dunno Andrea, but I can tell you there is a very sad pair of liquid golden eyes looking at me from "doggy prison" right now and they are not happy.

Jen
07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
She IS allowed out for laptime isn't she? If so, I think you're gonna have a lot more laptime during her recovery period.

Rae
07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I think a recliner and a blanket are a LOT like a crate, just for a few minutes, aren't they??

TLC is a great healer.

areese
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I think a recliner and a blanket are a LOT like a crate, just for a few minutes, aren't they??

TLC is a great healer.

WAY better than a crate :) :) :)
more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a complee recovery!

K2
07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Lots more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: coming at HRH. Give her some extra :hug99: :hug99: from me and Pippit. You know what she's thinking when she's looking at you from the crate???? That you should be the one in the crate!:rotfl:

Alex's Mom
07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
God, Rae, just got in off the road (I'm home for the weekend but have to go back up to Mulgrave on Monday morning for a few days)...to read this!!!!! I confess I welled up...I'd better quit travelling, I think...if it's not Alex, then something happens to somebody else special! I'm a travelling jinx :( Glad to read the update though...I'm thinking (hard) about you and HRH. Sending a milliion gajillion :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and just as many :hug99::hug99: :hug99: for you. (And yup, laps are way better for crates...look at all that extra heat theRAEpy :rotfl:). Please give her cuteness a big, if gentle hug and a few smooches from Alex and me, OK??

Rae
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
will give all hugs and smooches sent via the board. She is resting here at the office now, and I am trying to be calm. I got on Dodgers list again and of course i jump to the worse case scenarios EVER...

This is awful, and scary, and I just burst into tears when I saw her walking funny this morning. This is my BABY we're talking about!! And to see her looking at me all helpless... super scary.

But we did get to Dr Chuck's immediately... so I hope that makes a difference.

It's upsetting, and Paula I know you know this way better than I do, to have someone you love getting older... and as they get older, things just happen. And while back trouble is not just for the older ones, it is I guess every doxie mom and dad's big worry.

We have cart wonders who are living proof that IVDD is not the end of the world, and I guess I am terribly selfish, but I sure don't want Duchie to be one of em. I have it firmly in my head that she will die quietly in her sleep after no sickness, several years from now in good health... I have it all worked out that she will chase a rabbit to the Bridge and be happy.

And I am worried. A month of crate rest is a long time, but that's just what we'll do. Dr Chuck said. (And after joining this group I already knew)

I have to be out of town next Friday afternoon the 13th through the 18th for work, and I am freaked about leaving her. I think I'll take her to my mom's instead of leaving her with DH. I just think she'd notice more of the subtle stuff that is going on with her... moms are like that....

(((sigh))) thanks to all who have been so supportive. We just love them soooooo much, and when they are hurt or sick, it just sucks.

Thanks to you all for all the warm wishes. The feeling of comunity here is just so amazing, and you are all so caring and loving it really, really DOES help.

lotsadox
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I've been out of the office all morning and I'm just getting on the board. I'm so sorry, Rae. :bighug: Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: :pray: for Duchie.

Bogart says if you look very pitiful, Duchie, and are VERY, VERY good and sit quietly, they will sometimes let you out of the crate for snuggle time on the couch. But you have to be very good and not try to jump off the couch or they put you right back in the doggie jail. It's awful! :mad3:

Rae, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I felt the same way when Bogart's back started bothering him. Duchie is in good hands with you and your great vet! ITA with taking her to your mom's when you leave town. Mom's notice stuff that men don't. It's called being a mom, I guess.

Rae
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Patrice.. I am hoping its just a flare up and no huge deal.. and I know I did everything I could by getting her to Dr Chuck ASAP...

I love her sooooooooo much. You know how it is...

I will pass Bogart's advice along. Am sure we'll BOTH feel better in the recliner for some tlc. and she's not a jumper.

Otto'sMom
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
When Austin was on crate rest, I laid down by his crate and petted him and loved on him, and then when it was time to go to bed, I carried the crate and set it on the bedside table so he could watch me sleep. I cried in the hallway when I looked at him sitting in there so helpless and in pain.
Now, I'm used to it and often forget to let him out when he's done with his supper:duh: :rotfl:

Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you and your baby.

Rae
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
thanks Andrea - Duchie is very very content to lay in the floor with mommy.. unfortunately this is not our first rodeo with crate rest.

She is amazingly content to be IN her crate, too.... as long as she can see me she is fine.

Funny story- my mom is a hairdresser wtih a salon in her home,and when she babysits for me she takes the crate out into the shop and Duchie just lies there and watches her cut hair all day. Mom doesn't let her loose because she DOES have elderly clients too and they might trip over her.

Mom thinks its the strangest thing - Duchie is FINE... if and only if she can see you. otherwish she'll bark the house down :)

Jen
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Having been thru this twice with Tasha I know how agonizing it is and how much you worry about them. (and she was 3 the first time it happened darn it and thin to boot). We have been giving her glucosamine and chrontadin (sp) since the first incident on our vet's recommendation. Started Ester-C on my own (one she was off pain meds) and its been a year and a half since the last incident--knock wood.

Smoochies for HRH and a :bighug: for you.

So glad she's ok in the crate if she can see you. That will make it much easier!!

Rae
07-06-2007, 04:38 PM
(((sigh))) it just sucks.

You guys are the greatest people I know (who don't have fur)
thanks to all for talking mommy through a very rough day.

Red Haired Girl
07-06-2007, 06:34 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: For Princess Duchie. :hug99: for you!

Mama S.
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
No wonder I"ve had such a crappy day. HRHR is not having a good day and my Nanasp is focusing on her. Lots of TLC - hugs and :bigrayz: headed from way down here!!!
Mama

Yolanda
07-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Yikes, how did I miss this.l Glad to read all is 'good' for HRH. Take care and looks of speedy :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

jenfer
07-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I just read this now. Sending Duchie more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: . And :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: to you. Stay positive and she will be fine.

michelehbc
07-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Woah! :shocked: How in the H-word did I JUST NOW come across this thread???!!!

I am sending all my :pray: :pray: :pray: up for the Queen of your World, :hearts: Duchie :hearts: , tonight.... And :hug99: :hug99: for you.

We love you and Duchie dearly, and I hope she is okay.

oh, and here are some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for good measure!!! :)

Rae
07-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Update from the weekend.

HRH seems to be doing pretty well. We've been crate resting and predinsoning.

She is not nearly so wobbly when we go to the potty... which is good.

DH says she needs exercise to strengthen her muscles. I am SO "not now, thanks!"...

She is not liking doggy jail, but who could blame her?

thanks to all for caring and the huge show of support. I think I might have overreacted and (knock wood) this may just be a small flare up , but it is scary.

I mean, I had Yolanda on my speed dial scary...

thanks everyone.

Tex
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
So glad that she is improving!!! Sending extra healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH and big :hug99: s for a worried mom!

areese
07-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey, better to over-react than under with backs! It's just har on YOU :) I'm glad she is doing better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quavec
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Umm..yeah, let's keep Duchie away from DH right now. He's still in his prison farm mentality isn't he? ;)

continued :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and let DH know that Mom's know best :hug99:

lotsadox
07-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I"m so glad that Duchie's doing better. ITA with Amy. Better to overreact than underreact. Sending tons more Texas :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you!

And, as to DH's idea of exercise . . . NO! Tell Sutton to let Duchie's mommy take care of her. Everyone knows that mommys know what best.

walks away mumbling "MEN!"

Patt
07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the update. It's great to hear she is improving. Sending more healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to HRH.
Many :hug99: :hug99: to the bestest of mom's. :bighug: :hearts:

Rae
07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
thanks, ladies.

It is just so hard to think she is wobbly when she seems fine, but I think she is jacked up on Prednisone and thinks she's dyno-mutt.

LexieLuvr
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I"m so glad that Duchie's doing better. ITA with Amy. Better to overreact than underreact. Sending tons more Texas :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you!

And, as to DH's idea of exercise . . . NO! Tell Sutton to let Duchie's mommy take care of her. Everyone knows that mommys know what best.

walks away mumbling "MEN!"
I couldn't have said it ALL any better! Sending more get-better :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: !

Lee Anne
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
You have every right to overreact (which you didn't BTW). All that has to be taken seriously! You're doing great! :hug99:

Patt
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I think she is jacked up on Prednisone and thinks she's dyno-mutt.

To me Pred is a "wonder" drug. On occasion I have gotten a Pred injection, after that I can do anything. :rotfl: