PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Dried Coated Kibble

Pokeys Mom
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
I was just about to post about Nature Variety's pre-mix dry kibble, then I saw Golfer_Girl's post. I am thinking of switching for Pokey, and it's the closest thing to actual raw.

This one is a dry kibble with a coating of freeze dried "raw."
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?r=2022771&page=1321&-session=naturesvariety:44AB3C9702d56315DEiLQ18FBF0 6

I know real raw would be better, but the logistics for feeding raw in our living situation right now is tricky.

Nothing has helped his anals, so I thought this might be worth a try. Also, he has developed "itchy feet" after our move. The grass is different out here (grass allergy?), but he is currently taking Benadryl. I've been putting leftover Panalog then Bag Balm on his feet, and it seems to bring a little relief. It's not OCD licking that I can tell (-Clomicalm). Poor guy!

Plus, I want him to have ultra healty food. :hearts:

Does anyone have any thoughts about this kind of kibble?

Linus
01-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I just switched Bailey after Christmas. For the first week or so his poopies were rather large, but they have calmed down some, so to speak. His coat is soft and shiny and thicker in places than it was. He is a good weight and doing well.

I too want to do real RAW someday, but it just isn't possible right now. I love this alternative, and I think he does too.

JanUet
01-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I feed my 2 the Nature's Variety Kibble and Medallions. They Love it!

Kibble (Chicken and Rice) in the morning......Medallions in the evening.

There coats are smooth and shiny. :banana: :cheer2:

Loren
01-17-2006, 07:01 AM
It's a good kibble as far as kibbles go. Although if YOUR dog doesn't do well on it, it doesn't matter whether it is considered GOOD or not. If Pokey does well on it, it's a good food to go on.

Lisa
01-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I feed the Raw medallions like Janet, and I only have the freezer that is part of my fridge. It is no more time consuming nor does it take up a lot of space. The bag of medallions is about the size of a bag of lettuce in a bag. I only buy two bags at a time, open both, and put a variety for about 3 days in tupperware and pop it in the fridge, then the two open bags get tossed in my freezer and in three days when I do it again, they get merged.

No I know you have a Marta, so it may not be economical to switch, but for a small dog, it really is just as convenient as feeding kibble. And smaller poops so less cleanup. I can't even tell you how much it has helped Pogo with his allergies. But, it is now winter here, so I don't know if it's only the food or the fact that the ground is frozen over - but he is doing amazing right now. We haven't even had to do his anals in about 2-1/2 months! :woohoo:

I know that didn't really answer your question, but I think their kibble would be good as well, I am really happy with their pre-mix frozen.

Jill
01-17-2006, 09:21 AM
We didn't have success with that kibble, but I was told by the store that it is very popular BECAUSE of the freeze-dried coating. I *think* she told me dogs found it more palatable? :scratch: The boys are loving EVO. :cheer2:

Pokeys Mom
01-17-2006, 08:18 PM
The boys are loving EVO. :cheer2: I have heard so much about EVO, but can't seem to find it. :scratch:

I would love to give the medallions a try someday. My concern would be if we went somewhere without a freezer or fridge for a few days. The chances are slim, but I wouldn't want to throw their tummies off.

Is the frozen pre-mix something different? I'm having a hard time finding brands, except for Nature's Valley.

If I went ahead (baby steps) and tried the N.V. kibble, they suggest to rotate flavors when purchasing a new bag. It seems as if they could start the new flavor right away, but I have always spent 1-2 weeks with dietary changes. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Maybe now isn't the best time, as I'm not able to research as much as I would like to. (DH can help me, though.)

Thanks! Pokey can have a sensitive tummy sometimes.

Pokeys Mom
01-17-2006, 09:06 PM
They make freeze-dried medallions that can be reconstituted with water, for situations like camping or hotel stays. Interesting! :banana:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1334&-session=naturesvariety:44AB3C9702d56315DEiLQ18FBF0 6

I'll check out the freeze dried enhanced kibble for now, and do my homework! :cheer2:

Loren
01-18-2006, 07:31 AM
petfooddirect (www.petfooddirect.com) for EVO.

Pokeys Mom
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
petfooddirect (www.petfooddirect.com) for EVO. Perfect! They have 3V caps too. :cheer2: I didn't know much about petfooddirect, so thank you very very much! :banana:

Loren
01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Perfect! They have 3V caps too. :cheer2: I didn't know much about petfooddirect, so thank you very very much! :banana:

:welcome11: BUT....I would nix the 3v caps and get Salmon Oil capsules instead!