PDA

View Full Version : Updates!

quavec
07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
There seems to have a lot of sick puppers - and kitties - recently. I know during the worst of it, we received lots of updates.

How are they doing now? Duchie and Bogart's backs? Lily's surgery? Jen Jen's eyes? Hannah's thinness? And sadly, the list could go on and on.

How are our DLC guys and gals doing?

Otto'sMom
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm picking Lily up from the vet today to bring her home. She's walking around and eating gruel but I still may need to feed her with a syringe, which isn't new to me, since Kali, one of my black kitties had to be fed with a tube in her neck for months.

Dusty is eating, I didn't take him in on Thurs since he's going in on Monday for the big Heartworm treatment. He tires on our walks, and coughs and I know that's from the heartworms.

I think Pearl has an ear infection, I was cleaning her ears last night and it sounded very gushy inside, and she didn't want to shake her head. I'll talk to the vet about her today. She's on meds for another yeast infection.

Grrrrt is still peeing on my freshly cleaned floors out of pure spite.

Otto and Scooter's dental worked like a charm. No more stank breff.

Daisy May has totally bounced back from where she was 6 weeks ago.

I think that's everyone.

catstamm
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I was just thinkin about Lily too :hearts:
Jen is doing great, her eyes are back to 100% health...so now I just watch her to see if she is itchy...if she is, it's benedryl time
GREAT THREAD :):hug99:

Rae
07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Dookie is to take her prednisone (half a pill twice a day every other day) until it is gone. SHE IS SPRUNG FROM DOGGIE PRISON and I am just supposed to keep an eyeball on her.

(as if I don't watch her like a hawk 24/7)

Viva La Pink Princess Bed, here we come!!

She will be so glad - she has been hopping and wriggling like a crazy dog and due to the low dose of pred she is on I think it's just "happy dog-ness"

Thanks to all for the continued rayz. She is my heart :hearts: and you guys are the best!

LexieLuvr
07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, good thread! I'm so happy to hear that progress is made and updates are good! Sending many more Texas :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to anyone and everyone who may still need them!! :hug99:

lotsadox
07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
I was just getting ready to post about Bogart's vet visit. :banana:

I took him to the vet this a.m. and she did another VOM adjustment on him. She thought he was doing very well. He's regained most of his response in his back legs, he's just a little weak and wobbly still. He's doing much better though. He started standing "taller" on his back legs this week. :cheer2: He also had trouble pooping at first because it was hard for him to squat. Poor thing's little hiney was only about 1/2" off the ground. Now he can squat and poop a lot easier with his hiney off the ground. :banana:

We're cutting his pred back to 1/2 pill twice a day for 5 days and then 1/4 pill twice a day for 5 days and back to the vet for another followup. I didn't ask about doggie jail, because after his relapse and problems I decided that my poor Bobo is going to be in doggie jail for the full 8 weeks just to make sure. Not taking any chances of another relapse. At 15, I'll probably just keep him crated at night and when we leave and on restricted movement from now on. I'm just hoping for the best for my little guy.

Thanks for all the support. Y'all are the best! :banana: :hearts: :banana:

Rae
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
do ya'll think we sprung HRH from Doggie jail too soon?
three full weeks.... and she is not a jumper and we have no stairs.

lotsadox
07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Hard to say. Most of what I read on Dodger's List was 6 - 8 weeks, but most vets say 4 weeks. :scratch: The 6 - 8 weeks could be because of the surgery, I really have no idea. Duchie did well on her recovery and without jumping or stairs might be okay.

I'm keeping Bogart on crate rest for a long time because he did have trouble with his recovery and relapsed which caused momma severe anxiety. So for his benefit and mine, I'm keeping him on crate rest longer. :(

catstamm
07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
We always go with at least 6 weeks and Dodgers list is an incredible source as Patrice mentioned...When we have released them sooner, they tend to relapse and you are back to square one :sosad:
Keep in mind most vets are not experts in IVDD...
The nuerologist we consult, always says a min of 6 weeks.... especially when the dog is experiencing what poor Bogart is....
Prayers for Bogart and patience rays for mom :)

Opaleyz
07-27-2007, 03:30 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for continued health for everydog & everycat!

Otto'sMom
07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Lily is home now! She's very cranky, but that's just her.:rolleyes: She lapped up a good amount of her AD 'gruel' and was cleaning herself afterwards. Took her medicine with a fight, but again, that's what you get. I've got a taller baby gate to their room (which may have played a part in the whole fiasco. She miscalculated the jump and ended up in the next room, the bathroom, where the attack took place) and I had an audience of cat haters out there while I sat with her. Daisy May, Dexter and Austin, sat there and watched us as the cats in the other catroom lavished attention on me. You could just hear the wheels turning in their little heads....'next time kitty, next time' I don't think Lily will ever leave that room willingly again.

lotsadox
07-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Just wanted to update everyone again on Bogart. We've started weaning him off the steroids. I was very nervous because that was when he relapsed before. But he's been at a lower dosage for 2 1/2 days now and is doing great! :cheer2: :cheer2: He's still somewhat weak in his back legs and a little wobbly, but he seems to be getting stronger. He's at almost two weeks since his relapse. I plan to keep him on the strict crate rest he's on now for 4 more weeks and then to let him have a little less restriction. Right now, he's in the crate almost all the time. Only gets out to be carried out to potty and to sit on the couch occasionally. After the six weeks, I thought I'd let him walk out to potty ON THE LEASH (the little bugger tried to run one day! :shocked:) and see how he does. I'm feeling much more optomistic about him now.

Thanks for being such great friends and listening to my obsessing about his back and how he walks. Only real friends would do that. :rolleyes:

Tex
07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm so glad that all our updates are good ones!!!!:banana: :cheer2: :hearts:

Huge continued improvement :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for all involved!!!!

quavec
07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I think having all of our thoughts channeled towards our DLC furpals getting better has helped! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Extra :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for their continued recovery!

Alex's Mom
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: for all the GREAT updates...take it from one who knows...those :bigrayz: work!!!! So here's a bunch more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for all of our recovering kids!

catstamm
07-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Just wanted to update everyone again on Bogart. We've started weaning him off the steroids. I was very nervous because that was when he relapsed before. But he's been at a lower dosage for 2 1/2 days now and is doing great! :cheer2: :cheer2: He's still somewhat weak in his back legs and a little wobbly, but he seems to be getting stronger. He's at almost two weeks since his relapse. I plan to keep him on the strict crate rest he's on now for 4 more weeks and then to let him have a little less restriction. Right now, he's in the crate almost all the time. Only gets out to be carried out to potty and to sit on the couch occasionally. After the six weeks, I thought I'd let him walk out to potty ON THE LEASH (the little bugger tried to run one day! :shocked:) and see how he does. I'm feeling much more optomistic about him now.

Thanks for being such great friends and listening to my obsessing about his back and how he walks. Only real friends would do that. :rolleyes:

:pray: :pray: for bogart....I know this 6 weeks seems more like 6 years... crating a dog is much harder on the human than the dog.... GREAT JOB and I :pray: NO more relapse :hearts:

lotsadox
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I think having all of our thoughts channeled towards our DLC furpals getting better has helped! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

They do help! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

LexieLuvr
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
:appl: :appl: :appl: :banana: :banana: :banana: so happy to hear MORE great updates!! In case any are needed, I'm sending more get-well :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Lilly, Bogart, and ANY other furkid I may have missed! :hug99:

Otto'sMom
07-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Lily had a few more sutures put in her lip today, Daisy May had actually ripped her lip off, and the Dr. thinks that Lily had some form of osteoporosis because Daisy May weighs the same as she does and shouldn't have been able to do the kind of damage she did: Lily lost a good deal of bone out of her jaw, and the vet had to file down some of her tooth to make her bite fit better. I've got to go and get some moist cat food to keep her eating, but she looks like she's going to do much better. They shaved her front a bit to keep the mess from sticking to her face.

lotsadox
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
I have another update on Bogart. He had a minor setback yesterday. When I took him out of potty he was more wobbly again. I called my vet and she had me up his Pred again (we were weaning him off of it). :( And she's giving me a refillable prescription which I guess means he's gonna be on it a while.

I ordered a stroller for him today so I can move him from room to room because a lot of the time he barks when I'm out of his sight. Poor little velcro baby! :sosad:

LexieLuvr
08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh, no - poor Lily, and Bogart, too! More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: !

catstamm
08-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I have another update on Bogart. He had a minor setback yesterday. When I took him out of potty he was more wobbly again. I called my vet and she had me up his Pred again (we were weaning him off of it). :( And she's giving me a refillable prescription which I guess means he's gonna be on it a while.

I ordered a stroller for him today so I can move him from room to room because a lot of the time he barks when I'm out of his sight. Poor little velcro baby! :sosad:

OMG... I'm sooooo sorry. How old is Bogart? (I know I should know all this)... Are they sure the disk hasn't ruptured or something? It seems like you have be doing so good and things aren't working :( (or am I wrong about that?)
This must be killing you ....:sosad: Hang in there... :pray: for you both

lotsadox
08-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Bogart is 15 and I think that's a lot of the problem. He probably heals really slow at that age. I mean it's like what? 90? I've got an appt on Tues with the vet so I'll talk to her then.

When I took him to the e-vet, they x-rayed and there was no rupture, no arthritis, they really didn't see any problems except for the narrowing of the spaces between the vertebrae (whatever it's called).

catstamm
08-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh poor baby.... you are 100% right that age is not on his side... I know how frustrated you must be and feeling quite helpless.
And Xray won't show much, he would need a CT, MRI or Mylogram (sp?).... but at his age I'm not sure it would be fair to put him through all that...
:sosad:

Comfort :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both you and Bogie :hearts: