PDA

View Full Version : Taloola Belle

BethMH
01-17-2006, 10:55 PM
I went to the shelter today with Rueben with the hopes of introducing him to the male doxie that was posted late last week. I checked this morning and the doxie showed still available. Well, we got there, and he had been adopted on Friday afternoon and they had not yet taken his photo down from the Internet listings. :sad1: I hope he was adopted out to a good home! :pray:

While there, they told me about a female doxie - Taloola Belle, who had come in on Saturday. I decided to go check her out. Needless to say I fell in love. She is adorable. She's a 14 pound red and has a small face and big ears. She was so excited to see us. You could tell she was scared to death. All of the other dogs in the shelter right now are big and she is tiny compared to them. Taloola is an owner surrender. Her human dad is a parapalegic and apparently has some medical issues and upcoming expenses that won't allow him to keep her any longer. She is almost 8 years old. There's one problem - her breath stinks to high heaven! :shocked: I brought my daughter up there to meet her this evening and when we left she said she could smell Taloola's breath on her jacket and sure enough, you could. I looked at her teeth and they are brown. Obviously, she needs a dental, but I do not know how severe her problem really is. I've already checked with my vet on doing the dental. But I am wondering what are the chances that this horid odor will go away after getting a dental done. I probably should have asked. I have never smelled anything like this before.

Has anyone ever had this experience before and does a dental remove the odor? I would like to adopt her, but the smell has got to go. It really was repulsive. I have been around a lot of dogs in my life, even dogs with bad breath, but Taloola's breath takes the cake! Peeee...uuuuuuuuu!

I am taking Patches, my alpha female terrier mix, up to the shelter tomorrow. She is my biggest worry. I wanted to get a male doxie because I thought it would work out better with my female. She hated Rueben, but eventually came around. I do not know how she will be with another female dog. I guess the first hurdle will be Patches and how she does with Taloola. Rueben and Taloola had no problems, although he was asking a little scared of her. She wanted to play with him. If Patches will be okay with her, then we must get the breath issue resolved.

Any suggestions, comments, experience....welcome!

Beth

Helen
01-18-2006, 12:04 AM
No experience here, but I want to say good luck!! I hope everything works out tomorrow. I'm sure Rae will have some words on the dental as Duchie just got one done. Sending lots of adoption :bigrayz: :bigrayz: !

Linus
01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I hope everything works out for you! I don't know much about dentals...but here are plenty of adoption :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: .

Patt
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
If all your puppers get along I would go ahead with the adoption. :hearts:

First I would take her to your vets for a complete exam, booster injections if needed and most important her blood work. Dachshunds are not noted for having the best teeth and a lot of people ignore having the much needed dentistry done. I'm sure with a dental and extractions if needed her breath would improve, only your vet can advise you on this one.

Adoption and good health :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: on the way.

Fluffy
01-18-2006, 02:28 AM
When I adopted Heidi, her breath was AWFUL...I remember thinking pretty much all the same things you wrote..."Ugh my pants smell where she licked me, Buddy's head smells where she licked him" (I actually had to give him a bath!) A lof of her problem came from never having had a dental and rotton teeth. Once the rotton teeth were extracted and the rest of them were cleaned, the bad breath odor went away. Rotton teeth could be part of Taloola's problem!! They stink to high heaven!! I agree, though, that's a good question for your vet.
I hope everything works out with Patches and you can adopt her!! Keep us updated!!! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for the two girls to get along headed your way!!

Alex's Mom
01-18-2006, 07:57 AM
One of our fosters had the same bad breath thing happening...just like you described it! UGH!!:yuck: And sure enugh, just like Becca said, it was all about rotten teeth. when they came out, things got a LOT better!!! It probably also depends on what she's been eating too maybe? I seem to remember too reading somewhere that sometimes stinky breath can be caused by internal problems, but I can't remember what exactly... your vet can sort it out though, I'm sure!
Good luck and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that everyone gets along and this little girl has found her new forever home. Poor little thing... you're an :angel7: for sure!!

Nancy
01-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Molly had REALLY stinky breath before I adopted her. After getting two teeth removed and having the remaining teeth cleaned, her breath was improved 100%!! What I've done to keep her breath from getting nasty is brushing her teeth once a week and putting Oxyfresh in her water dish every day. Seems to working!

Best wishes on the adoption, I hope everyone gets along!

Jill
01-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh, I hope it works out for you and little Miss Taloola. I am pretty sure that a dental and some extractions will take care of the stinkiness. Give a call to the vet and ask him first thing. Um, can you bring your camera with you and take pics? :scratch:

Rae
01-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Firsthand experience on the Wonders of a Dental- Duchie'sbreath had gotten HORRIBLE- like make your eyes water (don't tell her I said that she would be embarassed)

I had not had her dental done on schedule becuase after her stroke in June we did not want to put her under anesthesia until she got healthy or unless it was an emergency.

I am happy to report her breath is sweet and fresh and we now have puppy kisses wtih no lingering affects. She had one tooth that had to be removed and one that was broken off even with the gumline- all better now.

Get the vet check, get the dental, get the pupper... she sounds like a sweet girl and I am sure she is terrified and missing her daddy and not understanding a thing.

Good luck!

Frzframe
01-18-2006, 12:19 PM
And yes the dental will do wonders for the breath. I have one now that needs to have her dental done. Don't tell her I that I call her "garbage breath and landfill mouth." :lol:

Wiener Mom
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Most of the dachshunds we get into rescue require dentals, as well as antibiotics to clear up infections from peridontal disease.

My Xena, (we adopted in November), supposedly had a "cleaning" just before coming into Rescue. Her breath, however was horrible. She required 11 teeth to be removed & antibiotics! Can you imagine how awful her little mouth must have felt? That's likely the way this poor little one's in the shelter is feeling!

One of my fosters, had such bad breath, we had to have all the car windows down on the way to the vet's! He lost 8 teeth & was on antibiotics for 10 days - but after that, he had the sweetest smelling breath!

When I picked him up at the shelter - he weighed a whopping 40 lbs! He was so overweight her could hardly walk! Today - his adoptive Mom reports he's a slim 29 lbs! (32 lbs when he was adopted & lfet my care) Here he is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/charlie1231/My%20Fur-kids/Murray.jpg

Nancy
01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
One of my fosters, had such bad breath, we had to have all the car windows down on the way to the vet's! He lost 8 teeth & was on antibiotics for 10 days - but after that, he had the sweetest smelling breath!

I'm sorry, but that is funny! Poor little guy! Good to hear he isnt offending anyone any more!

Wiener Mom
01-19-2006, 12:33 PM
lol! - You wouldn't have thought if you were in the car with him! And he was in the back seat!

BethMH
01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, apparently, Taloolah is a very dominant female. When she and Patches met, things did not go well at all. The two girls got into a fight and Taloolah bit Patches. If I was holding or petting Taloolah and Patches walked over to me, Taloolah growled and snapped. Rueben wasn't sure what to think of the situation with the girls. When he first met Taloolah the day before, he just ignored her for the most part. They occasionally smelled, but nothing major. He wasn't real thrilled when I loved on her, but he's a laid back kind of guy and he knows I love him to death.

Unfortunately, I did not feel comfortable enough that Taloolah and Patches would get past their differences. :pout: I am not an expert in dog behavior, so when it comes to working through female dominant issues, I haven't a clue. :confused: That's why I have always thought a submissive male would work better in our arrangement. I just thought I'd see how these girls would be when they met. Neither seemed interested in being friends. :mad1:

Patches is one of the main reasons why I have not signed up to be a foster. When Beamer died, she changed and I saw a side of her I had not seen before. Don't get me wrong - Patches is a very good dog. She's well behaved and is smart. She is very sweet and loving. But she's not fond of other animals. I think because Rueben is submissive and she can put him in his place, which she does do, that it worked out with him.

Maybe it's just not the right time for us to add on to our furr family and Patches made that perfectly clear yesterday. Maybe some of you who foster can give guidance on how you deal with bringing a new pupper into the pack. Does it work better with males? Do males tend to be more submissive than females? Are two dominant females ever able to get past their differences? How far will two pups take it if they really don't like one another?

So sad we couldn't add another doxie to our pack. :(

Helen
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out with the girls. It sounds like you know the kind of dog you need (submissive), and I'm sure he/she will come along when you least expect it.

K2
01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out. It just means that the right forever home is still out there for Taloola and your perfect match is still waiting to find their forever home too. Don't give up!!

Loren
01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
It's good that you saw what you did NOW rather than getting another pup and THEN having all of these issues crop up.

Don't worry..when the right dachsie comes, and I"m sure it will...You'll know it and be a :happy2: family!

Courtney
01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Maybe it's just not the right time for us to add on to our furr family and Patches made that perfectly clear yesterday. Maybe some of you who foster can give guidance on how you deal with bringing a new pupper into the pack. Does it work better with males? Do males tend to be more submissive than females? Are two dominant females ever able to get past their differences? How far will two pups take it if they really don't like one another?
(

Sorry I forget but how old is Patches? She's older right? I'm not sure I can really offer any great advice. Females are in general I think a little more territorial and sensitive but that is not always the case. Males can be dominant too but in general, neutered males are much more easygoing. It is not likely two dominant females can get past anything without serious work, and even then...

I think Patt can probably weigh in on this issue for you too.

In general I do think it is females/females that have issues and also unneutered or adolescent males. My Dane rescue will not place a male younger than 2 in a house with another male younger than 2. I have mostly young male fosters and have never really had an issue, and never with Napoleon. He is a total angel about the fosters, I couldn't ask for him to be better. When he was little though, I tried to socialize him with lots of other dogs, and he's always lived with another dog so that helps. Dax and Sanford have some spats, mostly started by Dax and then Sanford talks nasty back to him! There has never been a blown out fight but they do growl and bare teeth in a not-nice way. But this only happens when Sanford steps on Dax when Dax is sleeping, or Dax wants to hog all my attention for himself, or something. :D

I know I've talked to you about introducing on neutral territory and that is always a good idea. It does sound like a non-dominant male would be best for your situation.

BethMH
01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes, Courtney, Patches is older. We estimate 8-10 years - not sure since she was a stray we found roaming in our neighborhood. When I took her in, I had my neutered male who was an older dog. He was just a little grouchy when she first came along. He had been socialized around other dogs, but never lived with another dog. She was submissive to him and never ever questioned his position. When he went to Rainbow Bridge, and I took in Rueben, I was shocked at how she reacted. I really expected her not to think much of it since there were never problems with her and Beamer. She did adjust to his being there, but she was the aggressor and he always submitted.

Rueben was a 5 month old puppy and I did have him neutered when he was 7 months old. They have grown to be friends, but they do not snuggle like doxies. They play whenever she is in the mood. He has brought out another side in her that we did not see when Beamer was around. Beamer, being older, slept a lot and, as a result, so did Patches. She's fine being in a room alone when everyone else, including Rueben, is in the den watching tv. Rueben, however, likes being somewhere with someone all the time. I'm just a little bummed right now. Was looking forward to another doxie that maybe Rueben could grow close to and that my kids could enjoy more since I tend to hog all of Rueben's affection and snuggles.

I was afraid I might have problems with her, which is why I wanted them to meet. I am just really sad that they showed such strong aggression towards each other.

Linus
01-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Sorry things didn't work out! I'm glad that you went to the shelter with Patches though and figured this out before getting her home and finding out it didn't work. When the right dog comes along, you will know!

JanUet
01-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out for you and Taloola :hug99:

What you need is a submissive male. Sophie is the BOSS around here and makes that known to Casey. He doesn't have a problem with it. He is so laid back :rofl:

I'm glad that you took Patches to the shelter to meet Taloola. Best to do that then bring her home and all Heck breaks loose.

Your Submissive Male is out there just waiting to be with you and your family.:hearts:

Patt
01-19-2006, 10:31 PM
The aggressive behavior you are experiencing is not at all unusual among female Doxies. We had an older male mix (Dodger) and female (Gretel) who got along well with one another and with all of our cats. When Dodger began aging however, Gretel obviously longed for another companion, so we adopted Trixie, a younger female. Things went relatively well for a while, but once Dodger went to the “bridge” Trixie became more aggressive toward both Gretel and the cats. Eventually the cats cloistered themselves and Trixie began regular attacks against Gretel. When it appeared her aggression was aimed at killing Gretel, we sought professional help. Side note... At this time Gretel was being treated with chemo drugs and radiation for cancer.

Although no definitive explanation for Trixie’s behavior was given, some important information was obtained. First; as you know, some female Doxies can be extremely territorial. Also, they and miniature Poodles are different from all other breeds in one very important respect. Where other dogs generally live exclusively in the moment, Doxies and mini Poodles are like elephants. They never forget an offense and are quite capable of carrying a grudge. Once offended, they can bide their time until the right moment arrives for payback.

Two dominant females require constant attention, unless you’re “The Dog Whisperer”. On another “board” two rescuers had dominant female issues that resulted in one half of their problem being fostered elsewhere.

It would have been easy to return Trixie to the Rescue organization where we obtained her, but we didn’t. This was to be, and is her “forever home”. The solution to our problem was to permanently separate the two of them until Gretel too went to the “bridge”. Although the cats still remain in another part of the house, Trixie has developed into a wonderful and loving member of the family. If we ever consider another companion for her, it most likely will be an older laid back male who has no identity or territorial issues.

JanUet
01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
:wow: Patt! You amaze me!

I'm kinda shaking in my slippers right now, after reading your post. Especially this part:

First; as you know, some female Doxies can be extremely territorial. Also, they and miniature Poodles are different from all other breeds in one very important respect. Where other dogs generally live exclusively in the moment, Doxies and mini Poodles are like elephants. They never forget an offense and are quite capable of carrying a grudge. Once offended, they can bide their time until the right moment arrives for payback.

I'm happy to report that Sophie and I have made up after her pool of pee that I had to clean up and I even held her in my arms and subjected her to my singing:evilgrin: in which she returned the favour and HOWLED!!!

You facts are right on the Money! When Sophie was hurt, it was becuz my son ~Brett picked her up the wrong way. She yelped in pain for a while and then was fine or seemed to be. The next day she could hardly walk. She has not forgiven him for this and will not allow him to touch her. I best tell him not to be alone with her!!!!! :shocked: Can anyone say "CUJO!"

LUVMYGUNNER
01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I hope she finds a good home and that they don't PTS.

Mama S.
01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
So sorry that things didn't work out but how smart you were to try it before making a decision that could have been the wrong one! Your baby is out there, you just haven't crossed paths yet! Keep the faith! You can always send Rueben to visit the Herd!! THey'llplay wif him!!
sandi

BethMH
01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Patt - I had no idea that doxies could hold grudges or plot revenge. I sure hope I never do anything to Rueben that gets him thinking along those lines! :shocked:

You are certainly a better person than I! I don't think I could handle keeping a pet who was intent on killing another pet. I would be too afraid I'd make a mistake and the two would end up alone in a room together. Bless you for what you did! Apparently everything worked out.

I knew I might have an issue with Patches. The real test was how dominant another female might be. I've heard that female doxies can be quite dominant and very protective. I should have just stuck with my original plan of looking only at neutered males. As long as Patches is around, there won't be any other female pups in our house.

Funny you mention the Dog Whisperer. My son likes him and asked if we could have called him to come and help these two girls get along. It would have been interesting to see what he would have said. We just saw his show with the two doxies, but one was submissive. They were trying to control the dominant one with her aggression towards to the other doxie and towards other humans.

Thanks for the info. It never stops amazing me how much I learn every time I log in to this site. You all are a wealth of information!!!:thanx: :thumbsup:

BethMH
01-20-2006, 01:27 PM
So sorry that things didn't work out but how smart you were to try it before making a decision that could have been the wrong one! Your baby is out there, you just haven't crossed paths yet! Keep the faith! You can always send Rueben to visit the Herd!! THey'llplay wif him!!
sandi

Oh thanks Sandi!! He would love it! He might be intimidated at first - 8 to 1 - but once the play began, he'd get right into the middle of it I am sure! Maybe I can bring him along to Houston sometime. He loves car rides!

BethMH
01-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh thanks Sandi!! He would love it! He might be intimidated at first - 8 to 1 - but once the play began, he'd get right into the middle of it I am sure! Maybe I can bring him along to Houston sometime. He loves car rides!

Oops Sandi. I thought you lived in Houston, but that's Patrice and her gang! Who knows - maybe Rueben and I will travel by car to Georgia one day. Ya never know!

Mama S.
01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Oops Sandi. I thought you lived in Houston, but that's Patrice and her gang! Who knows - maybe Rueben and I will travel by car to Georgia one day. Ya never know!
2hours south of Atlanta - come on over!!!!
Sandi