PDA

View Full Version : Sardines - which kind to choose

Jen
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Help me out please! I know a few people (Courtney?) mentioned feeding sardines to their pups, and I'd like to give Tasha some as a special treat. I can get

1.regular sardines in water or

2. boneless, skinless, no salt added sardines in water

Which would be best to give Tasha? Are the bones and skin important for the nutrient value? I like the idea of low sodium though...

Thanks!!

Lisa
01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I give the regular sardines packed in water, the bones and skin are great for them. I am pretty sure that Courtney gives the frozen kind that she thaws out. I am going to see if I can find those in a grocery store here....but so far I haven't had any luck.

Loren
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Help me out please! I know a few people (Courtney?) mentioned feeding sardines to their pups, and I'd like to give Tasha some as a special treat. I can get

1.regular sardines in water or

2. boneless, skinless, no salt added sardines in water

Which would be best to give Tasha? Are the bones and skin important for the nutrient value? I like the idea of low sodium though...

Thanks!!

Yep..the bones and skin are important...From the www.dogaware.com site:

Fish: Sardines (packed in water, not oil), Jack Mackerel or Canned Salmon: Perfect ratio of meat to bones, plus full of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Never feed raw salmon or trout from the Pacific Northwest (California to Alaska), as it may contain a parasite that can be fatal to dogs. I don't recommend feeding tuna, as it is more likely to be contaminated with mercury, and does not include bones.

Jen
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll check for frozen. Otherwise, whole sardines in water it is!

Loren
01-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll check for frozen. Otherwise, whole sardines in water it is!

I just wouldn't give her too much at once or you'll probably end up with soft poop! :yuck:

Jen
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Nope, one or two at a time. You know I LOVE this dog as the smell of fish makes me want to :vomit:!

lotsadox
01-18-2006, 05:37 PM
And sardines are very stinky fish! That's why dogs love them! :rotfl:

Jen
01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I may wear one of the dust masks I have for cleaning....

Courtney
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Yep I think you want the bones too. Once I found WHOLE frozen sardines with the heads and everything. Now I can only find headless gutted ones. I looked at canned ones but could not find any in water!