PDA

View Full Version : Nail trim is important

alfina
01-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I know a lot of you struggle with your dogs to get their nails clipped. But it is important to have it done because long nails can cause a lot of problems. It can also be a factor in developing an arthritis in those paw joints. Here is some information:

http://crownroyalyorkies.com/nail_trimming.htm

I dremel my crew nails and I found this article particularly very helpful:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

hope it is helpful.

Lisa
01-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks Olga, I will attach it to my sticky for dachshund wellness.

Loren
01-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes..it also is important because long nails can contribute to back problems.

K2
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I take Pippit every month to get his done and he HATES it!!! I'm hoping that eventually he'll just get used to it and stop being a DRAMA KING!!

quavec
01-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks Olga! Cricket is horrible when it comes to his nails. I tried to do them myself while he was in the tub, but gave up. I find that if I cut back on my own pampering, I can afford to bring Cricket to the vet to have his done. It's only $20 every so often, so I don't mind sacrificing for him. His nails would sometimes snag on the carpet and I know that cannot feel good.

Patt
01-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Trixie's nails grow SO fast, she needs a trim every 3 weeks, unfortnately she hates it and must be muzzled for the techs safety.

Helen
01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
It's only $20 every so often, so I don't mind sacrificing for him.

:huh: Is that $20 only for a nail trim?

quavec
01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, $20 only for a trim. I've heard that is steep in some places. However, this is the vet's charges. A groomer may be cheaper but I prefer the vet. The vet's staff doesn't seem to mind that Cricket gets so nervous he pees all over the table and sometimes them. The groomer my mother uses is very snotty and I don't think they'd take a pee shower as something to laugh about. I use the vet for expressing anal glands also (only had it done twice). That price is also $20.

Helen
01-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, $20 only for a trim. I've heard that is steep in some places. However, this is the vet's charges. A groomer may be cheaper but I prefer the vet. The vet's staff doesn't seem to mind that Cricket gets so nervous he pees all over the table and sometimes them. The groomer my mother uses is very snotty and I don't think they'd take a pee shower as something to laugh about. I use the vet for expressing anal glands also (only had it done twice). That price is also $20.

Wow. My vet charges $9.50 (I think) for a nail trim. The Petco and Petsmart charge $8, but I prefer the vet as well. Cricket's lucky he has a mom willing to sacrifice!

Frzframe
01-19-2006, 04:04 PM
my vet only charges $5.00 and the groomer charges only $4.00 but I tip them so it's like $6.00.

Jacqueline
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
It's not that I don't want to trim Taffy's nails.....we are the pair that ran up and down Walmart's lot this afternoon in hopes of wearing any of them down a little :boogie: :boogie: ....and believe me I have tried. Files, taking her to the groomer (oh that went well :shocked: ) dremel, offering to bite them like I bite mine......:cheer2: :cheer2: .

What I failed to understand is that my sweet little:angel7: doxy is possessed by a half roxweiller half tasmanian devil demon that comes out anytime the words nails and trimmed are used in the same sentence. :evilgrin:

I haven't given up. I located the local dog park, and it has a walking trail, too. Hopefully a paved one. If not, back to the concrete walk somewhere. I would cheerfully walk her around the house, but seem to be plagued with unleashed pit bulls lately. That's another story. I don't dare set her down around here. And I am getting tired of being chased inside from my own front lawn. :mad:

I know they are long, I know they are sharp.....and at some point...they are going. I just hope we both survive.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I think everybody should trim their dogs nails themselves. I started with mine and have been doing them ever since.I have puppers with all black nails so I gotta be extra careful. It' s best to start when they are pups 'cos some dogs do have issues if they aren' t used to having anyone hold their paws.
The best nail trimmer is the scissor type. And the best time to cut is right out of the tub.

Helen
01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
I think everybody should trim their dogs nails themselves.

Easier said than done. I'm scared to death of doing Charlie's nails myself. I can barely watch it being done when I take him in!

:appl: Kudos to everyone who does it themselves.

Jacqueline
01-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I think everybody should trim their dogs nails themselves. I started with mine and have been doing them ever since.I have puppers with all black nails so I gotta be extra careful. It' s best to start when they are pups 'cos some dogs do have issues if they aren' t used to having anyone hold their paws.
The best nail trimmer is the scissor type. And the best time to cut is right out of the tub.

I got Taffy when she was 11 months old. She will let you hold her paw, massage her feet, play with the individual nails, even nibble on them if you want. And she is such an :angel7: about it.

Try to cut them? She turns into 10 pounds of Chuck Norris.
I'm still working on being Jacqueline Chan

Patt
01-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I think everybody should trim their dogs nails themselves.. So true and I use to, but due to my own health problems it is not feasible.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-20-2006, 10:58 PM
If you can do that you are 1 step away from nail trimming, you just show them who' s boss by not giving in & if you can get 1 nail done at a time, take a break, then try again you' ll make progress. Or at least try to file them down some.

Loren
01-21-2006, 07:58 AM
If you can do that you are 1 step away from nail trimming, you just show them who' s boss by not giving in & if you can get 1 nail done at a time, take a break, then try again you' ll make progress. Or at least try to file them down some.

DH used to do Chief's nails....and although he didn't put up MUCH of a fuss..I think it was harder on DH than on Chief! He loves getting them done at the groomer, and less stress for us so it's worth it!

Jacqueline
01-22-2006, 02:10 AM
Never let it be said that I am a quitter. We went to Petco today to get bones, kibble, her first toothbrush (now that Mommy has her convinced that we should brush our teeth everyday, and then admire our pretty toothers in the mirror)....and I picked up a nail clipper and a bottle of stepic powder. The clippers actually came with some, but after the last incident with one of my cockatiels.....

ever try flouring a cockatiel? :whack: She startled herself, leaped on the front of the cage, started beating her wings and broke a flight feather. She promptly started bleeding like crazy.....scared the wits out of me. We snatched her out of the cage, against her will, which she indicated by biting the **** out of my dh - 4 times - and just floured her until she stopped. Talk about everyone needing :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: after that. Sheesh.

So....anyhow....got clippers, powder...and went to the groomer who was working on a fairly large dog at the time....who did NOT want to trim those claws for me. We are so past nails....right into bear claws now. She suggested I take the demon animal to the vet and let them give her gas.
:shocked: Guess who will never be grooming my little :angel7: /:evilgrin:

So...all of you....remember me tomorrow in a moment of silence because we will be attempting to clip her nails....again....and I am a bleeder :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

puppyluv
10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm scared to cut Eva's and she won't stay still.. kinda like my 4 yr old. lol. Has anyone used the pedi paws?

http://www.pedipaws.com/index2.html?directLoad&uid=AD6AC5827F7D84517ADB9E977DC5F199

I'm thinking about getting one, so if you have one I'd love to hear your feedback!

Thanks!

Otto'sMom
10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I believe we panned the Pedipaws product for running out of power too fast. And good luck getting the nails trimmed by yourself with a 10+year old doxie who throws a temper tantrum like a 2 year old, and the rest of the poorly behaved anipals. I've tried. Numerous times to clip nails on Dolly, Pearl and the other Very. Bad. Dogs. I AM the boss. I will and HAVE pinned them by sitting on them, and muzzled them, and still I fail.:sosad:

lotsadox
10-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, if long nails cause health problems, Miller's doomed. Can't dremel or clip them. He gets so upset, his eyes roll back in his head and he looks like he's gonna have a seizure. The vet said when he gets like that not to even try and he always gets like that. :dunno:

Amanda
10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I didn't know this, thanks for posting it. Roxie gives me a hard time sometimes, she's gettin better now beacause I'm to stubborn. I'll sit there for an hour with her wiggles until she calms down.

Kasianni
10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I talk Mika and Theo every few weeks..use to take them to the vets and it cost 20 each! However, my sisters friend has a dog grooming business and we took them there this time 5 dollars each! Funny thing, at the vets we use to go in and hold them because they would go crazy and bark and be dramatic..when I took them to this new place, my sisters friend told us to wait outside...they both behaved perfectly when we were not there! No drama, no barking nothing! I think the acting up is when we are there! Just like kids!:rotfl:

Frzframe
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I can trim everyone but little Charlie. He's a devil when it comes to nails. He'll let me play with his feet but he knows the second I have the clippers in my hand and he goes nutz. I can now even do Buddy's toes although he likes to mouth me to try to scare me off but it don't work cuase I know he won't bite. :lol:

ebmw1975
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Well we do ours we clip then during the week I dremel off the edges, we are working on only dremmeling but that will take a bit longer. Jake is fine if I sing to him while the DH clips, Oscar is fine if he can lick my face, ears, ect while DH clips. But Barkly will growl and talk and fuss BUT only for his front paws, he could care less with his back paws :rotfl: . I wrap him like a burritto and poke 1 paw out at a time, well for the front two. He is so wiggly that being wrapped up helps calm him and he cant get away.
Barkly's nails grow SUPER fast so he gets clipped weekly to every other week, Oscar is in the middle about every other week-ish and Jake has s-l-o-w growing nails.

When I have to do on my own I wrap them up like a burritto and take one paw out at a time and it does take a bit longer but we get them done, its a LOT easier when I hold and DH clips :rolleyes:

puppyluv
10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
okay so the pedi-paws is just a glorified less powerful version of the dremel.. right? I didn't realize there was already something out there like this. So you can dremel your dogs nails and not ever cut them? Is it loud?

ebmw1975
10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
It just depends on which one you get. I have he blue cordless from Walmart and it isnt too loud, but it takes time to get my boys used to it. I think its the vibration more so then the noise for mine. Check out the links they have posted here, they really are a great help. Good Luck :cheer3:

Frzframe
10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
okay so the pedi-paws is just a glorified less powerful version of the dremel.. right? I didn't realize there was already something out there like this. So you can dremel your dogs nails and not ever cut them? Is it loud?

Some in CCDR really like the Pedi-paws which you can now get at Walgreens. I tried the dremmel with my gang and they all freak out really, really bad.

Tex
10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I am fortunate that all 3 of mine will let me dremel their nails without too much fuss. Jax likes to fight me for the first paw....but he always gives in. I just did Julie's nails the other night, and got half of Jenni done before I killed the battery on the dremel ($20 Walmart dremel-nothing special). I really need to get a video of me trimming the dogs nails, it's pretty funny!

alfina
10-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I posted pictures of mine getting thir nail trim a while ago.
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=1841&highlight=nail+trim