PDA

View Full Version : Dusty

Otto'sMom
08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
After fighting so hard to hang on, this morning I saw it in his eyes, and knew that it was time to help him go. He had a very bad night, threw up the food he'd eaten, and he could wag no more. His body was so limp, and he was suffering. I couldn't watch him struggle like this any longer, so I took him in.

Thank you all for the support you've given him, from his capture to the final chapter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi2238.jpg

catstamm
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh Andrea.... you gave it all you had to help that boy...and you did the right thing. You can ALWAYS see it in their eyes :sosad:
:hug99: :hug99: Hugs to you for being so strong , caring and compassionate:hearts:
RIP Dusty...your last days were blessed ones :angel7:

Courtney
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh Andrea, my heart aches for you guys and there are tears in my eyes. But we all know just as you do that you did all you could and if you knew it was time, then this was best. Rest in peace little man..... :angel7: :angel7: :angel7:

oceangirls
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh Andrea :sad2:, I am so very sorry. You gave him a very happy life and he knows how loved he is.

LexieLuvr
08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I am SO, SO sorry! I just don't know what else to say, except please know he is in a place of pure love!!! :hug99: :hug99: I am SO sorry. We were all pulling for him so hard.

Linus
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I am so sorry, Andrea! God speed to the Bridge little guy! :angel7:

Anatresia
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
:candle: I was dreading coming on here one day to read this. I am SO so sorry that his time with you was so short. You made the end of his life so happy and comforting, though. I'm sure he is thinking of you at the bridge. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Lee Anne
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
:sad1: :sad125: I'm so sorry Andrea. Thank you for loving him and trying to give him the best life had to offer. Thank you for sharing him with us. :please: :hug99: For your broken heart...

JanUet
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Andrea -- I am so very Sorry

You certainly went over, above and beyond for Dusty
I'm sure he knows that!

My eyes are filled with tears and my heart is heavy.
:thankyou: Andrea for giving Dusty all the love and support :hug99:
Your heart is HUGE and always in the right place.:heart14:

God Speed Dusty :pray:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
OMG I'm so sorry. He had a great few weeks with you and he knew he was very loved by you.
RIP little guy. :candle: :angel7:

Teddysmom
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
I was hoping I wouldn't come on here and see this. I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I'm typing this while I'm bawling my eyes out:sad1: :sad125: :sad3: . He knew such love and compassion in the short time he was with you; and I know he thanks you for all you did for him. Godspeed little man; you gave it your all and so did your Mamma as she loved you dearly. Lighting a :candle3: for the newest :angel7: at the bridge. I'll bet Louie was there to welcome him with open arms (paws, whatever):bighug: . Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your aching :heartbk: heart and tons of :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you my dear friend. You did all you could and THEN some.
RIP Dusty; you will be dearly missed:sad125: .

Da Brat
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh Andrea... I'm so very sorry! :hug99:

Otto'sMom
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I told him I wanted him cremated, but no smirky puppy tin urns, unless they had one that had his widdle tongue sticking out.

The vet's office is in the middle of moving to a new building (just up the road) and the last name on the whiteboard in the back in the old building was Dusty Newborg. That made me cry a little. He was such a sweet boy, trying so hard to fight that disease. The vet had to wipe a tear, and both technicians there were knee deep in kleenex with me, and I was hugged, and it was OK. I knew as I drove him there, that it was right.

And I'm fine as I can be: I'd made plans to puppysit a little shepherd puppy before I knew what was going on today, and I wouldn't back out at the last minute, so I'm reveling in puppy breath, and wishing Dusty had that as a baby.

Opaleyz
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
:sad1: Oh my I'm so sorry! :sad125: Rest in peace dear Dusty! :candle:

Tex
08-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Hard to type through tears........God Speed Dusty :candle2:

Frzframe
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm so sorry you didn't get more time with him but am so glad he did get some major love while he was with you. He had been through a lot and in the end had someone there to give him a life of love and happiness which is what matters the most in the end. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Be happy and free our little lasagna thief. :candle2:

Jen
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Trying not to start bawling at work here. I am so sorry Dusty lost his brave fight. :hug99: :hug99:

Oh Andrea, Dusty may only have had a secure and loving home for a short time with you--but he did have the chance to know happiness. You did right by him, at every step. :candle:

samandissy
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
I delayed writing this post a few times. I can't type with a lump in my throat and foggy glasses. I feel like he was my dog, too. I thank doG that he decided to run around where you could see him and even though he made you work for his capture, I feel that he was trying to get caught by you. Bless your heart Dusty, I am so thankful that you didn't die alone without love.

Yolanda
08-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Dear Andrea,

There are not words I can say to express my sorry for Dusty. This jsut tears my heart out.

YO

Otto'sMom
08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Sheila Trecartin (the communicater I use) emailed me and told me that he crossed easily and is running while floating on air~ He said to thank me for freeing him.

LexieLuvr
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow - how nice of Sheila to call you. Dusty is in a place of pure love, not that he didn't have it with you! He really is okay! :hug99: :hug99:

areese
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
doG bless you for knowing to do the right thing for him and being brave and loving enough to do it.
He is free now. No f-ing worms at the Bridge.
Run fast and happy little Dusty.

Rae
08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Sheila Trecartin (the communicater I use) emailed me and told me that he crossed easily and is running while floating on air~ He said to thank me for freeing him.

can't ask for much more than that. You loved him and he probably knew more love and tenderness in his last two weeks than he did in the other whole part of his life. That's worth a lot.

WWAD?? The very best she could and the very right thing, with all the love in her heart, that's what.

Godspeed, Dustbuster! :candle2:

Alex's Mom
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Andrea, I feel as awful as if it were Alex, and have been teary all afternoon since reading this. He tried SO hard to stay with you, right to the end. Bless you for having the strength to let him go. And thank you for bringing him not just into your heart but into ours too. Godspeed little man :candle2::candle2: :hug99::hug99:

alfina
08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
So sorry Andrea to hear such news. I am crying just like others here. You did so much for Dusty right to the very end and he knew you loved him so much. Big hug to you:bighug:

viener weiner
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I am so sad to hear this. At least Dusty knew love before he died. And, you did the very best you could for him; more than probably anyone else would have done. I hope you are ok. Love, Gina and Joy:sosad:

lotsadox
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Andrea, I'm so sorry. :candle: You gave Dusty the best days of his life and he knows it. You also did the hardest thing an owner can do. You made the decision to let him go without any more suffering no matter how much it hurt you. You suffered your pain of losing him so that he wouldn't have to suffer his physical pain any longer. That's the mark of a true :angel7:

Jill
08-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Andrea, I am so sorry to hear about Dusty. I was hoping that he would pull through. He is free and happy now, thanks to the love you gave him. :hearts:

michelehbc
08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh my God Andrea.
I am so so sorry.
I really wanted the little guy to pull through. I am just so glad that he had this time with you, to eat treats, play, lay on comfy beds and commiserate with mommy. You fought so hard for him, and I know that if you thought it was time, then it was time.
No matter how bad his life was pre-Andrea, I know that he went to heaven a happy puppy.

:thankyou: for being his :angel7: Andrea.

:hug99: :hug99:

Lisa
08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I am so sorry Andrea. :bighug:

:candle2: RIP little Dusty. :candle2:

Two Red Smooth's
08-31-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss...but thank you for letting him go with dignity, and putting his comfort before yours, letting go is never easy. :hug99:

Patt
08-31-2007, 09:01 PM
My heart goes out to you Andrea, I know what a difficult time this is for you.:hug99:
Thank you for being Dusty's guardian :angel7: I know he loved you very much.
I'll light a :candle3: for the newest little one at the bridge.

Mama S.
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh hell. I can't do this.

Mama

Otto'sMom
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh hell. I can't do this.

Mama

Me either, Mama. Me either.

LexieLuvr
08-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Oh, Andrea, I'd give anything if I could be there with you, to give you a hug and cry with you. I know you're hurting so badly right now and I feel so helpless. I'm so sorry. I've cried over this all day at work, and now I'm home and I'm still crying, as are you, I'm sure. I wish I could help.:hug99:

Otto'sMom
08-31-2007, 10:14 PM
It's one of those time will heal all wounds type of things, I guess. That's the hazard of loving dogs the way I do. It's the price I have to pay. Every tender glance, every happy wag gave me such great joy, because I knew that he never was appreciated for who he was, and I was so honored to be the recipient of his love and trust. I miss it. I miss him.

Jacqueline
08-31-2007, 10:46 PM
:hearts: :hearts: Dusty, I'll play with you later at the bridge. Til then, sweet pupper.

Red Haired Girl
08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
RIP Little guy :candle:. Run free at the bridge. Andrea, I am so sorry.:hug99:

laura
08-31-2007, 11:47 PM
OH no...Andrea, ...I don't know what to say other than I am so sorry. so unhappy. Damn sorry.

Rileybugg
09-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Oh- I just read this and I am so sorry Andrea. But not at all sorry that he made his way to you and your love. Many :hug99: :hug99: for your broken heart. oh crap i just blew my nose on my shirt........:hearts: :hearts:

AnnMarieK
09-01-2007, 04:00 AM
Andrea, I am so sorry... I just read this post... You certainly went above and beyond in caring for your Dusty boy. He was loved and cherished in your home. I hate that you're in pain when his irresponsible former owner should be the one suffering. I know he's at the Bridge happy and waiting for the day when you can be together again.......:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

HotDogMama
09-01-2007, 06:56 AM
:candle: RIP Dusty.

Sorry Andrea, I don't know what else to say. :hug99:

K2
09-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I am so sorry Andrea. I am glad that Dusty found his way to you~someone who gave him all she had and then some. :hug99: Run free, little guy. :angel7:

dachiehome
09-01-2007, 08:25 AM
RIP dusty you will have good company at the bridge.:angel7:

quavec
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
:candle: Godspeed Dusty. :(

Otto'sMom
09-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I find it so amazing that a dog who'd been let down by so many people throughout his short life got to experience such love and have so many people care about him in his last month.

I'm reminded of a short story about a cat. A woman adopted a cat who wasn't very loving and had been abused by people in the past. With time, the cat grew to love her and trust her, and then passed away. The goddess of cats, Bast, came to the woman and told her that she was going to be entrusted with the cats and souls of cats who'd been damaged emotionally in this life, and by staying with her and feeling her love, they would want to come back again and live out their karmic paths. (lt was an awesome story in a Catfantastic book)

I'd like to think that's what I did, what you all did, for Dusty. It hurts because we all poured our heart and souls into a dog who didn't know that all people don't suck.

If called upon again, I will not hesitate to help another dog, be it a doxie mix or not.

LexieLuvr
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
How right you are, Andrea, how right you are! And of course you'd do it again - so would I, and probably 99% of the others on this board. To get the unconditional love that we do from these awesome little creatures is worth giving your heart and soul (and wallet :)) away to them, always, without hesitation. If only the rest of the world felt that way.:hug99:

Rileybugg
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I lit a candle for Dusty last night. I did not read the post until last night, so that is when his candle was lit. Then the power went out.

For several hours the only light in our park was Dusty's candle and a tired moon.

It seemed appropriate for the little guy who was here for such a short time and made such a huge impact.

Thank you Dusty and Andrea for a wonderful love story. :hearts: :hearts:

Chris
09-02-2007, 07:38 PM
:sosad:

I find it so amazing that a dog who'd been let down by so many people throughout his short life got to experience such love and have so many people care about him in his last month.

You are right. Not only did Dusy find a great home, he had a fan club.

I am so glad you and this little guy found eachother, no matter how short the time was. Quality over quantity - that is for sure.

bsquared
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Andrea, I am so sorry to hear about Dusty. I want you to know that you are both in my heart and thoughts. You gave him such a loving home and such tremendous love, and he lived out his last days knowing he was loved and cared for. I know he is at the Bridge and at peace. :hug99: