PDA

View Full Version : Barking - question for Mary

Goob
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm sure others may have this problem too.

Snooter is quite a vocal little diva. But when mutter says "QUIET!" she stops barking. When dad says "quiet" she continues to bark. It's like he's begging her to stop barking - "Snooter quiet?". I've told him that the way he says "quiet" is like he's pleading with her so she doesn't take him seriously. When mutters says it it's quite commanding. :rotfl: Does this mean she sees me as alpha and not him? If so is it possible for BOTH of us to be alpha and both see results from "quiet"? :scratch:

Pokeys Mom
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm definately not the expert, but "Quiet!" and "Snooter, Quiet?" would sound like different words/commands if one was trying to learn a foreign language.

Have you heard people command "Stay!" then another person command "Staaaaaaay?" Seems to me that might be the problem.

From what I understand, an Alpha pair is very natural. ;)

Patt
01-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Sounds likes his "quiet" is not in a leaders voice. He should say quiet in a very assertive tone, if that doesn't work possibly saying her name first to get her attention and then the command. SNOOTER, QUIET!

p.s. Both of you can be pack leaders.

BethMH
01-20-2006, 11:42 PM
How does one know if they are a pack leader??? :scratch: I am sure Rueben would like to think he was the leader, but if he is submissive to Patches, then he wouldn't be - right? But I should be the leader - how can I tell if that's how they view me??

Linus
01-20-2006, 11:55 PM
There are some great books out there where you can find out if you are in charge. Leader of the Pack, and The Dog Listener can be found on Amazon and are must reads for every dog owner!

BethMH
01-20-2006, 11:59 PM
There are some great books out there where you can find out if you are in charge. Leader of the Pack, and The Dog Listener can be found on Amazon and are must reads for every dog owner!

Thanks! I'm making a list of everything I will need to get to become a better pupper mommie!

Patt
01-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Here's some questions to ask yourself.
While on a walk, does he or she walk in front of you?
Does your dogs go through the door first?
Do you serve your dinner before you eat your own?
Does your dog sleep with you?
Does your dog bump your hand to get petted and then you obey?
Do you repeat commands to get them to listen?
If you have answered yes..... then your dog is leader of the pack.
Don't feel bad if you answered yes most do, including myself but things around here have changed. :D
I highly recommend Leader of the Pack by Nancy Baer and Steve Duno and continue with The Dog Whisperer. :)

BethMH
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Here's some questions to ask yourself.
While on a walk, does he or she walk in front of you?
Does your dogs go through the door first?
Do you serve your dinner before you eat your own?
Does your dog sleep with you?
Does your dog bump your hand to get petted and then you obey?
Do you repeat commands to get them to listen?
If you have answered yes..... then your dog is leader of the pack.
Don't feel bad if you answered yes most do, including myself but things around here have changed. :D
I highly recommend Leader of the Pack by Nancy Baer and Steve Duno and continue with The Dog Whisperer. :)

I answer yes to some of those questions because I feel more comfortable that way. When I open the door, the puppers are waiting for me - I let them out. If we are coming in together, I let them in first so I know they are in. Same with walking. I'd rather than be in front than dragging them behind. I typically feed dogs first because I feed them earlier than we eat. I pet my puppers all the time. I know when I go potty, Rueben comes in there and sits up and begs for a belly rub, which he gets of course. Repeat commands - constantly! Patches will listen. Rueben - ha! different story. Depends on his mood and whether he detects I've reached my limit.

Guess that answers that! Not the leader of my pack. :shocked:

Books are on the list! Hmmm...now I know what I can do tomorrow while I'm waiting for Matthew to play through his chess tournament! :boogie:

Pokeys Mom
01-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Don't feel bad if you answered yes most do, including myself but things around here have changed. :D I grew up with cats. Being a newbie dog owner, I did almost all of those things too but have changed my ways. In the long run everyone is happier! :boogie:

Loren
01-21-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm sure others may have this problem too.

Snooter is quite a vocal little diva. But when mutter says "QUIET!" she stops barking. When dad says "quiet" she continues to bark. It's like he's begging her to stop barking - "Snooter quiet?". I've told him that the way he says "quiet" is like he's pleading with her so she doesn't take him seriously. When mutters says it it's quite commanding. :rotfl: Does this mean she sees me as alpha and not him? If so is it possible for BOTH of us to be alpha and both see results from "quiet"? :scratch:

Another thought...is DH the "softie" and gives in more with Snooter than you generally speaking? I know with Chief, I'm more the disciplinarian than DH is so when he is not behaving he usually doesn't listen very often to DH but when I say something he usually knows I mean business. Just a thought.