PDA

View Full Version : She's Freezing

Goob
01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Well living in SO Cal means no heater or AC in the house. It's pretty cold this morning - probably about 60 degrees in the house. Snooter is shivering like mad. I have a sweater and her parka on and she's still shaking. How can I warm her up? I thought about putting my heating pad in her crate but I'm scared the house will burn down! :scratch:

Loren
01-20-2006, 12:25 PM
How about wrapping her up in a blankie..or snuggle up with her in the bed under the blankies?:hearts:

Jen
01-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Snuggle Safe (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1074)

Microwavable, never too hot, and no dangerous electricity!

Or a hot water bottle if you have one..and you don't think Snoot would chew it!

Otto'sMom
01-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Play with her. Make her move. If she's just home while you're at work, down blankies kick hinder. Her own body heat from shivering will heat her right up.

jenfer
01-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I have those snuggle safe disk. Gi sleeps in her fleece on and she wears it almost all the time. Make her move and play a bit if you are home or leave tons of blankies when you are not home. Or just have her snuggle with the professor? :) Gigi shakes a lot and there isn't much I could do too, I just have her on my lap and put blankies on her.

oceangirls
01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Or just have her snuggle with the professor?

I was thinking the same thing. He looks warm and fuzzy.

Our heater broke a couple weeks ago, on one of the coldest nights of the year - of course. I think it was supposed to get down into the high 30s that night. The girls have one of their Target dog beds in their crate and I gave them a microfleece blanket in case they wanted to burrow under it, but they just lie on top of it curled around each other.

When it's cold, we often just light lots of candles and paraffin lamps all over the house for several hours in the evening before we go to bed - that really warms the house up! Of course that does not help you at this time :D

Jacqueline
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
When it's cold, we often just light lots of candles and paraffin lamps all over the house for several hours in the evening before we go to bed - that really warms the house up! Of course that does not help you at this time :D

We used to live in St. Louis, and it can get right chilly up there. We had one winter so cold that even with heat going, it was just plain frosty inside. In order to keep the birds warm, we brought lamps into the bird's room and set them around the floor, and turned on all the lights. You would be surprised how much warmth a 100 watt lamp will put out. So leave a few extra lights on. Safer than candles if you fall asleep.

oceangirls
01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
You would be surprised how much warmth a 100 watt lamp will put out. So leave a few extra lights on. Safer than candles if you fall asleep.

That's a great suggestion!

I'm from Missouri, too. I remember in 1989 or 1990 when we were in college in Columbia it was so cold we were taping blankets over all the windows because the air was getting in through the cracks :freezing: . We would also be driving somewhere and the accelerator pedal would freeze and get stuck down:shocked: . Below zero in the winter and 110 in the summer, how delightful. That must be why we all moved to Florida :D

Goob
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I just worry about her when I'm gone and she's in her crate. I think I will leave some lights on and also look into the safe warmer thing. :banana:

Pokeys Mom
01-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I just worry about her when I'm gone and she's in her crate. I think I will leave some lights on and also look into the safe warmer thing. :banana: Great! You are on the right track. Pokey loooooves his Snuggle Safe. If you get one, make sure there's room for Snooter to be away from it if it's too hot for her liking.

Funny how "cold" 50-60 degrees can feel without a heater! I caught myself saying, "Brrrrr!!" yesterday, then started laughing. (-Born & raised in Michigan.)

lotsadox
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
The microwaveable warmers are great. I have one that I use for a heating pad when one of the crew has back problems. It's filled with rice and you just pop it in the microwave and put it on their back. You don't have to worry about it getting too hot. It just gradually cools, but stays warm for a long time. They also have some the you put in the freezer. They're really good when you need cold or need to alternate heat and cold.

Loren
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
The microwaveable warmers are great. I have one that I use for a heating pad when one of the crew has back problems. It's filled with rice and you just pop it in the microwave and put it on their back. You don't have to worry about it getting too hot. It just gradually cools, but stays warm for a long time. They also have some the you put in the freezer. They're really good when you need cold or need to alternate heat and cold.

Hmmm..when I have some *extra* Chief money, I think that's something I'd like to invest in. I'll have to search around to see where it is the cheapest.

Loren
01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Found it for 10 bucks so far on e-bay

Snuggle (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Snuggle-Safe-Microdisc-Dog-Cat-Bed-Warmer-9959_W0QQitemZ7738244397QQcategoryZ66762QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Loren
01-20-2006, 05:24 PM

So where do you get these that can be both used for HOT *AND* cold? The snuggle one is just for warmth.

Mama S.
01-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Being in the middle of a month long hot flash - 60's would be wonderful!! J & I are always at odds - my heater vent is shut off, the bedroom window is open and he whines It's Colld in here, well goober put some clothes on!
My poor baby - her don't need to be cold! Does she have a snuggle sack?? I'm braving the sewing machine this weekend, see wht I can whip up - right after I sew my fingers together:rotfl: :rotfl:
Sandi

Goob
01-20-2006, 06:05 PM
My poor baby - her don't need to be cold! Does she have a snuggle sack?? I'm braving the sewing machine this weekend, see wht I can whip up - right after I sew my fingers together:rotfl: :rotfl:
Sandi

Two things:
1. No she doesn't have a snuggle sack
2. Please don't sew your fingers together!!!! :rotfl:

Here's the plan Sandi, you come here where it's a cool 60 degrees, use MY sewing machine (this way you can show me how to put the bobin back in) and visit your grand-weens!

oceangirls
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm braving the sewing machine this weekend, see wht I can whip up - right after I sew my fingers together:rotfl: :rotfl:
Sandi

We might have a Moderator who has some personal experience with sewing fingers, but I won't mention her name. She knows who she is. :evilgrin:

Goob
01-20-2006, 07:25 PM
We might have a Moderator who has some personal experience with sewing fingers, but I won't mention her name. She knows who she is. :evilgrin:

Does her name rhyme with "planet"???? :rotfl:

Patt
01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Lots of great ideas! :banana: If you are going to be home I would use the heating pad on low temp only.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
I would get the warmers Tanya recommended.

FL030+
01-20-2006, 08:54 PM
We have 2 snuggle-safe discs for Prickles. A few mins of microwaving and she can have warmth all night or day. The heat lasts for between 8 and 14 hours contingent on how it is wrapped (insulated in blankies). Over time it can get uncomfortably warm if it is not wrapped in an old towel, blankie or such or if the hog/dog can't get off it.

Anatresia
01-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Why doesn't the professor share his warmth? Surely he must be warm under all of that fur!!!

I always keep Rigby in a sweater on colder days. She is pretty used to it now. They have more blankets in this house than Paul and I do, which they burrow in. And they constantly lay in piles.

Mr. Butters went crazy for the heating pad Paul used when he broke his foot. And my friend warms her dog's bed in the dryer before she begins work.

We are all pros up here at keeping our doggies warm!!!

LUVMYGUNNER
01-20-2006, 10:22 PM
If nothing else get a small space heater and put it near her crate.

Loren
01-21-2006, 08:00 AM
If nothing else get a small space heater and put it near her crate.

I'd be SO afraid with this...