PDA

View Full Version : Not a dog, but in my heart always

areese
09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Today is the 2nd anniversary of the death of my dear friend, Lois.
I met Lois at our local art association. She was a weaver..very talented. When we met, even though she was 25 years my senior, it was like we had always been friends.
We were on the Board of Directors of the art association together and during a meeting in the fall of 2004 I noticed she was repeating herself a lot and becoming a bit agitated and strange. I was really worried...I got someone to call her daughter and by the time she got over to check on her, she was unconscious on the floor. It was a brain aneurysm. They did not expect her to live, but she did, despite getting an infection in her brain after the surgery.
I began visiting her a lot in the nursing home...she didn't know who I was anymore but she did get better and better....then she was diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread into her liver. I took her to chemo (her daughter had to work) for a few months. Then they found more cancer in her brain. I took her to radiation....
Laika went to the nursing home with me often and also we took Lois to the park. That silly dog would pull her wheelchair around the whole park path!
Lois got her wish to spend the summer of 2005 at her home. Then the cancer was back again, in her spine. They opted for no more treatment (thank doG) and we lost her on Sept. 11.
Through it all she was so brave. She was always a crusty old woman but I swear she got sweeter despite all she went through. She was always grateful to me and never bitter. I don't think I could be as brave as she was.
I miss her lots still.

Tex
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Ok, I now have tears streaming down my face. Thank you for sharing her story with us Amy. I think you wrote a wonderful tribute to someone who was obviously a wonderful friend!:hug99: *sniff*

quavec
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
What great friends ya'll were together.

:hug99:

Jen
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
A wonderful story Amy, thank you for sharing her with us. She sounds like a strong woman, to survive so much, and she was fortunate to have such a good friend in you.

Opaleyz
09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
What a great tribute to a brave woman.

LexieLuvr
09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
A wonderful story Amy, thank you for sharing her with us. She sounds like a strong woman, to survive so much, and she was fortunate to have such a good friend in you.
Huge Ditto!!! Thanks for sharing her story.

lotsadox
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: Losing a good friend is so hard.

Lee Anne
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Amy, thank you for sharing the story of such a brave, sweet friend. I'm so very sorry for your loss but I'm glad to know someone who would step up and help out the way you did. :hug99:

Patt
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
You were both lucky to have known each other. Thank you for sharing her story. Many :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you on this day.

oceangirls
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry Amy :(. Thanks for sharing her story with us. You and Laika were good friends to her!:hearts:

areese
09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry Amy :(. Thanks for sharing her story with us. You and Laika were good friends to her!:hearts:

She liked Laika a lot. Laika liked to go to the nursing home, mostly cuz she has a thing for kleenex and she could go under Lois's bed and find used kleenex and shred it. Lois liked to walk Laika around the place too and show her off :)

lotsadox
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
How sweet! :hearts: :hearts: I used to take Bogart to the nursing home to see my mom. He loved to sit in her wheelchair with her and she'd pet him.

areese
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
How sweet! :hearts: :hearts: I used to take Bogart to the nursing home to see my mom. He loved to sit in her wheelchair with her and she'd pet him.

For awhile I thought Laika could be a therapy dog cuz she is very outgoing and friendly and so soft and a good size for it but alas, she has a very bad habit of barking like a fiend at people who walk funny.

Alex's Mom
09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
What a beautiful story, Amy. I truly believe that the members of our true family are not necessarily related by blood, but that we find them anyway. I think this was the case with Lois. Sending you :hug99::hug99::hug99: on a tough day.

Rileybugg
09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
What a beautiful tribute to a special friend. I love the thought of Laika going under the bed and getting the kleenex. :hug99: :hug99:

oceangirls
09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
For awhile I thought Laika could be a therapy dog cuz she is very outgoing and friendly and so soft and a good size for it but alas, she has a very bad habit of barking like a fiend at people who walk funny.

Dogs are funny :). You wonder what she's thinking :scratch:

Cassie is a Kleenex fiend too (or paper towels)

Claudine
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
There is surely a special place in heaven for a woman who endured so much & still remained a sweet & loving person. I don't know if I could be that brave. I'm so glad you two found each other. I think God sends angels to help us in times of need & you were her angel. She might just have been yours, too. May she rest in peace.