PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a bandana that fits?

Jacqueline
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I have three really cute bandana I found at Walmart with bone and paw prints on them, and want to cut them down to fit the girls. I also want them to actually fit. So I have tried to make some using other material first. I found a pattern online and used it, but they don't fit right. I guess it is like other things....because they are dachshunds, they need to be made different.

I see other puppers with such cute ones. Can someone tell me the secret to making them fit right?

Two Red Smooth's
09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Do the girls wear collars?

If so I just bought a pattern that has the ones you slide on the collar I can send you. As for the ones that you just tie on...I have no clue My bought one and I've asked her to bring it over so I can trace it out, only thing is I want it to velcro for safety issues. not that they'd be alone in it, but should something happen I'd feel better knowing it could break away.

McCalls M5016 is the pattern, since you seem to sew I found e bay is a pretty good place to buy patterns too, you don't have to wait for a sale.

Neshane
09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I make collar covers for all my doggie customers....I cut 4"x 22" strips of material, I use a serger machine to sew the long ends together. Or you can sew them on a regular machine then turn the long pieces and then insert collar in the long tubes.
To make bandanas, I take a yard of material, cut large squares with pinking shears. To make different sizes I just keep cutting diagonal. See if this drawing helps..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/plexiq/untitledSmall.jpg

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I make bandanas that closes with velcro--you can make them reversable. I have a pattern if you want one--its made for doxies. Before I attach the velcro, I try it on one of the dogs, close it, to where I think its a good fit, then I put a pin on one side then when you take it of the dog--close it and it gives you the area where to put the velcro.

Jacqueline
09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I make bandanas that closes with velcro--you can make them reversable. I have a pattern if you want one--its made for doxies. Before I attach the velcro, I try it on one of the dogs, close it, to where I think its a good fit, then I put a pin on one side then when you take it of the dog--close it and it gives you the area where to put the velcro.

Please. My girls wear harnesses instead of collars. So as much as I appreciate the patterns for the ones that slip over collars, they won't work for us.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Jackie did you want the pattern for the velcro bandana? Do you also want the pattern for a harness?

Jacqueline
09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Jackie did you want the pattern for the velcro bandana? Do you also want the pattern for a harness?

No....I know my limited sewing skills, lol. I have puppia harnesses for them, and those fit so nicely.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Did you want the bandana though?.......... If you can make the bedding you did you can make the harnesses.

Jacqueline
09-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Did you want the bandana though?.......... If you can make the bedding you did you can make the harnesses.

I want the bandanas. The bedding is just like making a pillow case. I get to make new bedding. My new crate arrived this afternoon.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I will try to get it off tomorrow. For Petunia I always put a little lace on it. I also make them reversable. I use maybe a solid on one side and pattern type on the next side.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0314.jpg

Jacqueline
09-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I will try to get it off tomorrow. For Petunia I always put a little lace on it. I also make the reversable. I use maybe a solid on one side and pattern type on the next.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0314.jpg

She is so cute in that. And a bobo in one piece....how unusual :rotfl: :rotfl:

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Jackie she still has that bobo-she has had it for a year. Gunners last maybe 15 minutes.