PDA

View Full Version : Shelter refuses to give back dog

Loren
01-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Here's the story (http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=7on_your_side&id=3829093)

Helen
01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh, that poor woman. It sounds like things aren't run very well at that shelter.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the new owners could understand that Baby belonged to someone else for 5 years, had (presumably) a good life with them, and only due to traffic could not be picked up in time?

Obviously that woman should have had her dog licensed, but still. :( :sosad:

Loren
01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the new owners could understand that Baby belonged to someone else for 5 years, had (presumably) a good life with them, and only due to traffic could not be picked up in time?

Yea..I think any understanding and loving animal person would do the right thing and give the baby back.

quavec
01-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Yea..I think any understanding and loving animal person would do the right thing and give the baby back.

But that is the key: understanding and loving animal person. I hope they DO contact the TV station and allow Baby to go back (assuming all is ok in her former home).

I like that the station added the lesson on licensing. Could have save a huge heartache.

Michelle
01-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I think that it total irresponsibility on the part of the shelter, they knew very well that the owner was coming for their dog and to put the dog up for adoption when they knew the owner was found and was coming to get the dog seems to me very illegal.

Our local shelter must hold a stray dog for three or four full business days before they put the animal up for adoption, and of course within that time if the owner is located and tells the shelter they are coming to get the dog, then that dog or cat is not even made available for adoption. They will work very hard to allow the owner to come in for the pet.

I think that woman has a case against the shelter, also given the fact the website gave out wrong info,,

I do think it was very irresponsible though on the owners part not to have had a collar with a name tag on the dog as well as have the dog microchipped. She does not appear to be a very responsible pet owner, but I still think she has a legal case against the shelter in getting her dog back.

It is not like she turned up after they adopted out the dog, she notified the shelter immediately that her dog was there and at that point that dog should not have been made available for adoption at all.

This makes me MAD :mad:

lotsadox
01-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I think it's very irresponsible on the part of the shelter. They should have held the dog for her. I also think it's extremely thoughtless and selfish of the new owners not to give the dog back to it's owner. They hadn't even picked her up yet and couldn't be as attached to her and her original owner. They should have done the right thing and given the dog back. They could find another dog. It's not like the shelter doesn't have any other dogs. I"m sure that like all shelters it has a lot of dogs up for adoption.

Patt
01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
That happened a few years back in another county here. I think in the end the original guardian got the dog back but it was a huge legal hassle. A simple Microchip or license would have solved the problem. Yes, the shelter screwed up but it is probably another case of a person not wanting to pay the city for a license because the dog is never out of the house.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
It' s very sad. But I agree the shelter is at fault. They weren' t suppose to put the dog up for Adoption & how did someone adopt it if the dog was still there?
I don' t understand how they told her she couldn' t get it back when it was still there! They could have given her dog back!

Nancy
02-02-2006, 09:44 AM
The shelter is totally wrong. They should of given her the dog back, because the owner was there in 5 days. What a bunch of jerks. hopefully the adoptive dog parents will give the dog back.