PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn

Courtney
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I can't believe I have to write this. Brooklyn, the most beloved big dog I've ever met, died today. She was hit by a car in an accident after a bath at the pet supply store where Amy works. Amy is devastated and I am heartbroken as well. I feel like one of my best friends has died. Napoleon's big sister is looking out for us from above now. Sleep well my big girl. I will miss you forever and I will NEVER forget you. You were my inspiration to get started in rescue and I love you so much.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/90077761_47e9f4f125.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/2701638_bab7601723.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/24936469_48046555e8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/22283548_132d8f1e0a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/14095378_5f0619f667.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/10/11909348_a068c5b3c6.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/4330425_e45e3fbee3.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/2565638_78547c5269.jpg

Opaleyz
09-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh, gosh :sosad:. She & Napoleon looked so cute together.

:candle2: :candle3: :candle2: for Brooklyn.

:hug99:

oceangirls
09-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Oh noooooooooooooo

I'm so sorry, Courtney! I remember how much we enjoyed the Brooklyn and Po pictures. She was such a beautiful girl, and sounded like such a sweetheart.

Please tell Amy how sorry we are :sad2:

:candle:

Lisa
09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh my God! NOOOO! Courtney I am so so so sorry. My deepest condolences to Amy, you and Adam. This is so heartbreaking. Poor Amy. Brooklyn will always be our biggest Doxie. RIP sweet beautiful girl.

I have a black and white photo of her and Po that I still use as one of my work back ground pictures.

:sad1: :candle: :sad1: :candle: :sad1: :candle:

HotDogMama
09-29-2007, 06:52 PM
R.I.P Brooklyn :candle: I'm sorry Courtney!! :hug99:

Frzframe
09-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Nooo this is awful. :hug99: :hug99: I'm so sorry please let Amy know we are thinking of her and sweet Brooklyn as well as you and Adam. :hug99: :hug99:

Otto'sMom
09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Damn. My deepest sympathies.:sosad:

Linus
09-29-2007, 07:35 PM
OH NO!!! I am so very sorry!!! I am bawling! Please share my condolences with Amy! I will light a candle for all of you tonight. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: God speed, Sweet Brooklyn.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
OMG I can't believe that.....I always enjoyed the pictures of her and Po.
RIP :candle: beautiful big girl.

jenfer
09-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh no! RIP, Brooklyn.

Jen
09-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh Courtney, I'm so so so so sorry to hear this. Did it happen in Manhattan? My heart goes out to everyone who loved sweet Brooklyn. She and Po were so sweet together. :hug99:

catstamm
09-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh I'm so sorry Courtney....What wonderful pictures you have, to remember the good times ..
RIP Brooklyn :pray:

alfina
09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I can't believe this. She was so loved by us here and you and Adam of course. Please let Amy know we grieve with her.

quavec
09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, Courtney. Two emotions hit me like a freight train when I saw the title to this thread. The first was joy - I thought I'd see some current Brooklyn photos. Then I got goosebumps and my eyes teared up - when I saw where this title was.

Brooklyn made me fall in love with Great Danes. Seeing her pics with Po made me see her as this loving gentle giant. I can't believe she's gone.

God Speed Brooklyn. You were loved by many.

:hug99: to Amy and you and all who loved her. :hug99:

Mama S.
09-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Amy please send love from us to Amy - Brooklyn made us understand that it wasn't the size of the dog but the heart that made them special! I adored seeing pics of her - especially thoe with Po! I thought of her just yesterday when Freecycle had a Dane on it here. I referred the lady to rescue so maybe some good will come for a pal.
Rest sweet Brooklyn - play at the bridge and know that we will see you soon.
MAma

Red Haired Girl
09-29-2007, 09:49 PM
:sosad: Brooklyn was such a sweetheart. I remember when Napoleon was so sick. She was by his side every step of the way. Heaven just got a Great Dog.

Tanya
09-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm really sorry Courtney and Amy. Brooklyn was a part of our doxie family and we'll all miss her very much. :sosad:

lotsadox
09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I"m so sorry, Courtney. I remember Brooklyn and all the cute pics of she and Po. I'll light a :candle2: for her and keep you and Amy and all who knew Brooklyn in my :pray: :pray: :pray:

michelehbc
09-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh, no! Those pictures have my all teary eyed. I am so so so sorry for your and Amy's loss. Dang, what else can I say but I am so sorry. :hug99: :hug99:

Rileybugg
09-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm so very, very sorry. What a cutie. :hug99: :candle3: :candle3:

Patt
09-30-2007, 02:35 AM
OH NO!!!!

This is so upsetting I couldn't even post earlier. I am SO sorry Courtney.
I will light a :candle3: for Brooklyn. :pray:

AnnMarieK
09-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Oh Courtney, I am so sorry. I always loved the photos of Brooklyn & Po. I never realized what sweethearts Danes are until I read your posts. Please let Amy know how much we all cared about her big girl............

Alex's Mom
09-30-2007, 07:42 AM
OH NO!!!!
This is so upsetting I couldn't even post earlier. I am SO sorry Courtney.
I will light a :candle3: for Brooklyn. :pray:

Me too...I was in tears reading this. I just adored those pics of the gentle giant and her little buddy. :candle2:Godspeed Brooklyn.
:hug99::hug99: for you and Adam and Amy.

K2
09-30-2007, 08:58 AM
:tissue: I am so sorry Courtney!!! I am shocked(as I'm sure you are)to read this and so, very sad. I'm in tears for you and your family. :hug99: RIP to our gentle giant:angel7:

Jill
09-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Brooklyn. I loved seeing pictures of her.

:angel7: Sweet Girl.

Reesie's_Mom
09-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Oh no, this is so sad. I'm so very sorry for your loss. She is so beautiful and the pics of Brooklyn and your doxie are so beautiful.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers! :hug99: :hug99:

LexieLuvr
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
OMG, how incredibly TRAGIC! My deepest sympathies to everyone over this huge loss! I am SO sory!! :hug99: :hug99:

Rafi
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I got home this morning at 4:00AM after a long shift at work, and I wasn't accepting what I was reading, and when it finally realised what I was reading and what happened, I felt very angry.

I will :candle2: and :pray: for Brooklyn, a gentle giant and a great role model for all Danes.

She will be missed.

JanUet
10-01-2007, 06:17 AM
No! I am in shock! OMG!!!!!! Not our Brookie????

My eyes are filling with tears as I write this, I am so :sorry: Courtney!
Please pass on Our condolences to Amy.

My heart is So very heavy.
I just can't believe this.............

God speed Brooklyn :angel7:

Rae
10-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Oh my God! NOOOO! Courtney I am so so so sorry. My deepest condolences to Amy, you and Adam. This is so heartbreaking. Poor Amy. Brooklyn will always be our biggest Doxie. RIP sweet beautiful girl.

:sad1: :candle: :sad1: :candle: :sad1: :candle:

Oh Courtney, I am so sorry to hear this news. Brooklyn photos are among my fave and of course I love the doxie/gentle giant combo !

Thank you for posting such a wonderful tribute to her, and again I am so sorry your heart is breaking.

Lisa
10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Going through my pictures here, I started to cry at work.

This is the one that I use as my back ground picture all the time.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1329/1468116838_4089a70cdc.jpg

Her and Po were just so sweet together. Brooklyn was such a special girl. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for your broken heart Courtney.

Tex
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
:omg:I just saw this.......*sniff*......

Those are wonderful photos!:hearts: RIP sweet Brooklyn :candle2:

LUVMYGUNNER
10-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Lisa I love the picture you posted.

ebmw1975
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
:sosad: I am so sorry! I love her name as it is one of my nicknames. I will keep all of you in my prayers and light a :candle3: for her journey.

Reesie's_Mom
10-01-2007, 07:35 PM
OMG Lisa, that is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen!

Romandachs
10-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I am SOOOO Sorry for this GREAT Loss. Huge Hugs and a BIG rays too all who loved Brooklyn and will find life just not quite the same without her. I too enjoyed all the posts about Brooklyn and Po.
Rest In Peace sweet girl, we all loved you so much!

yourmomsage
10-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I am so sorry for your loss!

brooklyns_mom
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Courtney forwarded me the link to this thread. I'm overcome with thanks to everyone that said something about Brooklyn. She truly was my sidekick and I feel so lost without her. She has, and always will have, a huge part of my heart.:angel7:

After it first happened I blamed myself. What could I have done differently to keep this from happening? I replayed the situation and the image of her running joyously out in to the street after her bath and the horror in the minutes that followed. I pictured her in the garden collapsed and then at the vet when he said he couldn't find a heartbeat. Those scenes haunted me for days. Slowly the details of those scenes are beginning to fade. I'm able to remember her as the always was, a happy loving dog. She was that way until the second she passed.

Now I come home, the apartment feels empty. I think i hear her tags clinking together as she moves. I have her collar wrapped around a Virgin of Guadalupe candle that I've been lighting every night until I go to sleep. There are so many things I do on a daily basis that used to involve her. I'd come home and get her before walking to buy milk even though I passed the store on my way from the train to the apartment. I'd save all those plastic bags for "recycling." I just knew I wouldn't come home to an empty apartment or even an empty doorway as she could always distinguish my footsteps from others coming up the stairs.

She touched so many people. Even though we'd been certified for therapy work we never got to do it, as there weren't any facilities close to us and I don't have a car. Thinking back on it though, I am positive she began her therapy work 4 years ago when she was born. She certainly was my therapist and made so many people smile or just relax and sit back in wonder when she was around. She had the most soulful eyes I'd ever seen on an animal.
I will never ever be able to forget her. She'll be in my thoughts forever.
I've decided to have a benefit/memorial for her. The proceeds from the benefit will go to Great Dane Rescue of North Texas and Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League. I feel the best way to keep her memory alive is to continue to do rescue work with danes. She crept her way into my heart more than any creature has and I don't ever think I'll be able to replace her. I wouldn't even try, but I know there are other danes who need my help.

I've also had a reading done by Sheila Trecartin. Courtney said she'd helped some of you on the board out with issues with your dogs. She also does readings on dogs that have passed. She said she'd contacted her yesterday and said that she has completely passed and that she is fine. In addition she commented that she is "a very sweet soul." She had another emergency to deal with but I should be receiving the full transcript today. I will be sure and share it with all of you, as I think she'll not be speaking only to me but everyone who loved her.

If anyone would like to donate in memory of Brooklyn for her benefit you can do so via paypal with my email address: amylubinski@gmail.com

Thanks again everyone for all your support. It really shows how much Brooklyn was a huge part of so many peoples lives.

xo.
Amy

Lisa
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Thank you for posting Amy, I have been thinking of you constantly.

Lots of hugs for your broken heart. I am so happy you are continuing your work for Dane Rescue in her honor.

You are right, she was a very special girl and I thank you for sharing her with us.

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Lee Anne
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Courtney and Amy, I've read this post several times and looked at her beautiful pictures. Words can't really begin to express how sorry I am for your loss, but I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you.

brooklyns_mom
10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I wanted to share this with all of you. My comments are in red.

Brooklyn Reading Oct. 3 , 2007

The following is my direct communication with Brooklyn. Please keep in mind that this is her perception of how she views her life as Brooklyn. Also realize that animals communicate through thought pictures and feeling sensations (telepathy). It is not a dictation. I take the images and feelings and do my best to translate them into words so that you can understand what is being sent. Your open mind is required to best receive these messages. Also be aware that pets are much more perceptive and aware then we give them credit for. Often they are aware of things we do not think they would ever know.

~Brooklyn is safe and well in spirit. (this was my most important concern)

~Brooklyn shows a flash and sends the feeling of severe head pain and her breath being taken away. She shows difficulty in breathing.

~She says everything went black on her and then she was met by a woman with a soft brown hair that was surrounded in a glow. (This is possibly me? I was kneeling over her when she came back into the garden) She explains that she felt all over peace and no pain at this point. She says she still feels very light headed and is still adjusting to the change.

~She says things happened very quickly and she is not even sure exactly how it happened but she does remember feeling an impact.

~She shows a street that has a turn/bend in it. She says it is a busy street with lots of things always going on, lots of people around and out and about, lots of activity. (This street is very busy and does have a bend in it right before you reach the corner where the store is)

~She apologizes to you for having to leave you. She shows she comes and sits beside you often and leans up against you. She is still around you.

~She says she didn't always listen to you and often went and did her own thing and she is sorry. She realizes you were just trying to protect her and wanted the best for her. She sends you deep love.

~She shows another dog that was around her that is black. (I asked her further questions about this......perhaps Napoleon?)

~She says she misses everything.

~She shows laying on the bed with the window open. This is one of her favorite things to do/places to be.

~She says you used to laugh at her because she acted a lot like a person sometimes. Brooklyn says you treated her this way too. :)

~She says your respect and love are in her heart and she thanks you for all you did for her.

~She says you are struggling right now and feel very lonely and she is so sorry. She say she never meant to leave you alone.

~She talks about you sleeping with the light on. (probably the tv on at night)

~She shows coming to the door way of your room and watching to make sure you are okay.

~She speaks of a special red blanket. (She had two fleece blankets that were both red that I put on top of her dog bed)

~She says you often referred to her as being "goofy"/silly. She says she likes that she made you laugh and added happiness to your days. She feels that was her mission in life...to show you happiness and love. (I used the words silly and goofy almost exclusively when I talked to her.)

~She talks about a dish rack and this being important but I am not clear on this message. (I just got a new dish rack but I'm not sure why this would be important. I washed her bowls a lot)

~She says she would lay beside you while you ate and she would wait for you to share. She shows that she really enjoyed when you shared your toast. She says the crust was always the best part!

~She speaks of a timer or alarm going off and she says she would always go nuts and get worked up when this happened. (She did always hate when the smoke alarm would go off. She would whine)

~She shows an area with a swing set and says this was a favorite place of hers to go and just hang out. She says there was a lot of good smells here.

~She says she loved being touched any were, anytime, anyway!

~She shows hanging half off the bed or couch, stretched way out. (We all know that that couch was hers!)

~She say your living area needs stuff. She says you need pictures on the walls and life added to your home using color and plants. To her it looks like you never really moved in/ settled/created this as your space. It needs your personal touch and needs to come to life. She says especially some pictures need to go up in the bedroom. (Who knew she was an interior decorator dog? She's probably right though.)

~She say she sees it is difficult on you. She feels your heavy, painful heart. She wants you to know it is not your fault. She stresses this. (Also the most important question I wanted to know)

~She says she will miss sleeping with you the most.

~She says she had great hearing and felt she was your protector and the protector of the home.

~She feels there was part of the house she wasn't allowed to go in and wonders why that was? (She was always banned from the bedroom during the day because she would have a party on my bed haha)

~She shows that she is sending you a message that she is around using a black silhouette of a dog. She says keep your eyes open. This is a way of her letting you know that she is with you. It may come in advertisements, cards or pictures on the net, etc. When you see it then realize she is there and is thinking of you. You may also be able to feel the weight of her against your leg as she leans on you often. (...this is very interesting, I will keep my eyes open for this)

~She says she had some issues with her sinus. There was often a lot of pressure felt there. (She did always sneeze when she'd roll over on her back)

~She shows you wearing a white blouse with a blue sweater or vest over top. (This was my high school uniform but I didn't get her until college...)

~She says she would give you slow, gentle, long licks when she kissed you.

~She wants you to remember the happy times you shared and the twinkle you would see in her eye when she looked at you.

~She shows a light haired woman wearing a brown/camel colored shawl and sends her love. (Not sure who this is...)

~She shows something in a soft pink but I can't make out what it is. (we'd gotten a new bobo into the store that day. I was letting her play with it. I was going to buy it for her. She also always had a baby pink collar.)

~She says you need to eat more...more well balanced foods through out the day. She says especially apples/oranges and meats. She cautions you to not ingest a lot of wheat as your body appears to be sensitive to this.

~She talks about going on a bus. (car rides maybe?)

~She says she misses your body hugs. (I miss hers too)

~She says she had this groaning sound she would make for you. (she was very moany/groany!)

~She says when she wanted something she would come and sit and look at you and you would always ask her what and then she would move and you would follow.

~She say if she wanted you to play and you didn't want to then she would put her nose under your hand and flip it up until you paid attention to her.

~She complains about the smell of skunk/skunk problems. (?)

~Brooklyn says it is okay. She is fine and you are okay to move forward. She will stay with you/around you/watch over you.

Thank you,
Sheila

Anatresia
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I am so, so sorry to read this! :candle::hug99:

bsquared
10-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss! :candle2:

oceangirls
10-04-2007, 04:35 PM
That's a really nice reading. It's so nice to think that she's still "leaning against you," even though you can't see her :hearts: .

Da Brat
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh my dear God, i was ok until i read Sheila's reading now I'm bawling like a little girl!!! Amy and Courtney I am sorry sorry for this loss. I just want to hug you both...

Linus
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh wow! That was a great reading! Hard to read, but at least you know she is at peace and still with you in spirit. Trust it, Sheila has been spot on for all of us who have had readings done. I've been thinking about you and Brooklyn a lot, and will continue to do so. :hug99: :hug99:

alfina
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh, that is so heart wranching reading. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Jill
10-05-2007, 08:56 AM
What a wonderful reading. :hug99:

Alex's Mom
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh wow! That was a great reading! Hard to read, but at least you know she is at peace and still with you in spirit. Trust it, Sheila has been spot on for all of us who have had readings done. I've been thinking about you and Brooklyn a lot, and will continue to do so. :hug99: :hug99:
:ditto::ditto: Amy. She's been spot on with my guys. Hope this brings you some comfort, although the hole in the heart never quite fills up, does it. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

brooklyns_mom
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
"~She shows a light haired woman wearing a brown/camel colored shawl and sends her love."

I read the reading to my roommate last night. My roommate has looked after Brooklyn quite a lot in the past 9 months she's lived with us. She, like most people, fell in love with Brooklyn immediately. She is blond and she had just bought a brown shawl type garment at bananna republic. I didn't know this but it was one of the last things Brooklyn saw her wearing before my roommate went out of town this past weekend.

Rae
10-05-2007, 10:29 AM
wow. Go Sheila.

Amy I sure hope that reading brings you comfort. It seems that Brooklyn wanted to make sure you knew she's OK and ITS NOT YOUR FAULT so you can be OK too.

Claudine
10-08-2007, 05:07 PM
OMG Courtney, I am So, SO sorry!!! I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. The last time I lost a dog suddenly & in such a violent way, I was about 11 years old & it just about did me in! All my prayers are with you and your beloved pup; just remember, he will be waiting at the bridge for you one day. :pray: :hearts: :pray:

brooklyns_mom
10-12-2007, 11:59 PM
This was written about 2 years ago:

Big Apple, Big Dog, Big Dreams
By Amy Lubinski (& Brooklyn)

When I would mention to people that I was moving to New York City with my Great Dane, Brooklyn, everyone’s reaction was always the same. It was a mixture of disbelief and amusement that washed across their faces every time, as if to say “good luck with that!”
It didn’t phase me though. I figured we had a whole city at our disposal and no strange looks were going to prevent me from facing the biggest move of my life with my greatest partner.
After the two and a half day drive I can’t deny I was having second thoughts on my own judgment. Brooklyn was an angel in the car, riding like a pro in the back amongst everything else I had managed to cram into the SUV from my spacious Texas lifestyle, but I was beginning to think I was a bit of a fool to think I’d have room for all of it.
As it turns out, I was kind of right. Having the crate was a joke. It took up half the living room. Had it been my decision I would have set one of the recliners out on the street in favor of the crate, but I didn’t think my two roommates would have gone for that. So to the basement it went as I told Brooklyn she would have to behave herself with out the confines of the crate. She has since taken over my bed as a substitute.
Fortunately she has adapted well to city life. She is somewhat of a local celebrity at the dog park where we visit almost every day. Everyone knows Brooklyn and her pink spiked collar. She has even met a few Dane boyfriends. Her favorite is a tall fawn Dane named Jake. He belongs to an equally tall Australian guy, and I believe its probably Jake’s charming foreign accent that brought them together.

It’s a short seven blocks from the apartment but even in that short distance we get the standard comments every Great Dane owner has come to accept and in turn, ignore:

“You should put a saddle on that thing!”

“Nice pony!”

“That’s a huge dog!” (Oh really? I was told she was a Chihuahua!)

However for the most part, she fascinates people. They stop to pet her. I field questions about owning a giant dog in the city while Brooklyn works her charm by looking up at them with those beautiful amber eyes and of course – leaning.
It’s been a great comfort for me to have her here during this transitional period in my life. Even in a city of 8 million people it can be a lonely, anonymous existence if you’re not careful. Having a dog forces you to get out, walk around, meet new people and explore your surroundings. I look forward to our days in the city where she goes with me on errands and she, in turn, enjoys the sights and smells of the city (especially hotdogs!) She waits in line with me at fed-ex or lays quietly at my feet while I enjoy a coffee or a glass of wine at the cafés in Little Italy.
I never forget to mention, when talking to people about her, that she is a rescue dog. She is a true individual in a city awash with tiny Chihuahuas and Yorkies in custom carriers. Brooklyn is not my accessory, she is my companion, and I look forward to all our adventures together.

alfina
10-13-2007, 06:52 AM
That is beautifully written. Thank you for posting it here, Amy.

oceangirls
10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I really enjoyed reading that :)

Peppers Mom
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Ohhh I am sorry. They are tooo cute together! I love the pics and I hope that everyone is ok!

Rae
10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
oh gosh Amy :sad3: What a great story.

She sure was a great dog, and will long be remembered by many people who "knew" her... in addition to those who actually knew her in person.

We had a dane come visit at a festival this summer (we don't see a ton of them in my neck of the woods) and my first thought was "is it a Blevins or a Brooklyn?" The lady who was owned by this particular dane was a little surprised that I sashayed right up and asked if it was Ok to make friends.

She said "a lot of people are intimidated by his size" and I snorted. His name was Cowboy and he was definitely a star attraction.
She sold wind chimes and (on the side) had a sign that said "KIDS! Have your picture taken with Cowboy, the Gentle Giant" - I believe she made more off the photos than the chimes.

laura
10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
OH no. This sounds just awful. So sorry! Those pictures were so wonderful!

Chris
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I love what Amy wrote.

I am so so sorry about Brooklyn. That is just incredibly sad.

I have to smile at the pictures of Brooklyn and Po. reminds me of Ollie and his Mastiff girlfriend, Gillian.