PDA

View Full Version : Field Trial Fun event

areese
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Welp we loaded up the Weens and Salsa and hitched up the new (old) little trailer for its maiden voyage (I dunno if I ever posted about my little trailer...Rob got it for me to take to agility trials and I've been cleaning it up and getting it ready cuz it was someone's hunting trailer).
ANYWAY,
a synposis:
The field trial was braces (pairs) of Dachshunds on Rabbit. Just tracking, no chasing or killing :))
They had the judge judge out loud for the novices, which was very cool as I know absolutley nothing about what to do.
Laika the amazing ween got 2nd place novice Saturday!!!!!!!!
She and another dog were tied for first, so they had them come back and do another round and the other dog got the scent, Laika did not. BUT the other dog, although still a "novice" cuz he doesn't have his field championship,has been in the field numerous times and his mom is very experienced. This was our second time EVER. So I am proud.
AND she got to track a dead headless rabbit dragged Friday night (did awesomely)
And got to follow a blood trail to a big chunk o' deer. (she loved that too although I had to yank a huge chunk of meat out of her mouth)
AND got to hunt rats in PVC tubes in piles of hay (her favorite I think)
Did a little agility, tried bobbing for weenies, and went down an empty earthdog tunnel.
Owen did not find the scent in the field trial..he just hung out by me, smiling vaguely.
He DID follow the blood trail pretty well and enjoyed the chunk o'deer (his personal favorite cuz he got to EAT something, ew.)
Couldn't care less about rats.....
Did a little agility, bobbed for weenies but ended up just trying to drink all the weenie water so he peed 97 times throughout the day.
Got to go walk in the rabbit field after the trials were over and actually was hunting..he seems to prefer the brush..Laika prefers the mowed lanes it seems
Salsa did agility to the amazment of everyone.
Rob actually went with us. I think he even had a good time...and of course since Laika got a ribbon he was very proud.
The trailer wasn't all that comfortable but with just the dogs and me it won't be so crowded. My truck pulls it so easily!! It only weighs 1100 pounds so I can also roll it myself some and hitch and unhitch it pretty easily.
Rob might have some pics on his phone...I'll try to get them from him.
Here's the trailer
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0844.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0842.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0841.jpg
I made new curtains for it. I want to paint it orange...it would be just likea big pumpkin...

I think that Laika had the best day of her life Saturday. She just loved it and was insanely nuts all day long.

Tanya
09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
What an awesome weekend! There is nothing better than an insanely nuts dog! :hearts:

Your trailer is so cute! It's like the Salsa of the trailer world! :D

Reesie's_Mom
09-30-2007, 01:05 PM
WOW!! How exciting! And I agree, your trailer is sooo cute!

areese
09-30-2007, 05:58 PM
What an awesome weekend! There is nothing better than an insanely nuts dog! :hearts:

LOL I never thought of that but it is kinda like a lil Salsa..
Laika was so INTENSE all day long. It's so funny how different she and Owen are. Today, though, she is really loving and affectionate and calm. I used to worry that doing the prey-driven stuff would change Laika permanently but it really doesn't, except for maybe she's happier over-all...

oceangirls
09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Very cool! I'm glad everyone had fun (even Owen). Lots of new confusing activities... I'd probably hang out by you, smiling vaguely, too :D. I'm sure he was looking for the peenie competition :confused: . But drinking the weenie water - that's genius (all the salt, fat, and nitrites, and none of the commitment) :lol: ! :liplick:

Alex's Mom
09-30-2007, 07:21 PM

EXACTLY!!! Little Omnibug Trailer! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Glad you had such a good day! Must have been a good one getting to spend it with Rob too...great family time! :) Personally, I love Owen's reaction...that's how Alex would be too, I think...information overload, lets just stay here with mom!

lizzieb38
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a great time. Your lil trailer is so cute. It would be cool to paint it orange. Glad Rob could join you this time. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: to all of the Reese's!

Tex
10-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like it was a great weekend!!!! Love the trailer too!!!