PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I hate the dog park

Courtney
01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I took Sanford and Po to the dog park today. Right when we get there Sanford wanted to play with this little longhair chihuahua. The thing was terrified of Sanford and starting being defensive-agressive by cowering and snapping at Sanford. Sanford began snapping back and I honestly don't think Sanford meant any harm as I did not see bared teeth on his part or anything. But the chihuahua's owner asked me "What the f-- is wrong with your dog?" I said "nothing is wrong with my dog, he was playing." I took Sanford to the other side of the dog park. A few minutes later Sanford was on the side with the chihuahua again and the owner freaked out and started shoving Sanford out of the way very aggressively. I went over there and the guy starts cussing me out. "Your dog is f---ing aggressive, you need to take that f---ing dog out of the f---ing dog park." I said that my dog was NOT aggressive and his dog was the one who was snapping and growling at my dog. The guy just kept yelling and cussing at me and telling me I needed to leave! I'm sorry, but his dog was clearly unsocialized! And no maybe Sanford's response of snapping too was not the best but I know Sanford was not being AGGRESSIVE to that dog. They're dogs, for ****'s sake.

Sanford had fun by chasing a border collie for a while and then a cute little yorkiepoo. He also played with a dachshund puppy that was there. The puppy was humping Sanford and Sanford was definitely NOT being aggressive in that case!

Then Sanford started body slamming this bulldog and trying to get him to play by barking and play-biting with him, which, to people who know jack about dogs, probably looked bad. And then he saw a baby and just lost it, so I was like, okay we have to go now! I honestly do not think Sanford is an aggressive dog. He was just not playing in the most socially acceptable of ways today. Arrrugh! It was frustrating. Any thoughts?

I did get a couple of action shots of my aggressive dog!

http://static.flickr.com/37/89358977_112d0f7fd6.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/9/89358749_522355cbdd.jpg

Lisa
01-21-2006, 03:54 PM
He's actually smiling!! No that is not being agressive at all...he's just playing. Pixel does that to Pogo all the time to initiate the chase.

Sanford you are a good boy! And we all love you here. Those people need to get a grip!

Tanya
01-21-2006, 03:58 PM
How frustrating! :mad: The guy with the chihuahua defintely needs to get a grip!

We are having issues with Piper acting similar to what Sanford was doing. We just keep socializing him and correcting him when he acts like that.

Goob
01-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Sounds to me like the owner of the chi was the AGRESSIVE one yelling at you like that. You should have shot in him the face with some mace. That'll teach him! :rotfl:

Helen
01-21-2006, 04:36 PM
The guy probably just doesn't know anything about dog behavior. He acted really inappropriately. Good job on keeping your cool.

I hope your next visit is a better one! Kisses to sweet Sanford.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
That guy sounds ludicris! Guys should never speak that way to a lady, yeah, he needs an attitude adjustment with some pepper spray!
In my experience, I' ve LOVED dogs all my life...but I' ve seen alot of snappy & aggressive Chihuahuas. I actually HATED small dogs b/c I was chased everyday by Chihuhuas & bit by 1.
Thank God I met a Dachshund that changed my mind about small dogs & I learned they' re not all yappy & snap at people! (Now I won 4:hearts: Dachshunds)
Sorry you had such a bad experience but it' s not fair 'cos yours didn' t do anything bad.:mad:

Linus
01-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Geez! That guy needs to get a grip!!! Sandford was just playing! I hope your next trip to the dog park isn't quite as eventful.

Jacqueline
01-21-2006, 06:29 PM
My son says that if chihuahuas were the size of labs, they would eat people whole. I think that may be true....that's the only kind of dog that has ever bitten me....even tho the :bleep: pitbulls seem determined to get me lately.

Too bad Sanford didn't take the opportunity to relieve himself on this jerk.

lotsadox
01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
ITA wtih everyone. He needs to get a grip. Who appointed him the dog park police? They're dogs, it's a dog park. A little snapping always goes on. Miller snaps at at least one dog every time I go. I call him to me and distract him and everything's fine. As to the play biting, mine do that all the time. Thirty five pound Scooter play bites 15 lb Miller to start a chase. It's not agressive it's being a dog.

The f******g this and that really bugs me, too. At least you kept your cool, I probably would the f****d him right back. It's an unfortunate response I have to being cussed at. Too many years working with guys, I guess.

Otto'sMom
01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
You should've taken his photo and told him you were going to report him to the park services. (Not that it'd do anything really, people just don't like being photographed for being an ass) Good thing you kept your cool. I hate it when people are unsocialized too.

Patt
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Why is it there is always one JackA** that ruins things for everyone. I've never been to a dog park so have no clue what the rules are. Possibly you should have Sanford on a lead so you can correct him. Hopefully you won't see this guy again.

Bella's Mom
01-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Geez, they're dogs! Po was just playing, that's how they play. The dude there would be better off trying to socialize his dog more. Chihuahas definitely need a lot of socializing and with him being so defensive will only harm his pet. Po is a cool dude and all the other pups know it! :cool:

Mama S.
01-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Once again - my favorite line
You just can't fix stooopid.....
GLad it was you and not me. He'd have heard a lot worse from me.. I have no couth (sp?) at all when it comes to someone talking crap about one of my babies!
Sandi

Jen
01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Tasha reacts a lot like the Chi did. You know what--that's why we rarely go to dog parks, and I pick her up and leave if she snaps. Yup, an unsocialized dog. Tasha is doing better with humans, but I don't think she'll ever love dogs.

:appl: :appl: :appl: to you for not throttling the guy Courtney!!

Rae
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
methinks next time you take a rolled up newspaper and a spray bottle and if this happens again you hammer the guy and then hose him down. :scratch:

We love you, Sanford... sweet boy.Don't pay any attention to that nasty bad man.

Nancy
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Don't you wish that you could of given Sanford a comand to pee on the guy? :rotfl:

Frzframe
01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
(if it happens again) "Come on boy that dog doesn't want to play. He isn't nice so let's go find another dog who wants to have some fun." :lol: That way you put it all back on the other dog. :)