PDA

View Full Version : They still have diarrhea!!!

Anatresia
01-21-2006, 04:08 PM
The dogs were on hamburger and rice all week. Yesterday, Rigby had a pretty messy stool and then again this morning, we woke up to a huge, messy pile in our hallway. I had to use a putty knife to pick it up and transfer it to a paper plate, then shampoo the whole rug. Too much info, I know.

It's Rigby, as Butters was with us all morning, and yesterday he had semi-solid stools.

It's not solid at all, and it seems like there's mucus in it, and an almost metallic smell. The vet checked them out and said there's nothing wrong with them! I don't know what to think.

jenfer
01-21-2006, 04:14 PM
hmm... I don't know what to tell you. But have you try giving them pepcid AC??? I think that's what the vet told me to give gi last time when she was having tummy problem.

Tanya
01-21-2006, 04:17 PM
The vet checked them out and said there's nothing wrong with them!
Nothing wrong with them? The vet didn't give you any instructions on what to do or prescribe anything??? :shocked:

How about giving them some 100% pure pumpkin with their rice for fiber? Maybe that will firm it up.

Mama S.
01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Yee gads- I was sure not likin the sound of that. What is it without guys - Spring fever?? Pete seems to be feeling better but hasn't gone potty yet so unsure of what I'll get..
More mega:bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your babies!!
Sandi

Goob
01-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Eweee tracy not a good way to start your weekend. DH has to do the pick up of that kind of thing - sets my gag reflex off and it only gets worse from there.

Here's some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Miss Riggy! :hearts:

Lisa
01-21-2006, 05:03 PM
You might want to take them back to the vet, with a stool sample, and pick up the prescription food (like Peaches is on) and give them that for a couple of days. I wouldn't give any over the counter meds until I knew what was wrong with them, but I would add kefir (or yogurt), and some pure pumpkin as well.

Keep us posted...lots of rayz going your way! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Linus
01-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Goodness!! I'm so sorry Rigby isn't feeling better! Lots more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: coming your way!

LUVMYGUNNER
01-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Petunia and Gunner are eating hamburger and rice this week, are you draining your hamburger?? It is probably to greasy...I put mine in a colander for about 10 min before I mix it with the rice.

oceangirls
01-21-2006, 06:19 PM
You can also rinse the hamburger to get the grease off, but the Hill's Canine I/D (if you can get it somewhere over the weekend) might be a better bet. Sounds like it could possibly be the same thing that everyone else's puppers are having if you see mucus... blood is sometimes associated with a metallic smell.

If the vet still thinks nothing's wrong when you go back in, have Rigby poop on his foot and see if that changes his mind. :evilgrin:

rayz:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Loren
01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Acidophilus, digestive enzymes and SLIPPERY ELM! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Gay Larsen
01-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Okay, I feel I might have missed part of this, but I am not seeing anything about fecal samples! Because we have 12 doxies, this is what happened to us! Due to trek across U.S. & back & stopping @ every rest area & using only "designated" dog areas, our doxies ended up w/severe diarrhea; by the time we got home (gone 19 days), symptoms were starting to show! Almost ALL issues were suffered by Abby; she had back surgery 6 wks. prior to us picking her up to transport her to a rescue in KY; consequently, she had a very depressed immune system. She had lost 4# post-surgery, a whopping 25% of her body weight! By the time we arrived in KY, we just could NOT give her up, called prev. owner & adopted her on the spot! The first 3 X, I did NOT take samples in, but did take the dog(s) in. The first vet (Sat.) in Cutten (mine was out for Thanksgiving) said, "Nothing wrong," probably stress. On Monday, I thought I'd recheck w/my vet, he found nothing! Took back a fecal sample on Thur. as I was getting worried. He ran the sample: Nothing. On Saturday, I managed to get into a 3rd vet in Ferndale; just on a hunch, I requested yet another fecal sample run. DH looked @ me like I had 2 heads; so did the vet, but went along with it. Therefore, the vet & I both almost dropped our teeth when the vet tech stuck his head in & said casually, "Oh, on that sample: Hookworms". had to treat ALL 12 dogs! We then went back to Reno 2 weeks later to pick up our truck which had broken down on trip. While there, Abby suffered a bout of bloody diarrhea! All this time, we had been feeding rice, chicken broth & LEAN gr. turkey (drained)! We got her in to an Emergency Vet in Reno on Thur. Took in fecal sample: vet said, "Giiardhia (sp.)" - we treated ALL 12 doxies! We took her in again to Ferndale vet on Sat. (I was beside myself & was in fear of dehydration & weight loss). Another fecal & THIS time, a diagnosis of coccidiosis! He asked IF we actually saw them run the fecal in Reno! NO, we hadn't actually! The minute we treated her for last diagnosis, it was over! We continued to feed her the bland diet exactly as mentioned above for one more week! At no time did I ever give beef, only because when a human is put on a bland diet, they usually recommend chicken or turkey!

SO - moral of the story here is I would NEVER go i2 vet w/out FRESH fecal sample (test it every time if diarrhea persists) & make ALL office visits in the afternoon to assure you can get a fresh fecal sample on that very day. IF you have to to be POSITIVE you are getting sample from the dog you suspect, crate him/her at time you think he/she is going to go! This went on for days. I cannot urge you firmly enough to demand the vet continue to perform fecal tests; mistakes are made, vets are busy, samples get mixed up, etc. When I confronted my vet with 2nd vet's diagnosis, he was really embarassed! Had I not insisted on yet one more fecal being run, Abby would be dead today, as they dehydrate pretty fast while this is happening. Additionally, with Abby, she started to lose interest in food & nothing we could do would entice her to eat if she didn't want it. NOTE: Every time we took a fecal sample in, I caught it literally with the dog putting it on the ground, so there was NEVER any ques. of it being the wrong dog! IF you read this today, please tell me what your vet said & IF he ran a fecal sample. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't get the part, "There's nothing wrong with them." In the end, before we were through, we saw 4 separate vets,[this was due to Holidays & travelling], had four separate fecals run & had numerous visits before we got on top of this. I don't wish this problem on anyone; it's serious & can get out of control very fast. By the time we were through, although it sounds preposterous, we spent just over $2,000.00, believe it or not! I know I sound paranoid or "touched in the head," but mistakes are made; just like they are in our Dr.'s offices, the same happens in vet's offices, esp. during the Holidays. . We just had a "back episode" misdiagnosed [coincidentally enough, it was also on Abby]. As it turned out, it was nothing - - false alarm, but you have to treat every incident like it is the most serious thing you've ever run into. I hope I haven't come off as sounding facetious or "talking down to anyone," because my intention is only to give you information to consider. Had I been younger, & still of an age when I was loathe to "question" my vet's opinion, Abby might very well be dead now. Do not take a casual answer if it appears to you your dog is sick; at the very least, go for a 2nd opinion! Remember, you know your dog better than the vet does. Gay & The Dirty Dozen in CA

Patt
01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Tracy, did the vet give you any meds such as Lotrol to help stop the diarrhea? You should really be calling your vet to tell him things are not going well and what does he suggest you do now. I/D and W/D are the foods we recommend for diarrhea, I'm sure the E-clinic would be able to sell that to you. Feed 1/3 meat, cooked meats that are very low in fat such as chicken (you can also boil hamburger, which will remove all the fat) 2/3 white rice, maybe a small amount of Cottage Cheese. You could add some plain yogurt to help the digestion. Did the vet do a fecal test recently? If they are still having serious diarrhea I would withhold food for 12 hours.

Sending more tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to the kids, I hope they are okay soon.

Pokeys Mom
01-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Tracy, I know exactly what you are going through. However, our vet was able to find something. Did they get a stool sample? Somtimes they can do it in the office. Does your vet know it's been going on this long? I'm just wondering why they didn't give you a few meds to help you out.

:hugs99:

lotsadox
01-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I would eliminate the hamburger altogether and feed just rice and chicken broth. Sending rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Loren
01-22-2006, 08:10 AM
How are the puppers this morning? :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Loren
01-22-2006, 08:23 AM
http://www.dog.com/information/diarrhea.asp

K2
01-22-2006, 09:23 AM
How are the pups this morning? Sending some tummy healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Anatresia
01-22-2006, 10:43 AM
They haven't gone yet. I'm going to try the pumpkin with rice today and see how that goes.

It's hard to judge, because last night we had a family party and I told everyone how sick Rigby's been and not to feed her, but who knows if they did. I begged them not to, so I hope it sunk in.

Her spirits have been fine all this time, so I don't think she has any other symptoms, which is good. We'll see when she goes today.

Rae
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Poor Rigby.. I am not a vet or even an expert so I all I have is great love for your girl and healing :bigrayz: ...

Hope all calms down really soon- I know how it is to be worried about your loved one!

Frzframe
01-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Many mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Miss Ribby for her tummy troubles.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Hope she is feeling better today.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Hope they are feeling better.

Rae
01-23-2006, 11:04 AM
monday poopies update?

Gay Larsen
01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Anatresia: Have I missed something? How is the poor little diarrhea doxy? I know when I was going thru this, I was so stressed, I could hardly talk. Hope things are going better today! Please post & fill us in. I think I saw you post today somewhere else, so I'm going to assume things are better. I am really hoping so. Gay and The Gang

Anatresia
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Butters went poopies on our walk and it was semi-solid still. I have to assume that Rigby is okay, since there were no messes in the house. I have been giving them pumpkin and dry food. I am going to do that for a week until I begin mixing in the wet food again.

Thanks for the concern and the rayz! They've been acting fine, so I have to assume it was the food and not an illness!

Rae
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
glad things are firming up. continued solid poopie :bigrayz:

Jen
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Glad the :potty2: is back to normal. Waking up to find a mess like that is never fun!!

Patt
01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
:woohoo: good news, the Von Wienerhausen furkids are almost back to normal. :appl: :appl: