PDA

View Full Version : Creeped Out

Otto'sMom
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm watching Taboo on National Geographic and it's featuring "Pets" Why am I posting in the "Always in our Hearts"? Taxidermy. Now, those of you who know me and my humor know that I love all things morbid and have the sickest sense of humor, but I've gotta admit: Having your dog/cat/rabbit or whatever stuffed just gives me the heebie jeebies. This is just my opinion, but I don't think what we love in a dog lies in it's looks. Sure, I've loved dogs that remind me of Otto or any of the other dogs (a black and tan coon hound dog has gotta be my next big dog because of Dolly) but I would NEVER want to have them stuffed. The cost of it is absolutely RETARDED, that kind of money could've gone to rescue so many LIVE dogs/cats/rabbits.
The dad who was getting a rabbit stuffed was doing it so his 5 year old daughter wouldn't have to face the death of a pet. :wtf: Future precious little snowflake in the making there.:rolleyes:
This show is just disgusting me.....but then again, from the outside looking in at my home with 10 dogs and 8 cats, I guess that could be disgusting to 'normal' people too.
On Ebay, they sell little vial key chain thingies to put some of your pet's ashes in. I wouldn't do that either...where do you draw the line? On my mantle is OK, but in my car? In a necklace? I seriously don't get it. Is it cultural or just personal?

Linus
10-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Ew! I can't handle taxidermy. That's a bit much for me.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd keep Bailey's ashes. I love him and all, but I think I'll stick to photographs.

Jacqueline
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
There was a boating accident down here, and the only surviver was a teenager. She lost her parents, a brother and a friend. She got those necklace things and has their ashes in them. Okay, and you thought the pet thing creeped you out? They had a thing on tv about her, and there she was, with this gruesome four piece necklace on her. No thanks. A nice tombstone is fine, thanks.

Alex's Mom
10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Normal is such an arbitrary thing, isn't it, Andrea!!! I'd say 10 dogs and 8 cats is a damned sight more normal than wearing others' (human or animal) remains around your neck...

When Maxe crossed, I hadn't thought about what to do with the remains, and Laura just went ahead and cremated them. EWhen I picked them up, I felt kind of odd, cuz I've never been one to do the grave visiting thing (last time I was in Ottawa, I went up to my mom's grave...first time I'd been there since she died 20 years ago...it wasn't comforting, it was just, well, kinda wierd!) but I must admit that Maxe's ashes are on a shelf in my bedroom and I do find it feels "complete" somehow. Hard to explain. When my second cat Djinn crossed, I spread her ashes out on the back 40 of the house in Three Fathom Harbour...it was her favourite place to be, and that felt right too. But stuffing them?!? That seems just plain disrespectful somehow. (And I bet that 5 year old has nightmares about that bunny........:rolleyes:)

Tex
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm with Paula here......I can see me spreading the ashes of my pet or relative for that matter in their favorite place, but I think the "stuffing your pet so it can sit on your shelf" thing is a little too creepy for me! JMHO

Rae
10-11-2007, 08:38 AM
two words:
Pet Semetery

(the Stephen King kind, not the real kind. skeeves me out. scariest movie of all tiem after Children of the Corn)

bsquared
10-11-2007, 08:55 AM
two words:
Pet Semetery

(the Stephen King kind, not the real kind. skeeves me out. scariest movie of all tiem after Children of the Corn)

Totally!

Yeah...no stuffing of the pets, thanks. I am even skeeved by those realistic looking dogs and cats that they sell made with some sort of fur (does anyone know what I'm talking about...they look like they are sleeping and are kind of creepy...well, in my opinion. :rotfl: ). I love my dogs and cats more than anything and I can't imagine what I will do as far as cremation or burial when their times come but I do know that it will not involve taxidermy in any way, shape or form. :)

alfina
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
In Russia cremation is not that widely accepted. I think it is due to Orthodox religion believes. So, when Rumble died suddenly, I was not prepared on what to do. But when we lived in Gainesville, their pet cemetary ended up being redeveloped for some construction. And all the poor owners were protesting it. I just couldn't think of have my poor Rumble bones strawn across some construction site.

And I didn't want to bury him in our backyard because I know we won't stay at this house forever. I didn't want him left behind.

Anatresia
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Taxidermy is creepy. I don't like it with wild animals, hunting kills, learning displays, or pets. It's just creepy.

Even worse is human taxidermy. http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/ is an example of something that I find really, really creepy.

Otto'sMom
10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Oooohhh I went to that! LOVED IT! Of course these weren't people I knew so I just found it fascinating in a "this is what we look like inside" without me having to kill someone and peeling their skin kind of way. Wouldn't want it in my home, posed like it was riding a bike.

lizzieb38
10-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Only stuffed things I like are turkies, and I'm talking the bread kind of stuffing. Totally agree that it is gross/creapy to get your lil furkid stuffed!!

michelehbc
10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
two words:
Pet Semetery

Ever read the book??????!!! I would not let Geoff near me for two weeks after finishing that sucker. For real, though.

LexieLuvr
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Ever read the book??????!!! I would not let Geoff near me for two weeks after finishing that sucker. For real, though.
I know what you mean - I read the book and it totally freaked me out!!!