PDA

View Full Version : Crazy behavior from Miss Rigby

Anatresia
01-22-2006, 10:51 AM
We had a family party last night- Paul's aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents- lots of people. Rigby's met them all at least twice, so she should bark bark bark a bit and then relax, right?

Well, she decided that she hated the one branch of the family- the one she's met the least. Every time the uncle or male cousin came near her, she would bark like crazy. With the cousin, she would bark then climb on his lap, bark right in his face and sit down- on him, looking around like she was a princess. She was perfectly normal with the female cousin- snuggling up on her and asking for "neck kisses". Rigby was okay with the mother until the end of the night, when she got the association between the mean man and the mom- then she barked a lot at the mom, too!

If anyone went to pet Butters, she would hop over and bark her head off, getting in their faces. Her tail was wagging the whole time and she didn't try to bite, but the barking was enough to drive us mad. She just bounced around, barking, like she does with the squirrels.

The uncle thought it would be funny to antagonize her, so he kept yelling and making barking noises, while walking towards her and she did NOT back down- she didn't bite, but she did not back down. I couldn't say anything to him because he's the one family member that I think doesn't like me, and he was actually being nice to me last night, so I didn't want to ruin it, but I thought he was being a jerk to her and was secretly glad she hated him so much.

During all of this, I just kept calling her to me and talking calmly to her- not reassuring baby talk, just "This is so and so. you don't need to bark at them" which is what a behaviorist told me to do with her. That would calm her- until they went near Butters or came too close to her again.

What is up with this behavior?

lotsadox
01-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Miller will sometimes exhibit that kind of behaviour with strangers. If distracting him by calling him to me and making him sit or down so I can reward him for that doens't work I just confine him in another room until he can settle down. He's a lot like a small child and gets overstimulated at times. When he becomes overwhelmed by things he sort of regresses to the way he acted when I first got him.

I also realized that it doesn't really matter if he's met someone before. Unless he has had contact with them on a regular basis he will exhibit the same behaviour. He also seems to have triggers. Sometimes someone will be at the house and he'll be fine with them and then suddenly start barking. I think that something they do or a movement triggers a fear response.

You said that Rigby was wagging her tail. That might mean that she was just excited and was showing it by barking. A time out in another room or a crate away from the people would probably help that also.

Help! Mary, we need your expertise!

Jacqueline
01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
She may have just been overstimulated....or a good judge of character. You aren't crazy abut the man, either. My GS, Gretch, used to bark and warn off my twin nephews EVERY time they came over....never did figure out why. I would have dh hold her while I hugged and kissed and made over them and she was fine....til the next time.

Taffy decided to bark her head off at one of my best friends yesterday, even tho she knows and likes her. Dh says it was because she startled her when she walked up behind her.....and Taffy was wound up all day anyhow.

Too bad you couldn't give the uncle crate time.

Mama S.
01-22-2006, 04:35 PM
SHould have called me - I'd have flown in and popped the stupid one - don't care if he don't like me! Messing with our girl - my BIL is the same stupid way - until I nailed him one for messing with my babies. I'm a bit meanier and old enuff to not give a da*&!! GUess there is one good thing about getting old!
I'd bark at the dummy too Miss R! Kisses to you for protecting Mama from dat bad guy!!
Sandi

Patt
01-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry things didn’t go as well as they might have during your recent family gathering. Rigby’s encounter with your family however, does appears to have highlighted an ongoing problem she has with the dominant position people should have over her. Unfortunately though, it’s not possible to train a dog while hosting a large gathering.

Be careful not to misunderstand Rigby’s signals. A wagging tail is not always a sign of playfulness or joy. It can also signal irritation, a challenge to authority, or even an impending attack. A prime example of this behavior was exhibited when Rigby got onto the lap of your cousin and barked in his face. After physically and verbally challenging him without receiving a controlling response, her dominance over him was established. She then felt confident enough to curl up on his lap. Most likely he then began petting her which reinforced both her bad behavior and position of dominance over him.

To correct this problem, your unchallenged position leadership and authority must be firmly established. This is accomplished through concentrated leash training with a proper collar that fits right behind her ears on the upper neck. The end result desired is you answering the door and greet guests with Rigby in a submissive position three to four feet behind you. On your command she can then be called foreword to greet your guests. Ideally, your verbal commands will result in the appropriate responses no matter how crowded the room. Try this with one person at the door, working your way up to a group.

Although it sounds a bit simplistic, ultimately it’s Rigby’s acceptance of your leadership roll that will produce the desired behavior. I hope this helps you get started and I’m sure that when Mary is feeling better she can provide you with more information.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Petunia does that to my mom.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Reesee is like that (barking)with strangers & some family members that don' t visit often. My uncle' s wife came over, which Reesee never seen & Reesee didn' t like her AT ALL!
I was glad too, 'cos this person only comes over when something bad happens,on this visit she was trying to beat my sister to me so she can tell me that my cousin' s premie baby passed away :mad
(The last visit was after a tornado passed over my house.)
Her fur was bristled on her neck & on her back at the base of her tail!
But I secretly wished she had growled at her!
I usually put Reesee in the kitchen to calm down so she can still see thru the glass door.And she' s OK with that.