PDA

View Full Version : How many feed raw, feed kibble and raw, premix etc..

Michelle
01-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you feed raw only?
Feed Raw and Kibble?
Feed Raw premix?

I am really getting very very interesting in all this raw feeding and since I have been reading the book
"Give your dog a bone" I am getting so excited about feeding raw. Heidi and Princess have been eating the premix frozen medallions now for the past 5 days and they are in heaven!!!

I'm trying to get a good feel for how many of you are actually feeding raw on this group and how time consuming it is for each of you??,

I know that Courtney is the wizard with her shopping and chopping and bagging, but how many you also do it to the extent that Courtney does?? How easy, time consuming do you find this???

Right now I liike the premix medallions,, but I am not sure whether to stick with that and some ocassional hunks of meat or go to the extent of doing it all myself...

So how many of you are doing this, and what have your experiences been???

JanUet
01-23-2006, 11:43 PM
I feed my 2 the Raw Pre-Mix Medallions as well! :banana: :cheer2:

I still give them kibble ( Nature's Variety) in the morning ( just until Sophie gets her Dental done) then I will feed them the medallions all the time.

I will give them other meats -- chicken wings, chicken thighs, marrow bones, etc, on occassion.

I find that my 2 absolutely LOVE the Pre_mix Raw. They actually dance :snoopy: :sausage: :penguins: before I give it to them.

Pokeys Mom
01-24-2006, 02:49 AM
I need more time to look into it, plus Pokey is having tummy woes.

Can I add a question to this thread? How many of your veterinarians agree or support the idea of feeding raw (or raw at various levels)? I'm just a curious newbie.

Lisa
01-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Raw only here. They get treats, but their food is only the medallions.

Loren
01-24-2006, 07:39 AM
RAW RAW!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Plus ONLY treats from sitstay!

Courtney
01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Yep, well you know me, I feed meat bones and organs and that is it! Treats are whatever I get for free when I get food donations for rescue, or Old Mother Hubbard biscuits, or whatever I happen to be eating at that moment..

My vet does not support raw, I don't think, but she is not against it. One of her vet techs feeds raw. She knows I feed it and we don't really butt heads about it. But she also knows that I'll do whatever is best for Napoleon. And that he looks fabulous!

Linus
01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I feed the raw pre mix kibble. In fact, this weekend I am driving 3 hours home just to get more!

Lisa
01-24-2006, 01:19 PM
How many of your veterinarians agree or support the idea of feeding raw (or raw at various levels)?

When I first read this question, I thought it was vegetarians support the idea of feeding raw. :duh:

My vet knows I do it....his only intial concern was rickets and to make SURE they got feed the bone as well. Which is why I do like the nature's variety medallions because they have all of that in there. His other concern was them breaking a tooth. But Prey driven raw gives lots of mental stimuation. As well, I am not really set up to devote space to their feeding - but this summer I hope to feed a lot more prey raw meals outside so they get a bit of both worlds.

Pokeys Mom
01-24-2006, 05:45 PM
When I first read this question, I thought it was vegetarians support the idea of feeding raw. :duh: :rotfl: Sorry to laugh, but it does look like that!! :D Sensitive topic, but I have heard of human veggie eaters who feed their pups raw.

I just wanted to get a sense of how many vets approve of raw. I've been doing a little reading and hearing things like, "My vet doesn't approve of raw, but my dog is healthier and not having his/her old problems anymore."

Pokey's vet is fantastic. DH took Pokey in for tummy troubles, and his vet speculated that feeding raw would upset his stomach even more. I wasn't in the room to hear the conversation, so I don't know the details. Thanks!!

Here you go Lisa:

:brocolli: :tomato: :pinapple: :cucum: :HulaB: :brocolli:

Mama S.
01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
RIght now I feed just kibble but just got the Work Wonders book and will start reading it tonight. I have the coupons for the medallions and am going to get them this weekend. I eventually want to go to straight shop and chop raw but want to be well advised> I joined the RAW yahoo group and have read NOTHING but super things about dogs being on a raw only diet. I have yet to talk to vet about it, too dern busy fixing tummies to think to ask.
SAndi

lotsadox
01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I feed Nature's Variety raw to all of mine. Scooter also gets kibble (EVO), because he eats so much I can't afford to feed him all raw. My vet is the one that started me feeding raw about 10 years ago. I had a dachshund that was borderline diabetic and my vet was starting to do holistic veterinary. She told me she thought that we could bring her back without insulin if I was willing to do a little work. I made my own food for several years before Steve's came out. Even then I only fed it sporadically. My vet is a nutritionalist (most holistic vets are) and she worked with Nature's Variety to develop their foods. I've been feeding NV for several years now, supplemented with beef ribs, chicken wings and anything I see at the store that I think they might like! :banana:

Jen
01-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Tasha is on Evo and is doing fine on it but I like the idea of the raw medallions. DH is harder to convince. Maybe since he feeds her one meal a day. I have the coupon and once I find a store that has the frozen ones, I can show him how easy and not too gross it is. I'm sure Tasha would love it!