PDA

View Full Version : Somebody PLEASEEE

Mama S.
01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
tell Sam to SHUT UPPPPPP. He has decided that no matter what I do - HUSH - water, can with rocks - he is going to BARK AND BARK AND BARK AND BARK AND BARK - At nuuuutttthhhiinnnggggggg. He just likes the sound of hisvoice tongiht.....HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL LLLLPPPPPPPPP

Sandi

jenfer
01-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Ear plugs for you??? Sorry, no suggestions. Maybe when Mary feels better, she can give you better answers.

Michelle
01-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Sandi,
Did you think about trying one of those sonic collars??, The ones that make the high pitched noise when they bark, but OMG, he actually might enjoy that.. Gosh, I wish I knew how to help...... Maybe he will bark so much he will loose his voice.. I hope...

Nancy
01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Sandi,

What about spraying him with water when he barks? i know that helps when my boyfriends mutt get's vocal.

Anatresia
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Rigby has those moments. It's a wonder that I can lose my voice from talking too loudly in school, but that little thing can bark and bark her silly head off all day long and it doesn't even fade!!!

Water in a bottle works for her, though, so I have no suggestions!!!

Pokeys Mom
01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
tell Sam to SHUT UPPPPPP. Sam, "No Barking!"

Yes, you are a pretty boy and have a loooooovely voice :hearts: , but your mommie needs a break from your evening performance. No more barking for tonight. Got it? Good.

Sandi, I sent you a PM. :rayz: :rayz:

Otto'sMom
01-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I've heard that when dogs bark, it releases a relaxing chemical in the brain. It actually soothes them somehow.

How to stop the barking...Cripes, I am SO NOT the one to answer that. Dolly was voted "most barking" at Clicker Training class, all we managed to do was make her bark louder.Training them to bark on command was one of our assignments in class, and I just couldn't master that one with Dolly.

You could try some Dog Whisperer tactics on him. Leash him up in the house and give him the correction whenever he starts to make a noise. He's trying to tell you something, it's the only way he knows how.

I just pick Dolly up and hold her (not easy, she's a small tank). I can get the herd to zip it by not really shouting but saying loudly, "Thank you, that's enough, EVERYBODY QUIET! ZIP IT!" Dolly usually wants something, and that's me to sit down immediately in the recliner with her the instant I come home. I can't do that, have to clean the litter boxes so there aren't any kitty krunchie kisses later.

For emergencies, a greenie will give me peace for 20 minutes. Or a Peanut Butter Filled Kong. Dolly barks with rawhides in her mouth, or even a stuffed toy.

(for someone who's accepted defeat in the barking war, I sure wrote a lot:rotfl: )

Jacqueline
01-25-2006, 12:05 AM
One day in frustration from not being able to get Taffy to stop whining and barking while in her crate,....I picked up the can of compressed air that was sitting on the table and sprayed it over the top of her crate. She stopped immediately to think about that. After I did that a few times, if she gets fussy, I just need to show her the can.

I have a half naked Quaker that goes off on tangents every so often. I tried it on her, and she quieted down. Since you have a computer, you should have canned air. Give it a shot....no pun intended.

Pokeys Mom
01-25-2006, 12:11 AM
I've heard that when dogs bark, it releases a relaxing chemical in the brain. It actually soothes them somehow.
I can get the herd to zip it by not really shouting but saying loudly, "Thank you, that's enough, EVERYBODY QUIET! ZIP IT!" Interesting! Sorry Sandi, I forgot the "Thank you" part. I got it from Jan Fennell. "Thank you. That's enough." usually quiets my guy, but then again he isn't a very vocal Sam!

Patt
01-25-2006, 04:05 AM
Why is he barking? Usually there is a good reason. :scratch:
Possibly one day you might want him to alert you to a stranger, so decide how many warning barks you want. So then you let him bark as many times as you want (perhaps 3 times) then you interrupt him by saying "thanks, that's enough" and call him. When he comes to you give him a treat. This way he will learn to bark if it is something scary and then go to find you. Most important is you need to make sure he "comes when called" beforehand. Wish ya the best!

Otto'sMom
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Interesting! Sorry Sandi, I forgot the "Thank you" part. I got it from Jan Fennell. "Thank you. That's enough."

I didn't know that was a training tactic. I was just being polite to them. I appreciate their efforts to save me from whatever is lurking around the house, the doorbell on TV and the celebration of me coming home (that's when Dolly is at her worst/best-screaming). It really makes me laugh when Grrrt barks at the oven timer going off, she sits on my lap and barks at it from the living room in anticipation of getting something from the oven :)

Frzframe
01-25-2006, 02:50 PM
but Dudley is driving me insane with barking at the puppies. Spraying him with water doesn matter in fact if my aim is just right he just opens his mouth and drinks it. :faint: :lol: