PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate is gone

mydachsies
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Today is turning out bad.I am running out of tears!I went to walmart with Dh and baby to go get some doggy stuff and stuff for us.My mom and brother were already at Walmart waiting for us(they were getting practically nothing or to watch us shop)Well I bought my babies shirts and said to my mother "hey I can get chocolate one now that he is mine":boogie: I had a feeling something was up cause she told my bro what I said and he looked and just laughed.He said "Don't cause I am gonna keep him until GF moves in with her mom in March.":mad2: I just went at them(mom and bro in Walmart)My mom had started saying "when you start working who is gonna watch all these dogs,and you have to many anyways,and I should spend my money on the kids and not worry about extra stuff for the dogs"I wanted to rip her head off!
My kids have everything they can imagine-our love,clothes,food,shelter,extras+monster truck events,hockey,tball,dvd player,educational games(vsmile),we got to parks,parties,I can go on and on what they have and get.Our other money goes to vet,toys for our babies,food,vitamins,and their extra's that I want to get them.Plus when I start working in a month I have looked into doggie daycare at least 1 or 2 times a week.
Well back to the story.I yelled at my brother and told him where is chocolate gonna stay(he lives with mom or at gf at aptwhen she is there).My mom can't take care of him cause she cant even take care of the two dogs she has or the ferret.Hers are skinny and have never been to a vet.

Let me describe childhood real quick...We had dogs who got sick or not eat for days.When they got sick I would lay in their dog house and watch over as they lay dying in front of me.It was torture!I made an oath that if I had pets I would love them and do what I could to give them a good life and I am sticking to that.
I said why did she let chocolate get that way and he said cause she didn't have time.He said over and over that she is changing that.I said well when is she planning to taking him to vet cause he needs one ASAP!He was suppose to go today but bro said not to cause he was gonna get money so she can pay for it.He was suppose to go at3pm.I said how does she plan on affording all the bills when she is always broke.He said she gets paid alot and when she moves in with her mom again she will have alot of money.I said right away"if she makes good money how come she never helps him out like when he was in jail for traffic tickets,or when he has no gas.He always borrows from us.Or how come she has never taken chocolate to the vet even for vaccinations.He said cause she is greedy.Then my mom mom said I have to many dogs and I couldn't take it anymore and walked away before It ended up in a fist fight.I held back my tears and left the store and waited for DH.We talked in the van on our way back home and I called my brother and told him to come get chocolate cause I am not gonna get more attached and have to give him back.My heart is breaking and I can't seem to stop crying .What can I do.HE is gone!!!I will maybe get on later.:sad3: I had to leave out all the profanity that I was yelling to everyone while in the store.

Courtney
01-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Oh Erika!!! I am so sorry!!!!!! You have such a big heart. I hate that it has come to this. It is so obvious that you do what is best for your kids and your furkids. That story about your dogs growing up broke my heart!!

JanUet
01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I am So Sorry Erika :bighug:

Courtney is right. You DO have a HUGE Heart.

We are here for you when you need us. I am so completely shocked right now that I can't even offer a decent reply.:shocked: :shocked:

Helen
01-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh, Erika. :bighug: I am so sorry. I have no idea what to tell you. You did the best you could. We're here for you.

jenfer
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I am sorry to hear this. :sorry:

:bighug:

Pokeys Mom
01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
The whole situation is :sosad:. You do have a big heart and a good dose of reality. I'm :sorry: about Chocolate!

There probably is no way to get through to these people, but maybe print out this tip sheet if Chocolate has to be with them. It's from the HSUS Pets For Life program.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/dog_care/caring_for_your_dog_the_top_ten_essentials.html

:hug99:

Linus
01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh Erika, I am sooo sorry!! :gphug1: You are a wonderful person with a big heart. I hope everything eventually works out for Chocolate!

Lisa
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Erika, I am just crying for you right now. We are totally here for you if you need us.

I am at a loss for word, my heart breaks too.

:bighug:

Patt
01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
I am so sorry. :sosad: See how it goes if Chocolate gets worse I would report them.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry I hate to hear that.

Goob
01-25-2006, 08:02 PM
:ditto: I'm with Patt. Play nice and see how it goes. If there is neglect I'd secretly report them, and keep reporting them until either they surrender him or or ask you to take him perminantly. I'm so sorry Erika. You have a huge heart and Chocolate deserves better. :heartsign

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I know exactly how you feel....maybe he won' t get treated well or even properly cared for & you know that you would be a great guardian for him.
We all know it too.
I kinda know what you went thru when you were little. I grew up on a farm and I' ve seen dogs that get "dumped off" by people that didn' t want them wandering the road.
And I would get a dog that somebody give me but then come home from school & it "ran away" or "somebody came by & wanted it" so we gave it to them.
I wish there were something I can say to help you feel better....I know its not.Maybe if we send you :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:
of HOPE for Chocolate....

Nancy
01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm so sorry Erika. You have a great heart and unfortunately, some people just don't see it that way. I hope you get Chocolate back!

Frzframe
01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
how unfair of them. But, I'm really sorry you had to deal with all of it. If you didn't care it wouldn't hurt so much. :bighug:

If you know that he hasn't been to the vet maybe you can turn them in for not getting him his rabies shot because I know most cities require it.

Remember we are always here for you.

lotsadox
01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Erika, I'm so sorry. :sorry: You have the biggest heart there is and deserve to be treated much better by your family (you can tell them I said that). Here's a :bighug: for you.

BethMH
01-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I am so sorry for you Erika! :sorry: I know how much you love your puppers and all other puppers - especially those who are less fortunate. :hearts: I'm with everyone else on reporting the :bleep: (GF) for neglect. What I hope is that GF realizes very quickly she's not able to care for Chocolate. She couldn't before, so what makes her think she can now. Once reality sets back in, you'll be getting a call to come save the day yet again. Next time though, don't give him back!

Saying a prayer for you and Chocolate that his time away from you is very short-lived! :please:

Fluffy
01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Oh Erika!! I'm so so sorry to hear this. I was hoping that they would come to their senses and not try and take him back. I'm w/ Patt too...if they arent' giving him the proper care, I would report them also. He deserves to be in a loving home where he can get the proper care, love and affection he deserves. My heart is breaking for you because I know you could have given him all that and so much more. We are here for you if you need us!!! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Loren
01-26-2006, 08:11 AM
and all you care about is the WELFARE of the poor baby! :hearts: :hearts: I know how heartbreaking and FRUSTRATING it must be for you. Just remember that you are only looking out for the pup's best interest. Try not to let it consume you but do keep checking on how it's getting taken care of and perhaps keep a journal with dates, incidents etc. and maybe one day it can be used to get the dog in your possession where it will be loved and well cared for.

In the meantime :bighug: to you for trying!

Rae
01-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh Erika! That sucks royally!
I am so sorry... you were rescuing from a family member- how cool... GF sounds like a selfish witch and your borther and mom are not thinking clearly... ITA with watch and wait and report them. That is not good...

Remember- you did the right thing, you are still willing to do the right thing but unfortunately you cannot force people to see the light nor can you force them to do the right thing.. .you can't save them all.

Hang in there sweetie, GF will get tired of him again soon and hopefully he can come back for good.

We are here for you and Chocolate..

Otto'sMom
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. My mom just doesn't get it either. I'm sorry they sprang it on you in Wal Mart, but I'm glad you made a scene. That's what they get!
Maybe you could offer to buy Chocolate off of her? I agree with what everyone else is saying, playing nice and being the "friend" is the way to go. Then document the abuse and turn her stupid butt in.
We're here for you, especially when your family doesn't understand. I'm just happy you have such a wonderful hubby and kids to help comfort you too.
You're still my hero for trying.

Andrea

Rae
01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
HEY - I think Andrea is on to something- if GREED is the GF's middle name, perhaps a monetary exchange for Old Chocolate might be just the ticket?

Worth a try...

Jen
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I agree, if its money this woman loves, buying Chocolate might be the best option. And if it comes to that, be sure to draw up some paperwork, some of our rescuer can help with language, and get it in writing. :bighug: Erika, we all know Chocolate would be better off with you, but if you play nice, monitor the situation, try to appeal to her greed, and if nothing else works, turn her in for neglect. Hang in there!! My heart goes out to you!

Mama S.
01-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Keep the faith honey! Maybe just maybe she'll reconsider - maybe you can threaten to send animal control to her house for poor conditions? OR "HELP HER OUT" by keeping him... Don't beat yourself up though - you are a wonderful Mommy and we all know how hard you tried.
SAndi

Michelle
01-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh Ericka,
I feel for you and wish I could say something to help you feel better.
I'm sending lots of rays for you and for Chocolate, hopefully he will get the care he needs, I think you were perfect for him!!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigray

Irminsul
01-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I am so sorry to hear this very sad story! I hope you will get him eventually!

Alex's Mom
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh Erika, I know how hard this is for you...it's even harder when family members are the ones being totally unsupportive (been there where my animals are concerned!). You ARE doing the right thing, and never mind what your mother says. ITA with what everyone has said about either offering to buy, or else reporting the GF. At the very least, you can keep an eye on the poor little guy. You're his guardian :angel7: and I can't think of a better one. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your heart, and for Chocolate coming back to you.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear that.

K2
01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I agree with what's been said~keep your eyes open and watch what's happening~you never know. :bighug:

Gay Larsen
01-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Good Afternoon, Erika: The "Childhood" thing really hit a nerve with me; I'm amazed at the things we have in common. My parents were terrible in that regard. I used to have a dog named Prince; I loved him so much & he was not allowed to sleep in the house @ night; when it was cold, he would bark at night & Dad would get up & beat him. One time, before he passed, he & 2nd wife bought tiny poodle puppy & let it sleep in their bed. I was so bitter but had to keep my mouth shut. At this point, Erika, try to get out as peacefully as possible. Your Mother is WRONG, but obviously your brother is the one she enables; however, I concur with everyone else. I would totally go with the greed thing & make her a generous offer. Tell her you will keep it in a jar for her IF she ever happens to change her mind. Believe me, I think she just regrets not charging you money to start! Save the money; keep it back just for this purpose. At this point, IF your Mother brings it up again, just tell her the subject, for the sake of peace between the two of you, is CLOSED & no longer open for discussion. I do believe that eventually, GF will come around! They are ALWAYS going to be broke, Erika. I feel bad for you because these kind of issues just eat at you & your brother is also at fault here; he couldn't just take GF's side. Instead, he had to run to your mother. I feel bad for you & I will be thinking of you today & wishing for a peaceful end to this disagreement. Gay

Jacqueline
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I said how does she plan on affording all the bills when she is always broke.He said she gets paid alot and when she moves in with her mom again she will have alot of money.I said right away"if she makes good money how come she never helps him out like when he was in jail for traffic tickets,or when he has no gas.He always borrows from us.

No offense intended here, but it doesn't look like your brother or his gf are very stable types. So....how long will it be before he is coming around again to borrow money? The next time he asks for money, tell him NO....but you will buy Chocolate from him....and get both him and the gf to sign the bill of sale and have it notarized.

I learned long ago, there are some mothers you can never please. The best you can do is change the subject.

lotsadox
01-26-2006, 02:05 PM
ITA. Next time he wants money offer to buy Chocolate. At least that way Chocolate will taken care of. BTW, just because he's your brother, you don't have to give him money. In fact, if you love him, you won't. He needs to learn to stand on his own two feet now. My BIL was always babied and everyone in the family (except us) gave him money and "helped" him out. Where is he now? At 47, he's living with his grandmother, is a drug addict, can't hold a job. He has nothing to show for 45 years of life. In contrast the DH (his bro, the one no one cared about) runs his own company, has a big house in a nice subdivision, a great wife (:D ME!) and owns a truck, a 34 Ford Street Rod, a 66 Mustang (mine), a 05 Corvette (mine) and a motorcycle. He's a contributing part of society and we employ 3 people who are also contributing parts of society. Allowing people to become mooches and "helping" them by giving them money does not help them. If he wants money and you feel pressured to give it to him at least make him give you something for it or do some work for you and the work comes first money after.

Okay stepping down off of my :soapbox: now. (:sorry:)

quavec
01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
:bighug: :gphug: from all of us here to help you get through this Erika. Everyone said what I wanted to say. You did do the right thing, you do need to cut your brother off (monetarily) and keep your fingers :crossfin: crossed that they will sell (legally) Chocolate to you and then you can :hearts: him to your hearts content!

mydachsies
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I have had a long night thinking about where Chocolate is and is he safe.I found out that my brother took him back to GF's mothers house again.I hope he is inside at least.I am never helping any family member again.I am fed up with everthing.This GF has my first nephew who I don't even get to see maybe once every other month.I will never know what happens to Chocolate unless he dies or something and my brother tells me.I dont ever see GF only 2 or 3 times a year.The weird thing is she lives in my town but never comes around even when I invite to parties.I guess I wil have to wait until she needs me again but this time I will make her sign him over to me right away.She is a selfish B***h and said she wanted him back cause my nephew(1yr)is gonna miss him and be sad.First off I wouldn't want any of my kids around a flea infested animal until it was under control.Mine are allergic to fleas.That is why I am on the ball with flea preventive and control.One scratch and I am there with a spray bottle and it's bath time.I told him to tell her (he doesn't want me talking to her while I am mad) that she needs to tell him,the baby, (since he understands..whatever)that his doggy is sick and mommy just let him get that way cause she didn't want to take care of him and make him feel better.That he is outside cause grandma didn't like him in the house cause he pees like puppies usually do and that is why he has been scratching from ugly fleas that are making him sick!Man,she is so full of SH**!I hate her with the passion.I have dogs that live outside but they have a huge house,blankets,food,clean water,and get the same attention that the inside ones do.They are bigdogs with lots of hair, and a kennel to keep warm,who are okay and not tied up outside.They have shade for summer and shelter from winter.I hope I see her soon cause I am gonna punch her on sight.That is how mad I am!:mad: I am running out of words to say to get my feelings out clearly.I just pray and hope that chocolate is okay!That's it!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Jacqueline]No offense intended here, but it doesn't look like your brother or his gf are very stable types. So....how long will it be before he is coming around again to borrow money? The next time he asks for money, tell him NO....but you will buy Chocolate from him....and get both him and the gf to sign

My thoughts exactly!:scratch: Get them to agree to sell him to you! You can print any kind of paperwork up as a bill of sale and as long as they both sign it its legal!
:appl:

Frzframe
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
because she hasn't taken him to the vet I'm sure he hasn't been on heartworm perventive so it's very likely he has them. Sorry Erika to add this to you but it's the first thought I had since I just went through heartworm treatment for my foster girl Ruby.

I hope everything works out for you and the pup. You should be very proud of yourself for doing everything you could to keep him with you.