PDA

View Full Version : Jadaa is chewing herself raw

Mama S.
01-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Ever since we got her, about once or twice a year out of nowhere Jadaa begins this chewing on her hiney around the base of her tail. Doc Carrol says it's some kind of allergy and gives her a shot. She's fine again for months. SHe hasn't had one of these shots in well over a year. Now all of a sudden - out of nowhere - she won't stop chewing herslef. Same thing. I gave her a bath - we use flea control but wanted to see if perhaps she had picked up a couple - NONE> but her area around the base of her tail is red and inflamed where she's been chewing. Doc's in chuurch tonight - the ER vet I refuse to use after he misdiagnosed Pete so bad.
I understand that no one here is a vet - I' ve just read several of you saying that you have given your babies childrens benedryl. I don't want her to suffer all ight and I have it here - just unsure of how much to give her and don't want to OD her.
Anyone?
Sandi

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
My Shadow has the exact same thing. It' s an allergy. I found the only thing that helps that you can buy without going to the vet is a spray on Band-Aid Calamine Spray for Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac
Shadow really hates anything put on him. This he will let me use b/c he knows it feels good & he stops itching fast!
Alot of other stuff I' ve tried he rubs on the carpet & tries to get it off, cause he is picky about how stuff smells. Try it. It should help alot!

Goob
01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Mamma how much does she weight?

Mama S.
01-25-2006, 10:49 PM
she's about 19 pounds, she was at 21 but has been on strict diet and exercise and is down some - havne't weighed her but about 19
Mama

Yolanda
01-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Depending on the size of the pupper, I was taught 1/3 to 1/2 of the dose for a child. I would probably start with 1/3 dose.

Courtney
01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Children's benadryl is given at the same amt for a 12-year-old child. Regular benadryl (little pink pills) are 1 mg per lb. The pink pills are 25 mg so she would be fine getting 1 of those every 8 hours.

Patt
01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Trixie weighs 11# and I give her 1/2 tab Diphenhydramine (25mg Benadryl) 3 times a day. I gave the same amount to :angel7: Dodger and he weighed in at 14#.

I believe the dose for Benadryl is 0.5-2mg per pound every 8-12 hours.

Courtney
01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah Patt you are exactly right, sorry I am tired! The dose is up to 2mg per lb every 8-12 hrs. Start low and then you can increase if the lower dose isn't helping.

Tanya
01-26-2006, 12:57 AM
:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for Jadaa. I hope the benedryl helps!

Pokeys Mom
01-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Intersting about the spray on Benadryl. I haven't used it yet, just don't use it along with the oral medication.

Pokey is 15 lbs. He gets half of a 25 mg. adult tablet 3x's a day maximum.

Is the area raw already? If so, maybe dab neosporin or bacitracin on the area so it doesn't get infected. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Patt
01-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Maybe it's a 'hot spot' and if you have NeoPredef powder that would help.
Good luck and sending :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: it's better by morning.

There is also a Topical spray "Genesis" which is excellent for puritus.

Loren
01-26-2006, 08:48 AM
How is Jadaa this morning? That must feel SO uncomfortable. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Lisa
01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
From my vet I get a spray called Topagen and it is a glucocorticoid/antibiotic. I only have to use it when needed and it has lasted well over a year. When he breaks out I used it up to 3X a day and it works instantly. For Pogo his was initially like an exzema rash that he scratched and bit raw. But now as soon as I see the rash I spray once and he is good for weeks and weeks.

Sending lots of rayz to Jadaa :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Rae
01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
poor baby!! All I have is anti-butt-itch :rayz: :rayz: ...

Mama S.
01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Jadaa spent the night with Michael and he told me last night that she alternated sleeping and chewing on her hiney. It is only at the base of her tail. No bumps - just red where she is chewing. We bathed her in the shampoo that doc gave us and he gave her a small amount of Benadryl - he doesn't have a computer and I wasn't going to risk od'ing her. She is on her way to the vet for her shot! Thanks for the :bigrayz: and the advice!!! I'll update you later!
SAndi

Jen
01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Poor Jadaa! Tasha licks UNDER the base of her tail when her anals are full, and has licked herself raw. We had a prescription spray to use to keep it from getting infected. Spraying her little hiney did NOT make for a happy pupper.

Hopefully you can find out the source of Jadaa's condition! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Mama S.
01-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Poor Jadaa! Tasha licks UNDER the base of her tail when her anals are full, and has licked herself raw.

Where is the da**it man smilie when I need it? I didn't even think of that.... just called Michael's cell to tell him to have Doc check that! Now why didn't he think of that:scratch:
SAndi

lotsadox
01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I have used a hot spot spray from Petco that has tea tree oil in it. It comes in a spray and a foam. I think it's by Veterinarian's Best?? I'm at work and don't have the bottle here. I keep it on hand for emergencies since Bogart does the same thing only he itches on his hip area. Benedryl should stop the itching though.

jenfer
01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Hopefully she is feeling better!!!

Alex's Mom
01-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Alex has a tendency to lick her paws raw, and I use Variton cream on them. It's an antifungal, only available from the vet, and puppers HATE the taste of it. :eek: Works a treat! :bigrayz: for an itch-free zone! Let us know what happens!

Loren
01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I have used a hot spot spray from Petco that has tea tree oil in it. It comes in a spray and a foam. I think it's by Veterinarian's Best?? I'm at work and don't have the bottle here. I keep it on hand for emergencies since Bogart does the same thing only he itches on his hip area. Benedryl should stop the itching though.

Is this is Patrice?

Hotspot foam (http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=857&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=hot+spots&sku=771007&familyID=8831&#details)

squirrel818
01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
I have the Genesis spray from Crickets vet for her allergies. It works really well but he told me not to overuse it. What is in the shot the vet gives to Miss Jadaa?

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
I have the Genesis spray from Crickets vet for her allergies. It works really well but he told me not to overuse it. What is in the shot the vet gives to Miss Jadaa?

My vet gave me the same stuff for Shadow & told me not to use it alot either. That' s why I got the spray on Calamine!