PDA

View Full Version : Wind and barking

Fluffy
01-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't take anymore!!!!!!!!! They are driving me INSANE!! It has been super windy for DAYS now and every little noise, any little thing that blows and hits something else they bark bark bark at. A huge gust, bark bark bark. My wreath blowing on the door...you got it!! Bark bark bark!!! I have tried the penny can, just makes Buddy stop for a second, and Heidi just looks at it and barks at the darn can...as if to say, "that doesn't scare me." I've tried QUIET as that has really helped w/ Buddy also, but Heidi just keeps going. Its like she eggs him on. I don't know what else to try with her!! Once she starts, he joins in and they just won't stop. I"m going completely bananas and I dont mean :banana: 's either, I mean :dienana: any suggstions?!?!

lotsadox
01-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Becca, I know what you mean. Amanda used to be so bad before she finally got deaf and mostly blind. Now she doesn't see or hear much and so doesn't bark at things. However, she barks at me from the time I get home in the afternoon until I feed her. Even if I come home at 4:30! Feeding time isn't until 6:00. She makes me crazy. The spray bottle always helps a little. I even helps with Sweetums (another barker). That's my only suggestion. :sorry:

Fluffy
01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
forgot to mention that one...Buddy thinks thats one of the best games ever...he tries to catch the water :confused:

Pokeys Mom
01-26-2006, 02:16 AM
Maybe the winds are bringing in interesting or threatening smells too. Just a thought. Here are some anti-barking :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

bumpergirl
01-26-2006, 05:56 AM
I can't really offer any advice on this subject, but I can certainly relate. Bailey HATES the wind, and barks at it incessantly.

One time while I was still living in Phoenix, I dropped Bumper and Bailey at my best friend's house for the day as I was going to be out for several hours. By the time I picked them up that night she was ready to wring my neck! It had been extremely windy all day long, and Bailey barked ALL DAY LONG. This of course incited her three dogs as well. Oops. :doh:

Loren
01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Either water gun or can of pennies to shake and say NO BARK when you shake them.

Anatresia
01-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Rigby gets like that, but usually only when she's outside. We turn up our inside noises! During the day, the tv goes on loudly, and at night, we listen to cds that play rain or ocean noises. What she can't hear, can't hurt her, it appears.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-26-2006, 09:14 AM
yup, inside sounds really help! I have 1 that was scared of the wind too.

Helen
01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
We have a water/vinegar mix in our bottle. It works better than plain water on Charlie, and I bet Buddy wont' think it's so much fun to try to catch the water then! :shocked:

Mama S.
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe that's Sam's problem. We have had higher than normal winds this week. AS nightime is quieter than daytime - it could be the wind causing him to sing so "sweetly" to me ALL night long!! Excellent advice on the vinegar Helen! I'm going to try that!
SAndi

jenfer
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
The wind has been sort of howling at my place too. Fortunately Gi didn't bark at it! And usually when prissy sissy came home she would bark her head off, but not last nite... we were in my room and she was on her bunbed napping... prissy sissy asked if Gi was ok. lol. And Gi did bark shortly after that though.

Fluffy
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
We have a water/vinegar mix in our bottle. It works better than plain water on Charlie, and I bet Buddy wont' think it's so much fun to try to catch the water then! :shocked:

Thanks Helen!! I'll give that a try! Don't be surprised if I come back and tell you he loved it too...he used to lick whatever i sprayed w/ bitter apple til it was soaking wet!!!

lotsadox
01-26-2006, 01:46 PM
The vinegar/water is what they used in obedience classes to make the big dogs stop barking. In 4 classes of about 20 dogs each (at least at the start) I never saw a dog that liked the vinegar/water solution. I used vinegar and water with a little dish soap in it to clean my kitchen and bath so I just use that and none of mine like it.

Fluffy
01-27-2006, 01:06 AM
HELEEEEEENNNN!!! (See!! I'm ALWAYS excited to see you!) :rotfl: I could just KISS you!!! Thank you SO MUCH for that wonderful idea!! Buddy nad Heidi HATE the vinegar/water solution and I think I finally have the problem nipped in the butt!!! :thankyou:

Helen
01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
:woohoo: :cart: I'm so happy I could help!