PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a baby that only use pee pad?

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
A lady got a pup from me & emailed me that he won' t go outside, only on his pad. He' ll play outside & then come inside to pee. I told her she has to go out with him until he pees & then let him come in & give a treat when he does something right. Any advice I can give other than that?

Yolanda
01-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Take the pad outside to the place she wants the dog to pee. Then only give the pups treats when he goes outside. Eventually move the pad and leave a piece of poopy and some urine on the ground to encourage the smell. This trick works for me.

Loren
01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Take the pad outside to the place she wants the dog to pee. Then only give the pups treats when he goes outside. Eventually move the pad and leave a piece of poopy and some urine on the ground to encourage the smell. This trick works for me.

Sounds like good advice Yolanda! Fortunately, I haven't had that problem!

Jill
01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
LOTS of patience and praise!

Mama S.
01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
SOunds like good advice! I made the serious mistake of training Jadaa only to pads - that was a nightmare trying to break..
Sandi

Alex's Mom
01-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I used newspaper with Maxe, but the idea was the same. She started doing the same going outside to play and then coming in to do her business on the paper thing. I just kept moving it closer and closer to the door, then onto the back porch and then finally onto the grass. She got the idea pretty quickly (about a week or so if I remember) and while I'd be the last to say she was immediately housebroken (this is a dachsie we're talking about, after all!!! :rotfl: ) at least we broke the paper habit!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Yup, I do that with the pad & mine go on it outside.

Patt
01-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Good advice given and always take the pup to the same area. Please tell her to be patient, time and repetition will help.

Anatresia
01-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Puppy pads frustrate me. Here's why- both my dogs were trained with puppy pads and now when they really have to go and can't hold it, they think any throw rug will do!!!:rotfl: Especially puppy pad sized ones.