PDA

View Full Version : Kongs

BethMH
01-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I've noticed in response to one of my posts and several others posts that some of you have mentioned "frozen kongs." I did get Rueben a kong back when we first got him, but I have to admit, I did not use it too much. I need to pull it out again, especially if I am going to work with him on crate re-training. I am intrigued with the concept of the frozen kong. What exactly are you all putting into your frozen delicacies? When you give the kong to them frozen, do they typically start munching on it when it's that cold or do they give it a little time to thaw out?

Anybody have any good, easy, and not so messy kong recipes - frozen or unfrozen?

Thanks!

Helen
01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
You can find a few here: http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html (Click on "Tips and Advice", then Recipes)

I'm sure others will have their own favorites.

When I have given frozen kongs to Charlie, he starts in on them the second it reaches the ground. :yumyum:

Make sure you give it to Rueben a couple times while you're around to make sure he doesn't chew it too agressively. Charlie used to not, but I think I'm going to have to get him one of the tougher black ones (he has a red one now) because lately after all the food is out he'll just chew and chew the top. I can see it starting to crack.

Good luck!

Loren
01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I just put treats in the kong and cover the whole with low fat peanut butter. I just remember to limit other snacks since this is part of his food intake. When I go to the freezer in the morning, Chief does his 3 times spin and away to the crate where he is jumping waiting for his kong.

Patt
01-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Great recipes at the Kong link. I layer the Kong with kibble, yogurt, low fat biscuit, yogurt, Kong treats and Kong PB, top it w/yogurt and freeze it. Some put in veggies and fruits, there is really no end of different ways to fix a Kong. Trixie looks forward to getting a Kong and starts licking the top like an ice cream cone to get at the goodies. I'm sure Rueben will love it. I do cut back on the feedings when giving Trix a Kong, I do not want to overfeed.

Jill
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I give a kong to our boys everyday.

Each night I get it ready and stick it in the freezer for the morning.

I typically put some dry kibble inside it, 6 pieces, and then I fill it a bit with the Kong paste and then I stick a Kong cookie in it, with the cookie just sticking out of the top a bit. It keeps them quite occupied.

Jill
01-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Great recipes at the Kong link. I layer the Kong with kibble, yogurt, low fat biscuit, yogurt, Kong treats and Kong PB, top it w/yogurt and freeze it. Some put in veggies and fruits, there is really no end of different ways to fix a Kong. Trixie looks forward to getting a Kong and starts licking the top like an ice cream cone to get at the goodies. I'm sure Rueben will love it. I do cut back on the feedings when giving Trix a Kong, I do not want to overfeed.

Whoa Patt!! What size Kong does Miss Trixie get? :scratch:

jenfer
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I usually just line it with some Adam's PB and "sprinke" it with tiny bits of treats. :D Now I use the other treat toy (the one that has top and bottom and you screw them together. Tracy has that one too.) and I still line it with some PB, some treats and I put her breakfast kibbles in there too.

K2
01-26-2006, 01:04 PM
I give Pippit a Kong when several days a week. I sometimes put some kibble, a layer of peanut butter or pumpkin and then some treats. In the summer, I'll freeze it for him, but not in the winter!

Patt
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Whoa Patt!! What size Kong does Miss Trixie get? :scratch: OOPS, she gets a medium. :rotfl: I guess that does sound like a lot but it is small portions of each.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Gunner and Petunia have a large Kong and when I don't have the Kong spray I use Peanut butter, cottage cheese, low fat yogurt and layer it. Sometimes I mix small treats in with it or put chopped apples and carrots in with it.

BethMH
01-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Does the Kong get messy as they eat all of these goodies? I'm imagining peanut butter getting spread from one side of my kitchen to the other. Are your pups eating their Kongs in their crates or confined say in the kitchen?

Jill
01-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Mine don't get messy. As long as all the PB and stuff is on the inside.

Loren
01-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I only use the PB to clog the hole up and it's frozen when I give it to Chief. No mess here.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I use PB for the holes then layer the other stuff and freeze it--they get it frozen.

Patt
01-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Trixie eats her Kong on a towel on the couch. It's frozen and I think she keeps working on it until it's empty... no mess here.