PDA

View Full Version : Need a dremel rec

Courtney
12-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Napoleon wrote to Santa that he hates having his nails trimmed, and he would rather mommy try a dremel instead. Can anyone recommend a good brand and/or model? Maybe even one that can be bought online?

lotsadox
12-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I haven't tried the dremel yet. The DH has one in the garage. I think that Dremel is actually the brand. You can probably check the Home Depot website. I know they carry Dremel's in the store.

Patt
12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I have used the Oster brand in the past and it was good.

Jacqueline
12-05-2005, 04:23 AM
I have the dremel brand of dremel, but you should probably go look at them before you decide. The one I have would be waaaaayyyy more than what you would need or want for trimming nails. I've used it for cutting teeth out of boar's heads (dead ones...not into boar dentistry), crafts, etc. This one has an add on that allows me to vary the speed and power.

They make smaller ones, easy to hand hold that would be safer, I'm sure...and would be a lot cheaper than what I have. Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot should all have them. The people at Lowes would probably know a lot more about them than the associates at Walmart, tho.

Patt
02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Have you purchased your dremel? I found this on line but don't know which one would be the quietest.. Our Wal Mart didn't have one so maybe I'll check out Lowes, HD etc.

http://www.dresslersdog.com/groom03.html

BethMH
02-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Let me know which one you go with Courtney and how you like it. I think I could handle trimming my dogs' nails with one of those. I, too, am just not sure which one to buy. The $30-something one on the link that Patt posted looked pretty decent.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I work for walmart & trust me they never have people in a dept. that knows anything about the products they sell!
I was hired for Electronics, I know the dept well & THE PRODUCTS but they move me all over the place!!! I HATE it 'cos I wanna be where I know the products. But if you wanna go to walmart, check the beauty section to see if they have nail grooming sets. The one I work in has a rotary tool with a cone shaped sandpaper like end that spins & might work good. I use dog nail clippers on my puppers and been thinking about trying this thing.

areese
02-13-2006, 11:11 PM
My dog's nails are really thick. YOu might need a higher-powered tool than one that is for human nails. It would prob. work but take a long time. I have a regular dremmel from Home Depot. Didn't buy it for dogs but it works really well. But I think it cost like 60 dollars or something...came with some attachments and stuff. I think Dremmel makes a battery powered one too that is cheaper and prob. easier to use without the plug...
My dogs do tolerate the dremmel a lot better than clippers. I just did theirs tonight-took someone on this group's advice (can't remember who...) and put peanut butter on a plastic lid to keep them busy while I did it. Worked great :)

Courtney
02-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I think I got the cordless minimite....I haven't used it in a while. Napoleon still hates it. I need to start the whole nail trimming process over so he tolerates it, but I'm being lazy about it!

alfina
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM
cordless minimite is what I use. I paid $39.99 at Target for it and it came with all kinds of attachments for other use.

I also purchased the dognail kit for $24.99 a while back but it runs on AA batteries and it gets expensive replacing them.

Patt
02-14-2006, 12:51 AM
cordless minimite is what I use. I paid $39.99 at Target for it and it came with all kinds of attachments for other use.

I also purchased the dognail kit for $24.99 a while back but it runs on AA batteries and it gets expensive replacing them.My question is... is it quiet? I already have a dremel and it's way too loud, dogs are scared of it. I thought the cordless would be a little more quiet.

alfina
02-14-2006, 08:14 AM
It is pretty quiet. It has some humming to it. Like clippers do.

P.S. I use it on low speed only for nail trimmng. It is louder on high speed which s not needed for the nail trim.

Courtney
02-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it doesn't seem too bad on the low speed. I can sort of get Napoleon to let me touch his nails with it, but if it is on high speed, forget it!

jennie_c_d
02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I got a blue cordless dremel at Walmart for $20. I LOVE it. It has a 4.8 v rechargeable battery. It's a major wimp, as dremels go, but it's *perfect* for doggy nails. It's much quieter than those Oster nail grinding kits.

alfina
02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I think on high speed it heats up their nails quickly. Even on low speed I only work on each nail 3 sec and then switch to the next, then go around the paw again.

Patt
02-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! :)