PDA

View Full Version : Local Dialect Lesson....

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
It has occurred to me to post this in the past but I am so glad I didn't! I never would have heard "that Buddist weiner thing". I am so loving that. It started my day with a smile...

but as you know "us Tex-anns can sometimes talwk funny!" While in any other context the word Buda is pronounced /b/ /oo/ /d/ /ŭ/ the little podunk town south of Austin is pronounced /b/ /ew/ /d/ /ŭ/. :scratch: :scratch:

Two Red Smooth's
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
LOL! The word I will never understand and hear so often is fixin'. Example I'm fixin' to go to McDonalds want anything?

My husband is fully aware that he is NEVER EVER to use that word in my presence.

lotsadox
02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Fixin'? Fixin' is a southern staple. Like big ole or a piece. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I used to live out in the country and I'd ask someone where something was and got instructions like "you go up the road a piece and turn at the Baptist church. Then you go to the big oak tree on Joe Browder's property and turn left at that little road. :duh: Yeah, I know right where that is. :rolleyes:

Anatresia
02-05-2008, 12:25 PM
It's the whole "y'all" versus "yous guys" versus "all of you" debate. LOL.

lotsadox
02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
It's "y'all" and it's also "coke" not soda, coke. Doesn't matter what flavor, it's coke. And tea is iced tea. Not hot tea. If you order tea here, you'll get it iced. You want it hot? Order hot tea.

areese
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
One thing I wonder about often is putting the word "the" in front of freeways and highways. I wonder what area that comes from. Like up here we say "Get on I-75". Since my sister moved to Florida, she keeps saying things like "Get on THE I-75", "Take THE 4 to THE 44". What's up with that?

Courtney
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
It's "y'all" and it's also "coke" not soda, coke. Doesn't matter what flavor, it's coke. And tea is iced tea. Not hot tea. If you order tea here, you'll get it iced. You want it hot? Order hot tea.

EXACTLY!! I have nothing else to add...

Except it's a shopping cart, not a buggy. A water fountain, not a bubbler. And they are SPRINKLES, not jimmies.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
One thing I wonder about often is putting the word "the" in front of freeways and highways. I wonder what area that comes from. Like up here we say "Get on I-75". Since my sister moved to Florida, she keeps saying things like "Get on THE I-75", "Take THE 4 to THE 44". What's up with that?

The is a Cali thing... we don't use that in Texas that I know of.

oh and it is fixin' ta... not fixin' to

lotsadox
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Except it's a shopping cart, not a buggy. A water fountain, not a bubbler. And they are SPRINKLES, not jimmies.

Bubbler? Jimmies? OMG, that is too funny! I had heard someone call it a buggy was thinking "What's she talking about?" :lol:

oceangirls
02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
And tea is iced tea. Not hot tea. If you order tea here, you'll get it iced. You want it hot? Order hot tea.

Does it also automatically come sweet, or is that just in the Southeast part of the U.S.?

I don't know anyone in FL who says "Get on the I-75," Amy! :scratch: But I have heard it from Californians like Zandra mentioned... maybe the people your sister works with are from CA??

In Florida we have people from everywhere, so when people come in my office with their spouses, I never know whether to say "how are y'all?" or "how are you guys?" (I can't use the word "youse" and be believable :rolleyes: ). Sometimes I just say, "how are both of you?" :rolleyes:

Patt
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know anyone in FL who says "Get on the I-75," Amy! :scratch: But I have heard it from Californians like Zandra mentioned... maybe the people your sister works with are from CA??

I've never heard a Californian say that, must be a "transplant" from out of state. :rotfl:

lotsadox
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Does it also automatically come sweet, or is that just in the Southeast part of the U.S.?

Depends on where you are. If you're in a small cafe or independent restaurant it will often be sweet. If you're in a chain, it usually isn't. In Houston there are so many people from so many places that you don't find the sweetened tea in restaurants as much as you used to. Maybe it's also because we were on country's fatest cities list a few years ago and everyone is trying to slim down. :lol:

areese
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by areese

The is a Cali thing... we don't use that in Texas that I know of.

Now that would make sense cuz Ruth lived in CA before Florida. And Oregon before that. And Hawaii before that...

Anatresia
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM

New Yorkers do this, too! The 90, the 290, etc.:rotfl: And we say "pop" not soda. ;)

lotsadox
02-05-2008, 11:23 PM
New Yorkers do this, too! The 90, the 290, etc.:rotfl: And we say "pop" not soda. ;)

It's not pop either. It's coke. COKE!

Tex
02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
It's not pop either. It's coke. COKE!
Amen sister!!!!! Being an original Southern gal, I have to agree with all Southern posted words/phrases. 'Cept, round here, we use words like "fixin' ta"...."didjaeatyet" (read=did you eat yet?)..."youontto" (do you want to?).....and one of my personal favorites "usetacould".....as in "Coach Georgie, can you still do a backflip? Answer-"I usetacould" :D

I have also noticed that John (originally from Maryland) will put the emphasis on a different syllable of a word than I will. My favorite-inspector.....he would say INspector, while I say inSPECTor.....weird :duh:

Anatresia
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Coke is what you say if you want "Coke". You'd say "pepsi" for Pepsi. And "pop" to describe all of the flavors. "I'd like an ice cold glass of Pop." :rotfl:

Jacqueline
02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I've lived in Florida since 93 and never heard anyone say The 75 or the 44 once....huh? I thought 'fixing' was what you put on your burger.

I am amazed at the number of things people call shopping carts, and trust me, working at Publix, I hear them all. One of the newest baggers keeps refering to it as a carriage. Brings to mind Cinderella doing her shopping.

We hear just about every accent imaginable coming thru that line.

Rae
02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
in Kentucky you can get either tea or unsweetened tea. Tea is assumed to be sweet....ummm, like tea syrup. Or ya'll can have a COKE.

"What kind of COKE do you want? Diet Pepsi is fine..."

areese
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
in Kentucky you can get either tea or unsweetened tea. Tea is assumed to be sweet....ummm, like tea syrup. Or ya'll can have a COKE.

"What kind of COKE do you want? Diet Pepsi is fine..."

LOL Wouldn't the pepsi people be THRILLED to know Pepsi is merely a kind of coke????
Reminds me of going to Waffle House in KY the year we got Laika... it was christmas day and nothing else open and the waitress was oh so nice (and calling me honey which also seems to be a southern thing cuz up here NOBODY calls ya honey unless they know you well) and she rattled off the hundred ways you can get your hashbrowns and I didn't understand ONE WORD...I asked her to repeat them...still didn't get any of it so I meekly said "plain". How sad is that...a million choices for your hashbrowns and I get plain :sosad:

Rae
02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
OMG Amy you have not lived until you have had Waffle House hashbrowns done right. :sosad: I myself prefer scattered covered smothered peppered and buttoned with some of that good waffle house salsa on top.

translation = busted up from the patty and scattered on the grill, with cheese, onions, jalapeno peppers and mushrooms.

I cannot however bring myself to go all the way. Chili is just a bit over the top even for me.

AND you did notice the waitress who stands at your table and yells at the cook on how to make them HAS to use their terminology in order, right?

for the inside scoop on Waffle House and how they remember those orders. go here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray/378694469/)
It's an art form, I tell ya.

Waffle House is the home of the devil. I can gain weight just by driving past one. But they DO have really good coffee.

Anatresia
02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I've lived in Florida since 93 and never heard anyone say The 75 or the 44 once....huh? I thought 'fixing' was what you put on your burger.

No, that's "toppings" you put on your burger!!! (the list goes on and on!)

I want to go to a Waffle House. Sounds yummy!

areese
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
OMG Amy you have not lived until you have had Waffle House hashbrowns done right. :sosad: I myself prefer scattered covered smothered peppered and buttoned with some of that good waffle house salsa on top.

translation = busted up from the patty and scattered on the grill, with cheese, onions, jalapeno peppers and mushrooms.

I cannot however bring myself to go all the way. Chili is just a bit over the top even for me.

AND you did notice the waitress who stands at your table and yells at the cook on how to make them HAS to use their terminology in order, right?

for the inside scoop on Waffle House and how they remember those orders. go here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray/378694469/)
It's an art form, I tell ya.

Waffle House is the home of the devil. I can gain weight just by driving past one. But they DO have really good coffee.

Now I feel even worse...I missed out....
There are no waffle houses here :(
HOWEVER we are going to Kentucky next month and I am SO going to Waffle House and SO getting stuff on my hashbrowns. Fixin's. Toppings. Whatever.
I will study up before we go.

Courtney
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
OMG. Hashbrowns from Waffle House with onions, cheese and MUSHROOMS (fave) please. And a giant bowl of cheese grits.

Rae
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
oops I goofed. Mushrooms is capped.

Amy- the total package is
scattered (a must - otherwise they are almost a patty)
American cheese (covered)
diced yellow onion (smothered)
Sliced jalapeno peppers (peppered)
diced fresh tomatoes (diced)
mushrooms (capped)
diced lean ham (chunked)
add chili with beans and you have ALL THE WAY!

happy hashbrowning!

areese
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
oops I goofed. Mushrooms is capped.

Amy- the total package is
scattered (a must - otherwise they are almost a patty)
American cheese (covered)
diced yellow onion (smothered)
Sliced jalapeno peppers (peppered)
diced fresh tomatoes (diced)
mushrooms (capped)
diced lean ham (chunked)
add chili with beans and you have ALL THE WAY!

happy hashbrowning!

I'll just print this out and hand it to the waitress, K?

Rae
02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I think that even at the Waffle House (where pretty much anything goes) they would draw the line at hashbrown crib notes.
:rotfl:

lotsadox
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Waffle House. That's the place where you can sit on little yellow plastic chairs right next to some guy in a pig hat, isn't it? :scratch:

Linus
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Ahh Waffle House...

My parents got married when I was 7 and for their honeymoon we all went to Disney World. Our hotel was right across the street from a Waffle House and we had breakfast there every morning. Good times, good times.

doxiemommy3
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I am confused on all the talk....but I usally figure it out what people are saying...pop, soda, Coke....whatever....if not everyone knows what water is right.

:( I have never been to a Waffle House and I see them all the time...poor me...heck never been to an IHOP until last year when I adopted Speedy.
Ohhh how deprived I was and am...ok I have also never been to a baseball game or football game...what a un exciting life I had LOL...poor me

Tex
02-07-2008, 08:22 AM
ATTENTION, ATTENTION: All DLCers coming to Buda in April who do not have a Waffle House nearby. There is a Waffle House less than 10 minutes from my house!!!! Come on down.....:cheer3: (now I have that line from Shrek in my head where Donkey says "and in the mornin', I'm makin' waffles!")

OurLilRascals
02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
And here I am married to a yank that says "yous" and "soda" and I always get the look for "coke" and "fixinta" when the man has been in Oklahoma over 15 yrs.

My nanna always said "Yur fixinta get your backside lit up, ifn' you don't get your ma a glass of tea".....

Dang the southern in me!!