PDA

View Full Version : Prickles T. Hog, Aug. 21, 2001 - Feb. 21, 2008

Tanya
02-22-2008, 03:28 AM
It's very hard to write this, but our spiny little girl has passed away.

I woke up on my birthday with a temperature of 101 and body aches. John decided to stay home from work to take me to the doctor as I tend to get very dizzy when I'm sick and I can't drive. Well, the appointment was in the afternoon so John left me downstairs to rest with the wiener dogs while he went upstairs to work on some laundry and stuff.

Around 1:30 I woke up and went upstairs to see what John was doing because we had to leave for the doctor. He was asleep in our bed snuggled up with Prickles. So, I woke him up and that is when he discovered that Prickles had passed away in her sleep. She was laying on her side just like she was asleep, but she would not wake up.

Needless to say, it's been a tough day. She gave no indication that anything was wrong this morning. John said he played with her and she was just like she always was. I guess snuggled up with her daddy was her way of saying "Thanks for a wonderful life, but it is time for me to go."

She was 6 years and 6 months old to the day. Here she is on August 21, 2007 - her 6th birthday:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/3PsAug0711.jpg

Prickles was our first pet together and we got her when she was a little hoglet. We lived in an apartment that didn't allow cats or dogs, so I suggested we get a hedgehog. John had spikey hair back then and I called him Hedgehog. We found Prickles in a pet store and she was an angry little hog. I was actually scared to pick her up, but John worked with her and she became the nicest hedgehog. Whenever we took her to the vet, they'd always comment that she was the friendliest hedgehog they've ever seen.

Here are some of my favorite pics throughout the years:

A real hog
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee146/tanyab21/PricklesEating.jpg

With a life size crystal hedgie from Lisa and Rafi
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/CIJ9.jpg

Fits in the hand
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/Photoshoot11.jpg

The infamous spiny pillow
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PeachesnPrickles.jpg

The first time Piper met Prickles
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PPP2.jpg

Peeking through the flowers
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PhotoShoot15.jpg

You messin' with us?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PnPOutside2.jpg

Peaches says "Prickles, you're the best hog ever"
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PPinBed2.jpg

These were some proofs from our wedding. Prickles was the star as she was carried down the aisle in her fancy house by my FIL
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/PricklesWedding.jpg

RIP Prickles - it won't be the same without you. :candle3: :prickles:

Anatresia
02-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Awww, Tanya, I'm so sad for you & John! :candle: RIP Prickles!:prickles: She was a special girl and it's always been a treat to see pics of her and your pups. She will be missed.:hug99:

samandissy
02-22-2008, 04:12 AM
My heart breaks for you, Tanya. I so enjoyed reading about her and seeing her pictures. She was a great special little friend and I am so sorry she went to the Bridge. Thank you for the picture tribute to such a sweetie...:candle3: :candle3: :candle3:

alfina
02-22-2008, 06:57 AM
I am sorry about your loss. She will be missed by all of us.

JanUet
02-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Oh My Gosh T!!!!!! I am shocked to read this post.

I am so very sorry for your loss of Prickles. She was a very sweet girl
I remember meeting her in Ohio :hearts:
She was the little traveller wasn't she.

I will miss seeing her pics and reading about her adventures.

RIP Prickles :candle: --You were loved by so many :hearts: :hearts:

Lisa
02-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Oh Tanya NO! I know how much Prickles was loved by you and John (and us here too!)

She was so lucky to have you both as parents and you were lucky to have her as your first pet together as she was so special.

Thank you for sharing her with us too, I honestly never knew hedgehogs had so much personality until I met you.

I think this must go down as worst birthday ever the only positive was John was home with you.

My heart breaks for you both, RIP sweet Prickles girl. :candle2: :candle2: :candle2:

Yolanda
02-22-2008, 08:13 AM
tanya,

I am so sorry for your loss. Pickles sure was a luck hedgie to have been lovd by you, John and the fur kids. All of will miss her.

Alex's Mom
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Tanya and John, I'm in tears here...I never knew anything about hedgies until I met Prickles...she was a special little hog indeed, and I've always enjoyed hearing her adventures, and even more, seeing her pics, esp. those with Piper and Peaches. At least she crossed peacefully, snuggled up to her dad.:candle2: will be lit here for our little prickly girl. Godspeed little one, safe passage to the bridge. :hug99::hug99::hug99: for the spiky little hole in your hearts.

Almost Doxie
02-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Prickles was one lucky little hedgehog. she had quite a life.

Two Red Smooth's
02-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Jill
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I am so sorry! :hug99:

Rae
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh, T, NO! I am so sorry sweetie. I had never had any exposure to hedgies before Prickles either and grew to love her- the photo tribute was wonderful and I think you are the only peron I know who had a hog in her wedding...

She truly was a special part of your family, and ours here too. I am sorry she's passed but glad you had her in your life.... hugs to you and John and the weens... life surely will not be the same.

Again, I am so so sorry and you guys are in my heart.

Jen
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh Tanya, I'm so sorry. To be so ill and then to lose Prickles (not to mention on your birthday) what an awful day. The only good thing is that Prickles went gently, in her sleep with those she loved close by. Who can ask for anything more? :hug99: :hug99:

areese
02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm so sorry!!!! Glad she wasn't sick and her passing was peaceful but it must have been such a shock for you and on your birthday :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:
I remember the spiny pillow pick from when I first joined. She was the cutest coolest hog ever! I know there's a huge hedgehog shaped hole in your heart and your lives now.
Safe Journey, darling Prickles.

quavec
02-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh no, Tanya. I'm so sorry!

You and John are in my thoughts. :hug99:

Tex
02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh no!!!! I'm sorry about Prickles, and on your birthday T, wow. You and John are in my thoughts and :pray:s.

Her pics are wonderful! :hearts: That was a beautiful tribute! :candle2: Prickles

lotsadox
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Tanya. Prickles was so adorable. :hearts: But she did go knowing she was loved and snuggling with her daddy. What a sweet girl. I'll miss seeing the cute pics or Prickles and the weens.

Run free little girl! :prickles:

Courtney
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh, my heart is broken!! I never met her but I loved Prickles so much. She is the cutest little thing ever. :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: She will be very very missed.

Mama S.
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
What a sad day in the DLC world. I had only seen hedgies on tv and had almost zero knowledge of them. Through the years Miss Prickles educated me, made me laugh and allowed me to share with my new knowledge with the kids in my park.
I am soo sorry that she had to leave us.

Mama

brooklyns_mom
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear about Prickles. I don't check the boards very often but Courtney just told me and I had to come in here and leave a note of sympathy. I loved seeing the pictures of her with your doxies. So cute! Hang in there. Prickles will be waiting for you at the bridge. I'll make sure Brooklyn watches over her until then :)

--Amy

phoria2
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I am so sorry for your loss:hug99: .
I always loved seeing pictures and hearing the wonderful stories of Prickles adventures. She was well and truely loved.

TheDoxieHaus
02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I have really enjoyed seeing pictures of prickles and sharing them with my husband.

doxiemommy3
02-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I am sorry for you loss, I truly enjoyed hearing about Prickles. :hug99: for you all.

viener weiner
02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
to read this, and am so very sorry for your loss. I didn't even know what a hedgehog was let along you could have one until I saw pictures of your sweet Prickles. Rest in peace little one, you will be missed.

LUVMYGUNNER
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
So sorry, RIP special little girl.

Otto'sMom
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
She was so friggin cool! I am so sorry you don't have her in your life, but she will always be in your heart. The cool thing is that she had such a wonderful life and got to pass peacefully that the Rainbow bridge will be even a brighter place with her spirit there. Mistreated animals will see her and get to see how good life can be and have hope in mankind. You did such a good job being her parents. Her soul is a happy glowing one.

oceangirls
02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh Tanya :sad2:!! I'm so sorry for you and John. It's so nice to know she was snuggled up with her daddy feeling loved and secure when she went to the Bridge. I am glad I got to meet Prickles in Ohio; she really was a sweetheart and you should be very proud of her!

:candle: for your girl.

michelehbc
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Oh, God..NO! Not Prickles....augh this is awful, I am so so so so sorry Tanya.
:sad2:

:hug99: :hug99:

You gave her such a good life! I know she'll be waiting for you!

bittyup
02-22-2008, 02:19 PM
MY HEART BREAKS FOR YOU. I JUST LOVED PRICKLES. I'VE HAD HOGS AND LOVED THEM BOTH BUT I THINK YOU REALLY DID HAVE THE BESTEST HEDGEHOG IN THE WORLD. SHE WAS SO KOOL AND FRIENDLY.:hearts: :prickles: :candle3:

Goob
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh T..... I'm so sorry.....

Opaleyz
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm in tears here. What a shock this is. Like many of us on here, I had not known anything about hedgies until I came on here and learned about Prickles. I always really enjoyed seeing pics of her alone and with the weens. Prickles was a very special hedgie and her light is shining at the bridge.

Rest in Peace, sweet Prickles.
:candle: :candle: :candle:

bsquared
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Prickles! I always loved hearing about and seeing pictures of Prickles. RIP, Prickles! :candle2: :hug99: to you and John! :hug99:

Frzframe
02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry. What a shock it must have been to you two but I can't think of a better way to go out then in the arms of a loved one. :hug99: I still have that photo of her and Peaches as my background at work. I love that photo of the prickly pillow. She will always be in your hearts and in ours as we've all comes to love her and her fellow hogs.

Red Haired Girl
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I am so very sorry. She was a sweet little girl. Like everyone else who knew nothing about hedgies, Prickles was my introduction to them. She was a fine spokesperson for hedgies everywhere and you, Tanya and John, were the best parents she could have had. :candle:

AnnMarieK
02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
I am so very sorry. She was a sweet little girl. Like everyone else who knew nothing about hedgies, Prickles was my introduction to them. She was a fine spokesperson for hedgies everywhere and you, Tanya and John, were the best parents she could have had. :candle:

I will miss her pictures and adventures..... she was a wonderful hedgie and y'all are wonderful parents !!!!!!!

Patt
02-23-2008, 12:26 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of Prickles passing. :sosad: Thank you for sharing the beautiful tribute to her.
I'm another member that didn't know a thing about Hedgies until you introduced Prickles to us.

I will light a :candle3: for the newest :angel: at the Bridge.

Many :hug99: :hug99: for you and John.

jenfer
02-23-2008, 03:41 AM
I just read this. I am very sorry for your loss.
RIP, sweet Prickles. :candle:

laura
02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I just read this and I am so shocked and so sorry! Like all on this board, I got to be a hedgie person through YOU and Prickles! I loved loved loved the pictures! Very sorry for your loss! Not enough words to express.....Thank you for sharing her (or was Prickles a him? guess I never knew) with us!

Laura

Barb
02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. She was adorable and I love all the pictures. I love the story of her being a part of your wedding. Godspeed sweet Prickles...

doxiechick
02-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I just saw your post. I am so sorry Tanya. I don't post much but I am hear almost everyday reading. I have so enjoyed your stories and your pictures of your babies.... Again, I am so sorry.

lizzieb38
02-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm in tears! So sorry for you loss. I know it might not help you, but my daddy passed away 13 yrs. ago on the 21st, so he was there waiting for our Lil Prickles!! And here is a picture in honor of her, because she was the inspiration for it!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h70/lizzieb38/001-1.jpg

RIP Lil One, We will miss you!!!

Rileybugg
02-24-2008, 04:17 AM
I'm so, so sorry. I will miss hearing about her and seeing her pictures, along with so many here. Thank you for posting those delightful pictures. Many :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you both. I know my Spike will also be looking out for her at the Bridge.:candle2: :sad1: :heart:

ebmw1975
02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I am so so sorry. You and Prickles educated me about hedehogs and I know that none of us here will ever forget her. I will keep all yall in my thoughts and prayers. She is most definately making the Bridge a brighter place to be.
Brooke, Jake, Oscar and Barkly

Tanya
02-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks everyone...your comments mean a lot to me and John. I've read all of them several times when I've been missing her and feel some comfort knowing that she has touched so many lives.

I came across this picture on my camera. It was the last picture I took of her. I thought it was so cute how she was asleep with her little taily-po sticking out. :hearts:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee146/tanyab21/PricklesTail.jpg

Jacqueline
02-25-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Prickles. She was such a little darling. I know that we will all miss her. I love that last photo of her....it's so doxy.

RIP, little one.

AgileOllie
02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm so sorry....:hug99:

LexieLuvr
02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh NO! I've been on vacation, then out sick for 2 days and I'm just trying to catch up! I am SO, SO terribly sorry for your loss. Prickles was one of the family, and we will all miss her very much.

Kerie
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Kasianni
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Prickles..:sosad:
Never knew anything about hedgehogs till all those wonderful stories and pictures...she will be missed. I am terribly sorry for you loss.:candle3:

mcvwdox
03-18-2008, 03:02 AM
Sorry to hear about Prickles. Sounds like you have some great memories and also some fantastic pictures of her.