PDA

View Full Version : Odd Potty Behavior

SaraInCT
01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
When I take Jimmy out to do his business, he has lately taken to squatting like he's going to pee, look up at me, and nothing comes out. He will do this about two times and if I wait long enough he will eventually actually pee. We have a vet appointment on Tuesday a.m. and I will be bringing in a urine sample to check for a UTI. He's such a goofy little guy that part of me thinks he's trying to trick me into giving him a treat by pretending to pee. Any suggestions?

Patt
01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
It could be the beginning of a UTI, I agree with the vet visit just to be sure. :thanx: for being so observant, I'm sure Jimmy appreciates it too.

Sending :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: just in case. :)

Courtney
01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Hahaha! Being a dachshund I wouldn't doubt he could trick you for a treat. But, you do need to rule out UTI. You might also want to have a urine culture run as well as a urinalysis. Silly guy! Hope he is OK!

Yolanda
01-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Silly guy, my first thought was he did not want you "watching" him go. Could also like the other mentioned a trick to get a treat or the begining of a UTI. Probablyu bet to have it checked out.

SaraInCT
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Hahaha! Being a dachshund I wouldn't doubt he could trick you for a treat. But, you do need to rule out UTI. You might also want to have a urine culture run as well as a urinalysis. Silly guy! Hope he is OK!

Thanks for the heads up. What is the difference between a urine culture and a urinalysis?

Courtney
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I found this at http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_transitional_cell_carcinoma.html:

"Urinalysis and culture. Many people are confused by the difference between these two tests. A urinalysis is an analysis of urine including the a brief chemical analysis and a microscopic examination of the cells contained in the sample. A culture involves plating a sample of urine sediment on growth medium, incubating for bacterial growth, identifying any bacteria grown, and determining the what antibiotics are going to be effective.

* Urinalysis and culture will rule in the presence of a bladder infection."

A urine culture is often done by sticking a needle into the dog to get a sterile sample. Your vet may not think it's necessary and it may not be, but sometimes infections will not be detected on urinalysis only.