PDA

View Full Version : Mexican jumping bean??

Frzframe
01-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Okay I have a small problem with Ruby. She resembles a mexican jumping bean!! I can not get her to stop jumping (not just on things like the sofa either). She hops and jumps and skips about and I'm afraid she'll have a relapse if I can't get this under control. I do try to tell her "off" but that just makes it worse because she pops back up. What should I do??

lotsadox
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
That's a tough one. I always dread Miller having some problems that he would have to stay quiet. He's my jumping bean. The only thing I can think of is to use the squirt bottle when she jumps. You could work keep her on a leash so she can't really jump much for the short term, but that's not a long term solution. Maybe someone else's brain is working better than mine :confused: and they can come up with some better ideas.

Courtney
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
They sell no-jump harnesses I think. I have never used one, but I know they exist. Another thing, for an excitable dog, is to make them sit calmly before you give them attention. Does she know sit already? If she does, then just work on it. Ask her to sit. When she sits and is calm, reward her. Give her attention and affection only when she is calm. Sounds easier said than done, but it does help! My foster Jackson was like this. he had to sit before he got petted, every time, because he would jump up. He would also run up on the couch, take flying leaps off the back, and just be everywhere, so he was generally not allowed on the couch unless he was going to be calm. I taught him OFF with the spray bottle and it worked very well.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
You can always baby-gate her to an area where there' s nothing to jump on.
The sit command thing does work if you don' t like to use a baby-gate.

Frzframe
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
and one reason is because she is a mexican jumping bean. Also she's a babygate climber which I think may have lead to her back troubles. She can climb a gate so fast that I can blink and she done gone over it already. Hmm, I may start with sit and really work on that one with her. Frankie is getting better at it and Yankee is doing really good. Heck it is so much easier to teach a big dog sit because all you have to do is take the treat over their head a tiny bit and down goes the butt. :)