PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to freak

BethMH
01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
My son just found a spot on Rueben on his chest just to the inside of his front right leg. It's about the size of a nickel. It's a flat, raised hard spot and about midway in the circle, has the marking of a circle. I don't know if I am describing this so you can understand what it looks like. I'll try to get a photo and post a little later. My vet cannot see him until Wed. afternoon - well, she could see him tomorrow if I dropped him off and left him there and then they phoned a report to me later, but I don't want to do that. I want to be there to talk to her. Anyway, I'm just freaking out. I can't imagine what it is. He's had all of his shots. He's only been outside in the backyard. UGH! Any ideas on where I might be able to find say a photo online with a description?? My poor baby!

Goob
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Beth....

Yikes! That's a scary discovery. Take a deep breath. You'll get to the bottom of this and he'll be fine. A few people on the board have most likely experienced so this would probably help:

1. Does it hurt him when you put pressure/touch the spot?
2. Is he eating/drinking/pottying normally?
3. How's is behavior? Normal? Different than normal?

Here's extra strong :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

And hugs to mutter!!! :bighug:

Lisa
01-30-2006, 07:50 PM
SUPER GRAPHIC WARNING!

Do they look like any of these, because one looks exactly as you describe:

Hot Spots (http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html)

Patt
01-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Lisa has a good suggestion and since you mentioned it is in a circle perhaps it is possible to be ring worm. None of the these are life threatenting and can be treated easily, so please don't fret over it. I know easier said then done but you will transfer your worries to Rueben. Who knows maybe it will disappear before Wednesday. As long as he's eating drinking and doing everything else normal he will be fine.

Sending lots of :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: Rueben.

JanUet
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Casey gets hot spots under his armpits. I took him to the vet and they gave me a spray. It's DERMACOOL. An anti-inflammatory Astringent spray for Dogs. I spray it on him twice a day for 3 days until it clears up.

It does come back now and then.

I hope that is all that Rueben has.

Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Rueben.

HotDogMama
01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Rueben!

Tanya
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't know what it could be, but you have received some good advice. Major :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reuben. Did the vet have any ideas when you phoned her? I hope its something minor. :pray1:

jenfer
01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Sending Rueben :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:
I hope it's nothing serious.

BethMH
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't know if it's a hot spot or not. It kind of looks like one of the photos on that website, but it's not wet or oozy. It's very dry. Here are a couple of photos I took of Rueben. Don't know if you can tell anything from it. Kind of hard to see with his dark fur.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/Emsha217/100_0420.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/Emsha217/100_0419.jpg

Does this look like anything anyone has seen before? My daughter is freaking out that it's something contagious.

I did not speak to my vet. I just called to make an appt. The woman who answered the phone is the one person up at my vet's office who really grinds on my nerves. I just wanted to get off the phone with her.

Anyway - I'm sure it's nothing serious. Appetite is fine. Mood is fine. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Here he is with my son... (wooohooo - the resize option worked for me tonight!!)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/Emsha217/100_0398.jpg

LUVMYGUNNER
01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Rays:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reuben.

oceangirls
01-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Don't freak, Beth! It is most likely something minor and even if it isn't, you caught it quickly! That being said, of course we all worry when we find something on our dogs that is not supposed to be there. Agree if you could post a picture, we might see something we recognize :)

sending rayz for Rueben!!:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: !!

Anatresia
01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
ohhh, he's sooo cute- too cute to have any health problems!!!:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Here's some rayz for him.

It reminds me of ringworm, from the pic. I had ringworm before- it sounds way more gross than it is- you can get it from being outside in the grass. My doctor thought I probably contacted it from the dogs, who carried it in from outside. (Please don't think I'm dirty or gross- it really isn't like that!)

BethMH
01-30-2006, 10:12 PM
oh for goodness sake Tracy - I would never think you were dirty or gross!!

i know these things exist all around us - it's just part of life - the not so glamourous part though

i'm thinking it's either ringworm, a fungus, or even bacterial infection

now my teenage daughter will absolutely freak on me if it is something like ringworm - especially if she were to get it! 15 years old and having ringworm - doesn't sit well with the peeps! :shocked:

i just hope wed afternoon gets here fast!

by the way - i love the glittermaker website - hope you don't mind my stealing your idea on signature...i just thought it was WAY too cool!

Frzframe
01-30-2006, 10:59 PM
but that last picture sure can melt a girls :hearts: . :)

Anatresia
01-30-2006, 11:20 PM
by the way - i love the glittermaker website - hope you don't mind my stealing your idea on signature...i just thought it was WAY too cool!

It's all good in the DLC hood.

Alex's Mom
01-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Alex gets something like that every once in a while, usually under her little armpits. There's a long name for it (ending in ...dermatitis! LOL) but I just call it her dachshund skin thing. It's some form of fungus, and my vet gives me Variton cream to put on it, which clears it up pretty quickly...until the next time! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of you!

K2
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reuben. Please keep us posted.

Rae
01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I vote for ringworm or some sort of fungus. In my limited experience, anything O & P (odd and peculiar) like that has been treatable - one thing to check- is it attached to the "meat" under the skin? If the skin flows smoothly and you can move the thing around without it feeling like it is stuck to anything under the skin, that has always been a good sign for us on Duchie as well as our
mountain curs
beagles
lab
border collie
etc etc

in the meantime :bigrayz: for both of you

LUVMYGUNNER
01-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Any update??

BethMH
01-31-2006, 10:55 AM
No update yet. Vet visit not until tomorrow afternoon at 3:40. :(

I will post something tomorrow night on what the vet says.

The spot seems confined just to the top layer of skin. It does not appear attached to anything below the skin surface. But the skin is hardened where this thing is. So weird!

oceangirls
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Looks more like an infection than a growth to me, too (not an expert, of course). I'm glad you have a vet visit scheduled so you can get it taken care of. He is sure a cutie :muchlove:

Yolanda
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
It looks like a skin fungus that my Sassy gets every now and then. She has low thryoid problems and the vet put her on a low dose of meds ever day. I also have a dermentis shampoo she gets bathed in.

Good luck with what ever it is and please let us know.

Michelle
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Beth, my vote is ringworm too,, when I adopted my cats from a shelter one cat came home with it and infected the healthy one. Then Rachel and I each got a spot on our face, it is very treatable and it does go away, but it is just a pain..

the spot looks just like the one looked on the cat, hopefully they will do a skin scraping and test for ringworm or some other fungus.

Bathing them with the shampoo is easy for the dogs, but trying to bathe 2 cats 3 times a week for 2 weeks was awful!!.

Don't freak out if it is ringworm, your daugther might freak, but it can be treated.

Please keep us updated!!!

Mama S.
02-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Checkin in to say hi and hope all goes well this afternoon!! WIll be watching for the updates!:bigrayz: :bigrayz:
SAndi

Patt
02-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Update on Rueben's vet visit here....

http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=1921&page=2