PDA

View Full Version : Pet store visit

BethMH
01-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Went to GNC today to pick up some things. Petland is right next door. Haven't been there in a couple of years. Looked around to see what kind of pupper food and supplies they carry. Well...I couldn't resist looking at the puppies. I think every single window had a puppy in it. They were full to the brim with puppies. Every window was a different breed. They were so cute. :cutiepie2 It just broke my heart looking at them thinking about what kind of life their mommies or daddies were having. :heartbk: Looking at how itty bitty some of them were and wondering how old they were when they were snatched away from their siblings and mommies. There was a precious mini dapple curled up sleeping away. :muchlove: She was adorable!!! I wanted to go up to anyone in the store and say - hey - did you buy these puppies from a puppy mill??? :mad: I wanted to save them all, especially the mini dapple. I wished them all a good and happy life and hoped that by some small miracle they came from a reputable breeder. :please: I've been thinking about every one of them all afternoon and evening!

Lisa
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I am so sorry Beth. I feel the same way...I don't even frequent petstores that sell dogs or cats anymore, because I feel so sad when I leave. Lots of hope that the world learns about petstores and puppy mills....and the days for dogs being sold like a bag of dog food disappears.

:bighug:

Frzframe
01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
cause it just makes me sick. Poor puppies and poor their poor parents. :(

Patt
01-31-2006, 02:24 AM
I know what you mean that is :sosad: Thank heavens we don't have Pet Land around here. Unfortunately the pet shops are making big bucks so this will never stop. Reputable breeders do not place their pups in pet shops.

Otto'sMom
01-31-2006, 09:10 AM
I have that trouble when I used to volunteer at the pound. (Thanks to the ship's schedule, I don't have the time anymore) All the kittens reaching out through the bars at me, and the dogs just calling out to be loved :(

Rae
01-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Being the mommy of a Mill Mother, I not only have a soft spot for the poor puppers but for their mommies and daddies as well.

I too refuse to even buy a squeaky or go in - it just makes me mad and I might have to... well you know... roundhouse kick someone to the face ala Chuck. :lowblow:

Jen
01-31-2006, 11:07 AM
There is a Petland a few blocks from where I live, and after we first got Tasha we did shop there a few times--this location has no puppies--but the second I found out that other locations sell mill puppies, no more! I've not been back! :seeya:

JanUet
01-31-2006, 11:14 AM
I used to LOVE going into Pet Stores to look at the Kitties and pupperz until I found out that all of them come from Puppy Mills or BYB. It makes me sick to my stomach to walk into one now. I just don't go anymore.

You all know that We bought Casey from a Pet Store ( before I knew better)
We paid $2000.00 for him.
We got Sophie from Rescue and paid a whole lot less.

We :love5: them both.

Nancy
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
i can't go into those types of places. breaks my heart.

BethMH
01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
After Beamer went to the bridge, I went into Petland to check out the puppies and almost bought one. Oh my gosh, she was the cutest thing I had ever seen. I'm pretty sure she was a mix (not doxie). She was fluffy and black. I fell in love with her. But she was sssssoooooo expensive and was a mix. There was no way I was going to pay that much for her. But I kept thinking about her for the longest time. Then we happened upon Rueben. He came with a leash, harness, crate, food bowl, and tons of toys (all since destroyed) and cost me $000.00. What a deal! :)

Having learned more about puppy mills and rescue, I cannot see me ever buying from a store. I won't be visiting Petland anymore either. I was like Janet. Once, I would always go into the pet stores just to look at the cute puppies and kittens. But knowing what I now know, I don't because I do get too emotional.

I prefer to do business with Petsmart and the newest store that carries the better quality kibble and raw food (can't remember the darn name). Both stores support pet rescue!

Whoa Janet! - have you taken out an insurance policy on your rather expensive pupper?? I am floored at how much some of the pedigree breeders charge for pups today! Whew! My Beamer was a mere $100 back in 1987 and my mother thought that was crazy for a mixed pupper. He was worth it though!:hearts:

JanUet
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Here's the kicker!

Casey isn't even a purebred! We have NO papers nothing! We bought all his bowls, food, toys, leash and collar.
I would not give him back for a million bucks!!!!
He is probably a puppy mill dog that will only have a life span of maybe 10 years. I know I will enjoy those years :hearts: and after Casey and Sophie go to the bridge (20 years from now!) Doug and I will adopt Seniors and live out our retirement with them until it is there turn to go to the bridge or ours.

I didn't even know that Breeders existed until I met a few Dachshund People.
I always thought that you bought your pets from a Pet Store or got one from a Shelter. Sad Isn't it :sosad:

Mama S.
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Last time I discussed a petstore I basically bawled a lady out who's DD owned one! Told her that her daughter was supporting puppy mill mommys. Just couldn't help myself! I'll admit that my beloved Hershey was rescued from a petstore BIKB (before I knew better) refuse to even go near them now!
SAndi

BethMH
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I have decided to do business only with the petstores that assist in rescue efforts, such as Petsmart and Petco. Went to Petco tonight to purchase the buddy bones - the compressed ones - to see how long it will take Rueben to get through one.