PDA

View Full Version : Leather couches and doggie toenails

Jen
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
We're probably going to need to replace the futon couch when we move this spring, right now its a futon with a fake leather cover, but the frame is on its last legs. I'd love to get a real leather couch, but worry about the effect that Tasha's nails might have on it. She'd not do it intentionally, but might she rip a hole in it? Does anyone have a leather couch or chair? Has it stood the doxie test? I just wonder if I'd be better off with fake leather again....

Because of my allergies it can't be cloth.

Alex's Mom
01-31-2006, 01:43 PM
The house I'm living in right now (I'm housesitting for a few months for a friend) has a leather couch, and so far, there hasn't been any problems with it. In fact, it seems to be standing up to Alex remarkably well...certainly better than my upholstered couches which are currently in storage, complete with holes from her and Maxe jumping up on the back to peer out the window! The only thing is, Alex doesn't like lying on it unless she's on a blanket, cuz it's kind of cold and slippery. Nothing but the best for HRH!

K2
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I used to have a leather loveseat and it did fine with (then) Penny and Pippit jumping on it all the time.

Wiener Mom
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
We've had leather for quite some time now & wouldn't have anything else. Three wieners and not one scratch mark. We like it so much, we are moving this set to the rec room & purchasing another leather set for the family room.

oceangirls
01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
If the nails are clipped properly, I have not had any problems. But we have several scratches from nails that were ragged (like Angel sometimes chews her own :rolleyes: ). We have two sets of leather furniture - you can buy different grades of leather. Our purple set, which of course is where the dogs spend all their time, is a soft, very smooth leather that is not as resistant to scratches. Our black leather couches are a very strong textured leather, and we have had no problems with that. They are both good quality, just a different appearance. Get the stronger stuff and I don't think you will have problems.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Can't wait to see what more people have to say.

Mama S.
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't have leather furniture but do have leather in the burb and no probs with it. THey are all in crates for normal rides but I do let them ride around the park with me and they have not hurt it at all. Unsure of the difference between it and furniture but thouught I'd throw it in there.
Sandi

Jacqueline
02-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Taffy hasn't done any damage to the leather seats in the car, and she scrambles around on them when I am inside, and dh sits in the car with her.

alfina
02-01-2006, 06:40 AM
We have a leather couch with tougher leather and t is fin. Of course, I dremel nails and round up ther edges. So, it doesn't make them as shap after clipping them.

oceangirls
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I think we may also have a few scratches from chewed ends of Nylabones. Again, this is just on our softer leather furniture.

Jen
02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone! Ok, so if we go with the leather couch, I'll make sure its a thicker, rougher leather. My budget doesn't run to the really fine, top grade ones anyways! :D