PDA

View Full Version : It's Time Grrrt. It's Time.

Otto'sMom
04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Grrrrt has had a very bad weekend of kidney failure. She ate Saturday morning, and my hopes were up, but she couldn't keep it down and stopped drinking and eating. She can't control her bowels and is miserable. Dr. Moore told me to find whatever painkillers I had to make her comfortable, and bring her in for one last needlestick tomorrow morning.
It's as if she heard "when she stops eating, drinking, and loses control" it's time and she did it all this weekend.
I've known and been prepared for this ever since I've gotten Grrrt. She wasn't expected to live for more than 2 weeks to 2 months. She's lived 5 years with me. Exactly. Her gotcha day is April 7/8. I paid her adoption fee on the 7th, and received her death sentence on the 8th. Five years ago.
It's harder than I thought to sit here and write this, watching her take her last breaths on her dog bed, as she lays staring at nothing.
As selfish as it sounds, just once I'd like for them to go peacefully without me having to intervene. I think back to Dusty, Izzy and the cats I've lost and the decision is never an easy one on my heart.
Goodbye Grrrrt. I know I won't be able to recognize you at the bridge until you bite me. You'll get to be whole, with a sleek doxie body and strong short legs. My petunia. It's time.

Linus
04-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh Andrea. I don't even know what to say except that I will be thinking about and Grrrt tomorrow. I know that you hate them, but :hug99: :hug99: for both you and Grrrt.

Run free, dear Grrrt.

JanUet
04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh Andrea! My heart is aching right now, my eyes filled with tears as I read this.

I always had a special place in my heart for Grrt *as I'm sure we all did*

Inside my mind I am shouting No! No! It's not our Grrrt's time! It can never be Grrt's time!
Sadly, Grrrt knows...it is her time and that she has had the best life she could have ever dreamed of having, with you and the Anipals.

Please give her a little kiss from me, Casey & Sophie.

She will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Run free, Our sweet little Grrt, until we all meet again, at the bridge :candle:

alfina
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I am very sorry Andrea.

Tex
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Having met Grrrt last year at Buda, I don't ever want it to be her time either!!! But they know when they know, and it's the last kindness we can do for them...not that it ever gets any easier.....

I will keep you and Grrrt in my thoughts and :pray:s tonight. I know that this has to be one of the hardest things you've ever had to do......

This is my favorite picture of Grrrt taken last year at Buda.....:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1230/4737902/19148754/312212893.jpg

ebmw1975
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I am so so sorry, i wish I could do something, anything for you and Grrrt.:sosad: :hearts: :hearts:

LUVMYGUNNER
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I hate to hear that. I love her in her little hat.
RIP

michelehbc
04-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh, Andrea. I have been racking my brain. What can I say? What is there to say? I am so sorry does not feel adequate. Even though I am. I am sorry because it sucks to say goodbye. Especially to someone as special as Grrrt. but I am not sorry that she got to spend her last years in your wonderful home, Grrrting, snarling, snuggling and eatin' good. And I am not sorry that you were so blessed to be able to spend those years with her. This is so hard, and I wish that I could say something, anything even halfway decent, but my words are, at this moment, inadequate.
The only thing to say is, Farewell Grrt, Old Girl, run free, and snarl at big dopey dogs in the sky until Mama comes home to be with you forever. :hearts:

:candle2:

Frzframe
04-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Andrea, I'm so sorry. I will be thinking of you and Grrt.

Two Red Smooth's
04-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you at this time.

areese
04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
SO so sorry, Andrea. We will be thinking of you. Please give her a kiss from me and the Weens and Salsa.

lotsadox
04-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm so sorry, Andrea. I know exactly how you feel. I"ve been fortunate enough to have several of mine take the decision out of my hands. That is a blessing. Grrrt knows that you will take care of her and do what's best right to the end. This is the hardest decision for us and the kindest for them.

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug99: :hug99:

HotDogMama
04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm very sorry Andrea,:bighug: :candle: for Grrrt, I'm so glad that she got to spend her last years with you and your crew.

RIP Grrrt,:angel: I can see her already with a string of Sonic cheese sticks hanging out of her mouth :)

Otto'sMom
04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
The Sonic memories are some of my favorite. Thank you for that. Grrrrt hasn't been doing any of her regular Grrrrtisms for so long. Cassie makes noises like she used to and it just rips my heart out.

Courtney
04-06-2008, 11:36 PM
My heart is breaking too.....it is the hardest thing to do, but is the greatest gift when it is time. :angel: :candle: :candle: :candle:

Rileybugg
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Oh dear. She has such a loving mom to make that difficult decision. I'm so sorry. :hug99: :hug99:

Fluffy
04-06-2008, 11:56 PM
As I sit here with tears in my eyes I don't know what to say. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: Andrea. My heart breaks for you. :candle: :candle:

samandissy
04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
My heart hurts for you, Andrea, and the Anipals. I don't like 4/07. It will be 11 years ago tomorrow that my sweet little Annie went to the bridge. I know how hard it is.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
04-07-2008, 12:01 AM
There are no words... my heart is with you!

Opaleyz
04-07-2008, 12:25 AM
She has had a wonderful life with you, Andrea, and she will have a fabulous time running around healthy and free, waiting at the bridge for you...all the same, it breaks my heart when any of our little low ones must leave us. My thoughts will definitely be with you and Grrrt at this difficult time.

Tanya
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I am so sorry Andrea! :hug99: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your heart. Grrrt was a special girl and it was an honor to meet her at Buda last year.

Patt
04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
I am so very sorry. :hug99: This is the most difficult part of being a guardian. :hug99: I will light a :candle3: for Grrrt's journey to the Bridge.

Shared tears,

Jacqueline
04-07-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm sitting here this morning thinking about you and Grrrt. She knows how much you love her, and knows that it is okay to go, that you will be okay. Loving :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of you.

Lisa
04-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Grrrt was a very lucky girl to get to spend 5 years of her life with you.

I am so sorry for your loss Andrea.

:candle: :candle2: :candle:

Alex's Mom
04-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh Andrea. I just opened this up this morning, and my heart is breaking for you, and for Grrrrrrt and for the decision you've had to make. We know it's for the best, we know it's the kindest thing...and the hardest. And we know that we'll meet again. But still...

The oddest thing...as I was writing this, Alex woke up from a dead sleep beside me on her bed in the office, started whining and wanted to be picked up. she NEVER does this. NEVER!!!!! I showed her Grrrrrt's picture, and she stopped whining and gave my hand a little lick. I think she and Grrrrrt have always been connected, and I think maybe that was Grrrrrt's way of letting you know it's OK, she's ready. Godspeed, little cranky girl. We'll be lighting a :candle2: for you, and holding you and your mom close in our hearts today, and always. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

phoria2
04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. :sad1:
She was truely a special girl.:hearts: My thoughts and prayer are with you and the anipals today.:candle2:

Otto'sMom
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
It was not an easy night. I stayed up with her till 2 am, and then woke every hour because she kept yipping and making horrible moaning noises. She is fighting it every step of the way, and I wish I could have given her some peace. She's in the truck ready to go, and I'll be leaving shortly with her.

Thank you all for your kind words.

areese
04-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Poor sweet thing....
Have a safe and fast journey, little Grrt. We'll be seeing you!!!!!!!!!

wawailc
04-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Andrea,
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug99: I don't know what else to say...

Rae
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
:sad1:
Gosh, Andrea.
I am so sorry. So very, very sorry.
She was lucky to have you, you were lucky to have her, we're glad you shared her haughty hatefulness with us.
And this just farking sucks.

:hissy: life is not fair.
But we knew that.

The old gal had a grand last five years, thanks to you.
And she can keep Sweetums and Heidi company.

And this just farking sucks. I'm so sorry sweetheart. So very, very sorry.

:candle2:

Yolanda
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Dear Andrea,

What can I say to easy your pain. Nothing. I know it is strange but as I say in the rescue world as long as you feel the pain when you loose one it is right in the world. It means you loved and you cared.

Place the memories of the last 5 years in your heart and smile everytime you thing of the joy she brought to your life.

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Barb
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh Andrea, tears are flowing here.... I have only known your Grrrt for a short time, but realize what a special girl she is. What a loving 5 yrs you have given her and are now giving her the final goodbye. She couldn't have asked for a better mommy. Godspeed sweet Grrrt and hugs to your mom.....

AgileOllie
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I am so sorry, Andrea. You are in my thoughts at this sad sad time. I'm so sorry.

Kasianni
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I am so sorry Andrea, I am thinking of you and Grrt this morning. I know what a hard decision that must have been as I have had to do it twice myself, within 3 weeks of each other. You are doing what is best for Grrt, no more suffering and pain. :hug99: for you and :candle2: for sweet Grrt

oceangirls
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry, Andrea! :(

:candle: for your girl.

Jill
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I am so sorry. Words cannot ease the pain. You gave her a great life. :angel: God speed little girl.

Otto'sMom
04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
She went quickly, before Dr. Moore even got the needle out of her, amidst the clamor of a Monday morning at a vet's office. I tried really hard to keep it together and would've done really well if they hadn't hugged me and handed me tissues. I of course, made inappropriate jokes about who was next in the Anipal Death Pool, and then snuck in a question about when Darwin's DNA test would be in. I kissed her head one last time and they carried her out in a pink towel.
I left biting my lip as I heard others wailing in grief at the fate of their own dogs (seizures, dog attacks) I went to Sonic and had cheese sticks in her honor.
Thank you all for your kind words and even the hugs. My Petunia Piddlesticks (grrrrt) may have passed on in body, but her spirit will be with me always.

I just can't believe the timing: 5 years to the day of me paying her adoption fee. Five years and not one day more or less.

Jill
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
:hug99:

Rae
04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
It was the best 5 years of her life.

And I am very proud of you for having Cheese Sticks in her honor.

It still sucks.

lotsadox
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM

It still sucks.

:ditto: Grrrt would be proud, too. :angel:

Fluffy
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Alex's Mom
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM

It still sucks.
Honkin' huge :ditto: And I'm doing enough crying for both of us. :hug99::hug99:

JanUet
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Yup! :ditto: here as well! The water works have started again! :sad1:

Knowing Grrrt, She is probably Ruling the Roost right now and ordering up Sonic Cheese Sticks for everyone!!!!!
Sayin' "Step aside Rainbow Pals, The Queen has arrived!!"

doG Love her :hearts:
I just can't get this silly image out of my head of her prancing around like she owns the joint! :rotfl:

michelehbc
04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
:sad2:

JuneyTrixie
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Grrrt. She was such a sweetheart and I looked forward to hearing about her antics.

I know though, she is enjoying a new and young body at Rainbow Bridge. She is playing with Bunny, Cooler, and all the other Doxie Lovers seniors now. I know that although Grrrt is missing you now, she realizes that she had a wonderful last few years with you.:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Jen
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

I guess this thread didn't need a tissue warning, we're all mourning the loss of Grrrt with you. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to kiss that little head for the last time. Every DAY we get with our dogs is a gift, it really is, and Grrrt, had five wonderful years with you, despite the odds and gloom and doom predictions. It doesn't heal the hole in your heart, I know.

Linus
04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I cried last night and again a little this morning. Words can't say enough, but sometimes the old addage, "actions speak louder than words" is completely true.

I work 2 minutes from Sonic, and I had fully planned on having cheese sticks in Grrrt's honor for lunch. As Murphy's law would have it, I woke up sick this morning, didn't go to work, and didn't have cheese sticks for lunch, but I promise I will for dinner.

ebmw1975
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I am sorry Andrea I have been thinking of you and Grrt all morning, I was up at 5am so I decided to drive to Sonic and got cheese fries for breakfast in her honor at 8am. She will be grately missed here, but I know she is a happy Queen at the Bridge and will bite you so you know her as soon as you get there. :hug99: :hug99: :angel:

Teddysmom
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I just saw this this afternoon and I am so very sorry to hear about this. I don't know what to say....Words cannot take away any pain or suffering you are feeling right now; and I'm crying as I type this. I agree with JanUet, she's at the bridge, rulin' the roost! Go get 'em Grrrt:rolleyes: ! Lighting a :candle3: right now in her honor. Sending plenty of :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you and a bunch of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to help heal your aching heart.

Otto'sMom
04-07-2008, 02:38 PM
As I held Grrrrt last night and this morning, I was telling her stories about how the were building Doggie Sonics up there just for her, and how the other dogs were all "What the heck?" and she'd have to teach them the joys of Sonic.
Her bark, while not the loudest, will be the one missed most when I come home today.

Frankie'sMom
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I am so sorry to hear of Grrrt's passing. Bless you Andrea for giving her five years of loving care. :sosad:

bsquared
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh Andrea, I am so sorry. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but you gave her such a wonderful life. I loved hearing about her antics. You are in my thoughts and I am sending all the :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: I have. :candle2:

Yolanda
04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Dear Andrea

I will be having dinner at Sonnics' (Cheese Sticks) in Grrrt's honor. It will be my honor to do so.

YO

lotsadox
04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
As I held Grrrrt last night and this morning, I was telling her stories about how the were building Doggie Sonics up there just for her, and how the other dogs were all "What the heck?" and she'd have to teach them the joys of Sonic.

Bogart is very happy to know that there will be a Doggie Sonic at the Bridge when he gets there. One of his big days was going to get his picture taken and then to Sonic with mom for a treat. He was like "Wow, they bring food to the car".

Red Haired Girl
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Her bark, while not the loudest, will be the one missed most when I come home today.

:sad1: I am so sorry about Grrrt, Andrea. You will hear her in your dreams

Rafi
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you for helping Grrrt cross the bridge, I know it was not an easy decision, but it was time.

It is an amazing story that Grrrt decided to stay with you for 5 years rather than the short time the doctors told you.

We will miss Grrrt.

AnnMarieK
04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh Andrea, I just read this post... I am in tears for you...Literally. I am so sorry, you are one of the kindest most loving hoomoms that I know...You are so like Grrrt.... she must have truly found her kindred soul in you and refused to leave as long as she could. I'm sorry kiddo, but you need these :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: ... or maybe I did. I am here for you if you'll accept a shoulder to cry on.... or if you need a dinner companion. Grrrt was a lucky girl and so are you for having her in your life... Take care of you...:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

K2
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Andrea...I don't know what to say. I am sitting here with my heart breaking for you, tears streaming down my face. I am so very sorry for your loss. You did give her a great life.....and although I know you don't like them....:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: Run free Grrrt. :candle3:

viener weiner
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
hear this. Grrrt will be sorely missed. I will say a prayer for your little angel :angel: . I guess she is where she needs to be right now :sosad: . I guess that's the very worst part of pet ownership, the fact that our beloved pets will most likely die before we do. You should be very proud of yourself for doing the right thing for your dog, and for giving her such a loving home for five years.

Take care of yourself. Perhaps a milkshake is in order.

Love, Gina and Joy

Otto'sMom
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Anipals%20Also/Mississippi4.jpg

JanUet
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
:hug99: :heartbk: :sad1:

As Rae said "It Sucks!"

Azaren
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm still tying dog faces to names to people...but I knew Grrrt, even in the short time I've been posting. Her personality radiated through the pictures and stories you told. She was an amazing dog. I am truly sorry for your loss.

:candle3: :candle3: for you and your :angel:

Rileybugg
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Andrea, we are wrapping our paws around your broken heart to help your pain.:hearts:

Tootles, Freckles, Rileybugg, Molliewog, Jasmine, Bella, Chili Bean & Little Spike

michelehbc
04-07-2008, 11:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Anipals%20Also/Mississippi4.jpg

literally. bawling.

Frzframe
04-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Gosh Andrea do you know how to make me bawl or what. :sosad: :sosad:

Barb
04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
My heart just broke when I saw Grrrrt's empty bed...... I smiled when I thought of her explaining to all the angels about Sonic !

Hugs to you Andrea -

Mama S.
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
You know you are a member of the DLC when you stand in front of a police officer and try to file out a report on bad checks and instead all you do is apologize run to the bathroom and cry. To hell with business - Grrrt going to the bridge beats any importance business could have ever dreamt about.
Grrt made me realize that not every day had to be full of sunshine and roses. You can be a crochety ole beeyatch and people will still love and adore you. Grrrt my head knows that you are where you need to be. my heart says screw that - this hurts too much. I missed you by 3 weeks - my loss.:sosad:

Mama

yourmomsage
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Grrrt! I always loved seeing her new pictures! Just remember that all your fellow doxie lovers here at DLC understand your loss and know how you feel. Any time you need to "talk" about it, you can be sure we'll understand.

Sending hugs your way, and kisses to Grrrt at the rainbow bridge, where she'll be frolicking with my girls, Princess and Buffy. And no more pain.

Alex's Mom
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
You know you are a member of the DLC when you stand in front of a police officer and try to file out a report on bad checks and instead all you do is apologize run to the bathroom and cry. To hell with business - Grrrt going to the bridge beats any importance business could have ever dreamt about.
Grrt made me realize that not every day had to be full of sunshine and roses. You can be a crochety ole beeyatch and people will still love and adore you. Grrrt my head knows that you are where you need to be. my heart says screw that - this hurts too much. I missed you by 3 weeks - my loss.:sosad:

Mama
I know what you mean, Mama...last night was end of term and I took my two classes out for a beer to celebrate. Got tired of explaining my red eyes...how to tell people who don't even really know you that you've been crying all day for a dog (and her mom) that you've never even met??

Da Brat
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
OH HELL. I help it together with huge knots until I got to the empty Grrt bed... This sucks every way you look at it! It sucks they have to suffer in the end, it sucks that we have to let them go, it sucks that I didn't get to meet her, it sucks that I'm not wearing waterproof mascara, and I just ran out of kleenex... But what sux the most is that I don't feel I can do anything to soothe your pain!! You are one of the most awesome, selfless, loving, caring, awesome, courageous, did I say awesome people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting! And I WILL be snatching a hug the very first chance I'm given!!!

bittyup
04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't know what to say.....I just loved that frosty faced girl with the straw hat who loved to eat cheese sticks. You were truly blessed to have known her and she was blessed to be an anipal. Lots of hugs for the herd:bighug:and their mom and a candle from each of us to light the way :candle: :candle: :candle:

doxrox
04-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I just saw this post...my sincerest condolences...it always seems the worst injustice that their lives are so much shorter than ours. I'm a week late but I'm still going to light a candle for Grrrt. And then I'm going to go hug my old man Charlie a little closer than usual.

Otto'sMom
04-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Not late, just perfect. I picked up her ashes yesterday and it seems so foreign that a girl of such substantial weight within my life is reduced down to a small packet of remains. I can manage not to cry about her passing and even joke, as I am a morbid humored woman. That bed is still painfully vacant though.

Jen
04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I am glad you have her ashes to keep with you. :hug99: She has definitely left a Grrrt sized hole in your heart.

Otto'sMom
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I am glad you have her ashes to keep with you. :hug99: She has definitely left a Grrrt sized hole in your heart.

Grrrt sized would be heart shaped and made of poo.

laura
04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I am late to this event Andrea, I am crying reading this entire post. I loved her stories...loved loved loved them. She will live forever in my heart too. She was such a character and the heart poop, well...that tops absolutely everything!!!

I am sorry for your pain and wish I could take it away. But as Yolanda says, the pain proves that there is still RIGHT in the world as it proves that love lives.

lizzieb38
04-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm so sorry! Just take some solace in the fact that she's at the bridge, and you gave her a wonderful 5 years. Grrrt is a real:angel: now!

Rambo&Sophie's Mom
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
literally. bawling.

ITA I am so so very sorry for your lose...I can't even fathem it, I am balling here at work :(

Otto'sMom
04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
It is difficult, but unavoidable. My beliefs ease the pain, but I still feel the loss so deeply when she's not where she's supposed to be. I know she's pooping hearts at the Rainbow bridge, and if there is a Dog in Heaven, she's pooping on my neighbor's house too, just for Poltergrrrt effect. I remember her with love in my heart, cheese sticks in my hand and an empty bed at the foot of my chair.

Again, I thank everyone who has given me words of support and the lovely cards. They help.

Rae
04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Poltergrrrt

ok, a Poltergrrrt who poops hearts. WHO SAYS we're not sick and twisted, even in grief?

Jen
04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Definitely sick and twisted. But it makes life more fun!

Bella's Mom
04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Grrrt. The empty bed...I can't imagine...:sad1:

Anatresia
05-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I am soooo sorry to read this!!!!! :candle::hug99:

LexieLuvr
05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
I haven't been on for quite some time, but please accept my sincere belated condolences on your loss. Grrrt is now in a place of pure love, with so many of our furkin gone before. RIP, sweet furgirl! :sosad: