View Full Version : Rueben's vet visit today

BethMH
02-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Not what I expected. The vet confirmed the hardened area was not connected to anything and Rueben's lymph nodes were not swollen. She aspirated some cells from it and looked under the microscope. When she did this, it bled. So she wiped off the area. When she did that, it lifted a scab off the entire enflamed spot and exposed a raw, open wound underneath. After reviewing the slide, she said she found a mix of cells, including cells showing sign of infection and abnormal cells and I think another kind of cell - cells that signal an allergic reaction.

The slide was not conclusive, but she said it could be one of two things. It could be a reaction to some kind of a bite or sting or it could be a malignant (abnormal cells) skin cancer that is confined just to the skin (does not travel through the system). She gave me an oily medicated ointment to put on it 2 x a day. But, she also scheduled him for a tentative surgery to remove the spot in 3 weeks if it does not heal. If it is a bite of some sort, it should shrink and heal. If it is a malignant skin cancer, it will not heal.

So, now is the point where we ask for lots of healing rays!!

Rueben did very well at the vet's office. He did not cry. He put his nose in the crook of my arm while she did her thing. He got a treat when he was done, which he loved, of course! His weight is 23 lbs, down from 26 in Sept. I had to tighten his harness some more today.

The vet thinks more than likely Rueben was bit by a spider, possibly a brown recluse (pupper reaction to those spiders is different than human reaction), and he is having an alergic reaction to the poison. He's got a 70% chance that this will clear up.

I'm glad it's nothing serious, but I'll feel tons better once it starts to heal because then I know we can avoid surgery and it's not cancerous.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! It's been a trying few days since my son first found the spot. It has been getting bigger and harder, so I have been very worried about my baby!

oceangirls
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Even if it is a skin cancer, you caught it right away, and if it is a type confined to the skin (like a squamous or basal cell carcinoma?), the prognosis should be excellent :).

Hug your pupper for us :rayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: many rayz from me and the girls!!!! Please keep us updated.

Helen
02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Major :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that the spot clears up with the medicine and surgery is not necessary. Good job, Mom, for attending to the spot so quickly. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and Rueben. :crossfin:

Linus
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Lots and lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you and Reuben!!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Sending super fast healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: from us to you. We hope all is well for our fellow pupper. We think it' s a really good chance that it's a result from allergy. We' ll keep our paws & fingers crossed that is all it is!
Get Well Soon:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Goob
02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
My money is on a spider bite. Texas has some scary little critters! Either way, :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reuben and :bighug: for mom.

squirrel818
02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reuben! I sure hope it clears up soon! Poor little guy, a brown recluse yuck! We have them here supposedly and I'm petrified of finding one!

Lisa
02-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Geez Beth!! :bighug: for you. I am sending lots of rayz for Rueben. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: The vet does seem very positive which is great. Please keep us posted as to how the scab heals. :crossfin: :crossfin:

Patt
02-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Giant healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: being sent to Rueben. I hope this heals quickly. :pray: Congrats :cheer2: on the 3# weight loss. Keep up the good work on that issue. :appl: Please keep us updated.

alfina
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I hope it heals soon. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

My grandfather had one of those non-healing cuts for a year before he fnally went to see a doctor. They cut it out and he is fine. Still around and over 80 years old.

Anatresia
02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: I hope that it clears up super fast!!!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
02-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Sending tons of rayz for you both. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Nancy
02-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Lot's of healing :bigrayz: for the little man! Please keep us posted on how the spot is healing!

Yolanda
02-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Sending lots of healing:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for the little guy.

HotDogMama
02-02-2006, 09:13 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: For Rueben!! I hope all is well soon!! :hug99: for a great Mom!

Rae
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
so much for the ringworm theory... :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

alfina
02-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Rae, it just proves that nothing can replace a visit to your vet.

Fluffy
02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
More healing :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for our little Rueben!! I'm banking on the spider bite too...keep us posted on how he's doing!!!

LUVMYGUNNER
02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Rays:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the little guy.

K2
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your little guy!! Keep us posted. :bighug:

Jen
02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Rueben!! Hope the ointment does the trick!!

Alex's Mom
02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of you and :crossfin: that it's not cancer!

oceangirls
02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
so much for the ringworm theory... :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

hey, it certainly looked like it could have been ringworm! Whenever there are weird symptoms, it always helps to have some suggestions to ask the vet about :). Sometimes that helps them know what to test for or rule out.

BethMH
02-02-2006, 11:30 PM
It did look like ringworm and that's what I thought it would end up being. The vet isn't even sure. So, you just never know. It does look better today. Still as large, but not as red or oozy. He keeps licking off the medicine, so I am going to call the vet tomorrow and ask if it is okay to cover it. She told me not to cover it when I first inquired, but if he keeps licking it off, then what good is it doing?

I'll keep you all updated. And many thanks for the rays!!!!

Goob
02-02-2006, 11:44 PM
You might need to get him one of those god-awful cones.... :confused: If it'll stop him from licking. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

BethMH
02-02-2006, 11:48 PM
oooooooo...i forgot about the cone...oh i would be in so much trouble! he would have an absolute hissy fit. i can see him now - shaking his head - tugging at it...oh, not a pretty sight at all! i was thinking about putting a little bandage on it :) ha! i may need to have a little conversation with the rueben man tonight! :)

Goob
02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Good luck with that conversation!!!! :rotfl:

Patt
02-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry no bandage, it should be kept open. The ugly cone is the only way, there is another type collar out there to keep them from licking. when you apply the meds perhaps keep him occupied so the meds can do their job. BTW I'm curious did the vet do use a black light to check the area? Ring Worm really shows up under that light. I'm sure your vet knows what she is doing. Sending more :rayz: to Rueben.

BethMH
02-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks Karen! (mom to rueben ---- :please:)

Patt - the vet aspirated it and checked the cells under the scope - saw a mix of cells - infection, allergic, and abnormal. Is leaning more to being a spider bite, but the abnormal cells could turn out to be something.

I'm not sure why she didn't look at it under the light. I had read that about ringworm and forgot all about it once I got there.

Patt
02-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I guess in TX you do have some nasty spiders. Fingers and paws crossed here, that he will be just fine. :pray:

Yolanda
02-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Another thing you can do is lightly spray the area with "Bitter Apple" after applying the medicine. We have to do that for my Sassy spots on her back. Sending more :rayz: :rayz: for a speedy recovery