PDA

View Full Version : Getting Food Out of Auggie's Mouth -- OUCH!

Auggie's Mom
02-05-2006, 10:06 AM
One of our biggest behavioral problems is Auggie sneaking food and trash off the sidewalk when we're on walks. This morning, he managed to get a foil wrapped pat of butter before I could pull him away. When I tried to pull it out of his mouth, he clamped down really hard - ON MY FINGER! :hissy: Here I am on the street, yelling in pain, and he's just holding on for dear life. I finally got my finger (and the foil) out of there with only minor injury.

Any advice for how to get the little scamp's jaws apart while we continue to work on this problem? Thanks!

K2
02-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Have to tried the "leave it" command? If not, you can practice with toys and stuff. When he "leaves it" give him a treat. Pippit had this problem, too. Now, when he does steal something from the trash, I just say "leave it" and he drops it. Just make sure you give him something good when he does drop it.

jennie_c_d
02-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I taught mine to "trade". I give them something yummy, then bring out something else yummy, and cheerfully say, "Let's trade!" I distract them with the new yummy while taking away the old yummy. They eventually learned to get up and walk away from the old yummy to trade. It worked well for us...

Fluffy
02-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I have the same problem, only its not street trash, its stuff around my house!! When Buddy gets something he's not suposed to have, and he realizes he's "caught" he runs and hides behind the couch...and I have to flush him out with the broom. I've tried blocking it off, but he always manages to get back there. Occasionally, he will "trade" but a lot of the time, he thinks that b/c mommy is giving him a cookie, he is going to bed (crate) and will not budge. He is the most stubborn dachsie I have ever known!! If you find any "tricks" that work, PLEASE fill me in!!!

JanUet
02-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with Karen (PippitsMom)

We have taught Sophie and Casey to "Leave it" or "Drop it"

When I take them for walks I watch for them sniffing the ground for a morsel, crumb, half eaten chicken wing, french fry or pizza . When they find one I say "Leave it" and when they do I give them a treat. I always have a few treats in my pocket.

One time Casey found a piece of gum on the ground. He began to chew it and as I looked down at him I laughed. I asked him if he found it hard to chew and could he make a bubble with it. I told him to Drop it and he had a hard time spittin' it out! :lol:

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Jen
02-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Leave it works with Tasha if I see it first. If not, its hers. No drop it command will work (unless she realizes its inedible).

I feel for ya, been thru the same thing, complete with bloody punctures, several times. Now, I try to keep calm, and quickly bend down to brace her mouth open with one hand (at the base of the jaw) and reach in with the other, so she can't bite down. Also, keep a wet wipe in your pocket on walkies to clean your hand if he does break the skin. Rich got an infection from a bite--since its often old meat she's after, its full of bacteria.

But if I forget and reach in before I prop her mouth open with the other hand, ouch! She bites down to keep the food.

Trying to trade doesn't work for me outdoors, its all happens too fast...

SaraInCT
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Uhg, I hate this problem. Leave it only works for me as long as the item hasn't entered the mouth. After that, leave it is useless. "Let's Trade" works for a few items, as long as the treat I'm offering is tastier than the icky item in the mouth which doesn't usually apply for the chicken bone that an inconsiderate a**ho*e has left lying on the sidewalk. I have quite a bit of experience prying nasty sidewalk treats out of my boys' mouths. The trick to avoid the clamp down is to make sure you pry the mouth open using both hands, fingers pressing against the gum just behind the long canine teeth on the top and bottom, and a free finger scooping out the offending item. This method has worked for me everytime. Hope it helps.

Lisa
02-05-2006, 08:49 PM
For a quick fix, try "leave it" with alum.

Here is the alum link (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=451) I know people who have tried it and it works great.

So it you try it on some "garbage" that you create and drop, give the "leave it" command and if he goes for it, let him. He will not like it at all.

Then go out without him and "plant" something different for him to leave. Same thing, say "leave it" but let him go for, if he tastes the alum again, he will drop it. Then escalate it from there, with what you brush the alum on (more and more irresistible treats). Soon he will ignore anything you say the words leave it to. When he does ignore, then you treat quickly and give the "good boy" command. I doubt he will ever try anything you ask him to leave after maybe three times.

Patt
02-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Lots of good advice given, I hope one of the suggestions works for you. :crossfin: :crossfin: