PDA

View Full Version : Bella Trying to Find Her Place in the "Pack?"

Bella's Mom
02-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Okay guys I need some advice. Since DH has been home Bella has been a little on the aggressive side. He had always let her play a little rough with him and they would wrestle... When he came home they pretty much started the same. :tempted:Here's the problem. Now she will bite at the hands play nip, do the little lunge test, etc. I am not happy about it at all. Not only does she do it with him she's now doing it with me. I tell her no bite, etc. and when it doesn't work I put her down, ignore her for 5-10 minutes etc. and repeat if necessary. DH doesn't necessarily agree with this method. We both think she is testing the "pecking" order. Any suggestions? I feel we have to be unified on whatever course we take but I'm not big into yelling, etc. I don't feel that works and is unecessary. Her other "new" thing is to bark at everything and everyone. If she sees a squirrel it's on, a person walking on the trail, it's on, a leaf blowing....you get the picture. My angel has turned into a little hellion.....HELP! :scratch:

jennie_c_d
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
DH doesn't necessarily agree with this method.

I tend to think that consistency is pretty important in dog training. It may help if you decide on a method together (though I like yours:).

Patt
02-05-2006, 08:07 PM
It’s the dominance thing again, Bella is now in charge. Wrestling is not a good game to play as the dog thinks of you as his/her litter mate instead of a pack leader. This encourages mouthing and biting. Here is a link that will help you get back in charge.

http://www.heartlandhumane.org/pub/?q=petcare_nips_bites

I believe Dachshunds as well as some other breeds will always try to test your leadership, this is why you have to be in charge at all times. All dogs needs consistency in their life. If Bella’s nipping/biting attitude continues I suggest professional help. Good luck!

Lisa
02-05-2006, 08:32 PM
I agree! Good luck with little Bella. I am sure she will find her pack roll soon.

JanUet
02-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Me thinks you should teach your hubby not to play with Bella like that. She could get too aggressive at the wrong person or child.

Bad, Bad, Bad Daddy!!!!!

I agree with everyone else....Place Hubby in the Dog house!