PDA

View Full Version : Reese update

Jill
02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
He seems to be doing better. We haven't had anymore coughing and his breathing isn't all that loud. My concern now is that he is not eating. He hasn't eaten a meal since Friday night. Last night and this morning he literally ate one bite from each meal. I've tried the raw, kibble soaked with warm water, wet food, rice cooked with chicken broth and then mixed wet in with the rice. The vet said to try the softened kibble and if he wasn't interested in that then try the rice. Usually if either of them spit their supplements out of their meals, I can always get them to take with with a little cream cheese. I have to force Reese to take the meds with the cream cheese and even PB is having the same reaction. :(

I am going to call the vet at about 9:30 and see what he says.

bumpergirl
02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Jill, I have found that a mixture of equal parts cooked oatmeal and rice seems to work pretty well in getting them to eat. Maybe try that...?

Meanwhile, lots more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reese!

areese
02-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I hope he feels better really soon. Poor baby.
I bet his medicine is upsetting his stomach and, although eating would most porb. help him, he can't understand that...
Let us know what the vet says, K??
Amy, Laika and Owen

Jill
02-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Jill, I have found that a mixture of equal parts cooked oatmeal and rice seems to work pretty well in getting them to eat. Maybe try that...?

Just plain oatmeal?

Jill
02-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I bet his medicine is upsetting his stomach and, although eating would most porb. help him, he can't understand that...

I asked the vet about the meds making him nauseous etc, because the vet said the x-rays showed his stomach was empty, to which I replied, yes, because he hasn't eaten, and he said the meds are pretty mild with consideration to upset bellies.

Rae
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
that is a long time not to eat. Poor tummy boy. big :bigrayz: and hoping things get better really soon.

Jen
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Poor baby. How about cheese? Hot dogs? Those are two Tasha never turns down.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for poor Reese!

LUVMYGUNNER
02-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Try some scrambled eggs.

bumpergirl
02-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Just plain oatmeal?

Yes, just plain old oatmeal. I use the quick oats (rather than instant). Let me know if you try it, and how it works.

Jill
02-06-2006, 11:09 AM
The vet wants me to bring him in. :(

Nancy
02-06-2006, 11:25 AM
lot's of :bigrayz: for a quick recovery. poor reese! please keep us updated!

lotsadox
02-06-2006, 12:23 PM
That's probably best. That's a long time to go without eating. Sending rayz for Reese. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

JanUet
02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Reese.

Please keep us posted Jill!

I have given my 2 oatmeal (quick oats) with a little bit of honey. They LOVED it!

When Sophie takes her prednisone I also had to give her a quarter of a Pepcid AC tablet to help with her tummy.

K2
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Poor Reese. Sending him lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Keep us posted on what the vet says.

Yolanda
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Yes, get him back to the vets soonest. Is he getting any liquid in him at all, that is more important than the food. I use the flavored pedilyte.

Jill
02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, he is drinking water, so that is good. I am taking him for 3pm

Patt
02-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear Resse is not eating, perhaps the vet will give him some fluids to make him feel better and get back to eating. Also A/D or I/D (from the vet) is a bland diet and may help.

Sending lots of get well :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Reese, please give us an update when you can.

HotDogMama
02-06-2006, 04:52 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Reese's belly!! Hope to hear good news soon!

quavec
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Hope he is okay. You know, I know vets have been to school, whereas I haven't, but I wonder when they say meds (some) won't effect their tummies. I mean, in humans, everyone responds to meds differently so why wouldn't that be true for animals too? They all don't metabolise meds the same way do they?

jennie_c_d
02-07-2006, 12:33 AM
I would think that every tummy would respond differently too.

I hope Reese is feeling better soon!

FYI, no dog in my house has been able to resist warm, whole goat milk. Yes, goat milk:) It's suitable to raise puppies on (my last two hand reared fosters were raised on it) and doesn't normally cause the same reaction as cow's milk. They seem to digest it. It's nutrition, and hydration:)