PDA

View Full Version : Earthdog training and North American Tekel Club Fun Day (long)

Jill
08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Earthdog:So, Bailey and I worked on his issue of backing up in the tunnel once the cover comes off. This was Junior. He seemed to kinda get it. and I learned from the trainer a few more specifics about the judging period and what can and cannot be said. a dog can get DQ'd for handler error.

Reese had his first run in Senior today. Could have cared less about the false exit or the false den. Screwed right past and found the rats. And just as I predicted he didn't want to come out of the tunnel once the rats were removed and I called him. Soo, we'll have to work on that. But, overall he did great, considering it was all new. I definitley need to work on my action of grabbing him.

Fun Day: Apparently they have a slightly difference version of earthdog and the club was there borrowing our tunnels and getting ready for the trial that is on Sunday. The fun day had a bunch of different activities, but we participated in the Urban Rat hunt and the Blood Tracking.

Bailey did the tracking first and did better then I expected. He followed the trail marked with deer blood, but missed some of the spots that had the deer liver. at the end he seemed more nervous of the deer hide, then he was in telling me he had found our "prey." He ended up coming home with deer blood still on his face.

Reese was so slow and methodical, it was kinda driving me crazy. I think it might have been all the bugs though. He followed it great, and found every piece of liver and totally went crazy when we go the the hide.

It was neat to talk to the guy that was with us, leading us, and to watch the dogs hunt. I kept behind them about 30 ft or so and followed them. They were on a long hunting lead of about 60 something feet. They weren't going anywhere. The guy that was leading it said that he hunts with his Wire's every week in the fall.

Next was the urban rat hunt. The dogs had to find the rat that was in a pile of trash. Bailey was first and took a lot of encouraging. Reese, was a maniac and actually squeezed his way under the trash pile to get the rats!

Besides the bite, it was a fun day. Lots of doxies!

areese
08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Wow that sounds like a blast. We did a fun day last fall like that... Laika was so geeked doing the blood trail and also jumped up and got a huge mouthful of deer that I had to drag back outa her throat. Lovely.
Isn't it really cool to see your dogs do what they were orginally meant to do?
I hope I get to go to a field event in September. It's pretty far away but I really want to do it again.
GO Reese and Bailey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tex
08-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Sounds like ya'll had a wonderful time!:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: