PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent...

bumpergirl
02-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I just got an email from someone in rescue (not someone on this board...I don't think) telling me that she doesn't think Scooter was placed in the perfect home because they've never owned a dacshie before.

Well, guess what? There once was a time when I had never owned a dachsie, either, and I know my home is a pefect one. Also,there are a lot of people who DO own dachsies that do NOTprovide a perfect home for them. If that's the only thing this person wants to take into consideration when considering placing a dog, then maybe this individual shouldn't be involved in rescue.

Grrrrrr....:mad2:

Lisa
02-07-2006, 06:54 AM
I totally agree Kelly!! Especially when this home knows of Scooter's issues and is willing to take him (and love him) unconditionally and is SUPER excited about him becoming part of their family.

How many people have children everyday who have never had them before? You learn as you go, you read, you educate yourself.

Some people like to talk just to hear themselves, that might be the case here. Scooter's home was approved for him, you have talked to them and I know you know they will be a great forever home for him.

Mama S.
02-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Another here in total agreement with you. I just do not understand sometimes. I know that the rescues I work with are tough - they check people out, they check the homes out. THey talk to vets. IF everything goes well, why not adopt just because people have never had a doxie? If my husband suddenly became blind or wheelchair ridden should I give him up to someone who has experience dealing with a disability? DUHH.
Sandi

Yolanda
02-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Yep, I do have to say that Scoots has brought out some uglies in people. :mad: :mad: Somedays I just do not understand why people say what they say when they do not understand the entire situation.

Kelly and I decided on what WE believe to be the best home for him.

Nancy
02-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Hum, I've never owned a doxie before either. Does this mean that Molly shouldnt belong to me?

If so, then someone better explain to her that all the love, belly rubs, long walks, teeth bushing, ear cleaning, warm bed and top notch food is coming from the wrong person.

LUVMYGUNNER
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Gunner was my first Doxie--I have had a basset before. I did a lot of research and joined Dodgerslist so I could learn all about doxies. Now we have Petunia also. I think both of my puppers have the perfect home-they are spoiled rotten. I think if they are willing to take him, even though he is a cart baby then they are wonderful people.

K2
02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I think it is safe to say that at one point, ALL of us had never owned a Dachsie!! You placed Scooter in a home where you felt he would be cared for and wouldn't have placed him there if you didn't think it was the right home. :bighug:

areese
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
That's just silly. I mean...a doxie IS a dog. I never had a doxie before Laika and I can't imagine anyone giving her a better home. I think people should have had a DOG before, and get some info on some basic dachshund facts of course but geez....it's better to go to someone who can spend a lot of time with him and love him like crazy and who is above all very enthusaistic and invested in making a wonderful home for him. He's going to be very happy.

Amy, Laika, and Owen

Rae
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
I think it takes a very special person/people to consider adopting a cart wonder in the first place (hats off to Yo). I mean, to have your dog go down after you already love love love them is one thing, but to take on a furkid with built in disability... if these folks are willing and passed all the tests, then so be it!

I have no rescue experience, but I would say that there has to be pretty extensive research on a person/couple before they get a rescue, especially a special needs doxie. Too bad the same rules don't apply for puppies and hoo-children.

You are an angel for taking such good care of him and I think if this was not a good home your gut would have told you.

lotsadox
02-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Some dachsie has to be your first one. We had to start somewhere. You and Yolanda picked what you felt was the best home for him. You two have experience with this and made an informed decision. I'd trust your instincts. You picked the best home for him. Some dogs just bring out the worst people. I have no idea why. :dunno: We had a dapple on our website here that had people sending hate email because they didn't get to adopt her! :scratch: I don't know what it is about some dogs.

bumpergirl
02-07-2006, 09:45 AM
My biggest gripe about this whole thing with the email I got this morning is that I'm new to the "rescue game", and this person could have turned me off from ever wanting to involve myself with rescue again if I weren't such a strong person (if I do say so myself).

Rae
02-07-2006, 09:48 AM
and you are strong and you did great and you will do great again.
SO THERE.

Do you not know who this person is? Not to be confrontational, but I would honestly want to know why this person thinks a mistake was made. Is it just becuase they have never had a doxie before?

I have zero rescue experience, but it would seem to me that finding a couple to fall in love with Scoot who is financially able to take care of whatever needs he might have down the road and who loves him "as is" is a pretty huge accomplishment.

I mean, we love him, but we are partial...

quavec
02-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't think ANYONE can be 100% prepared for any changes/additions. Be it dog or child. You adapt and overcome. You hope to learn from your mistakes. I think that anyone who feels that dachsies only should go to those who have owned one before is terribly misguided. As it has been said, many who own one now never owned one before. And some who own one (or more) and have for years may not need to own one now. You did what you thought was in Scooter's best interest. Never let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Patt
02-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Like Carrol said nothing is 100%, if it doesn't work out he will be returned to you right? I think you have done the best you can and with time all will settle down and live happily ever after. :hearts:

You did mention that he was chasing their kitty, now this could be a big problem. :shocked:

bumpergirl
02-07-2006, 01:28 PM
You did mention that he was chasing their kitty, now this could be a big problem. :shocked:

It sounds like he's starting to settle down about the cat. I don't think he'd ever seen one before, so of course he got quite excited about it. Only time will tell if the cat issue will be a problem. If so, he will come back to me.

Frzframe
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Awwww don't let this ruin the happiness of find Scooter a new home. I'm sure if you and Yolanda approved this family then it should work out great. If anyone knows what she's doing with these special babies it Yalonda!!!

LUVMYGUNNER
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Kelly some peope just have to stick their nose into everything--they have nothing better to do. You and Yolanda did a great job finding him the perfect home--its not easy taking care of a special needs and if they are willing to do that then they are great people.

Courtney
02-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, Kelly, unfortunately some people DO stick their nose into everything! There will be egos everywhere in life - rescue is not exempt. Sometimes, I get really frustrated too and some people in my rescue groups just plain don't get along and it is ANNOYING. But you have to stay strong and keep going and do what YOU know is right, for the dogs. If you and Yolanda both thought this was the best place for Scooter, then it must be.

Chrystyna
02-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Some people are just ignorant! How could you possibly be upset that a family is willing to take a dog with "challenges". I'd be singing praises! It's not something I could do and I respect the heck out of people who are willing to open their homes to these dogs!

My parents adopted a senior last year that can barely see, is almost deaf, has no teeth, and can't hold her bladder. Hats off to them because they knew what they were getting themselves in to and still did it!

Chrystyna
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
My biggest gripe about this whole thing with the email I got this morning is that I'm new to the "rescue game", and this person could have turned me off from ever wanting to involve myself with rescue again if I weren't such a strong person (if I do say so myself).
Yes, sometimes being involved in rescue groups is challenging. You've got a lot of people involved and everyone has their own opinion about what is right/wrong. When I get frustrated over something I just tell myself I'm doing what's best for the dogs and I just ignore the humans!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I think you found a great home for him. He never will be alone & he will be loved greatly. That' s all you can ask for! I had a Chow that went deaf when he got old. But he wasn' t any different than before, only I had to clap my hands or pat my legs to get him to come to me. I didn' t need to find him any "special" trainer or anything.
I actually rescued him from a lady that ran a motel & didn' t have the time to groom him & care for him like he needed anymore.
His name is Sam & he went to Rainbow Bridge years later of Old Age!
I had him 8 yrs. & he was already about 5 yrs. old when I got him.

mamaw
02-07-2006, 08:40 PM
That person is showing her ignorance there always has to be a first dachsie. Maybe she should not be in rescue with that kind of attitude. Scooter is one happy pupper in his new home. You and Yolanda found the best home for him.

Patt
02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Kelly, I re-read your first post about the new hooparents. It sounded like the perfect home for the little man. What more could you ask for with someone being home 24/7. Hopefully they are up to the extra work it takes minding a needy Doxie and I believe Yolanda mentioned sometime back it's possible he may walk again.

I think you and Yolanda have done your very best seeing that he will be adopted by caring people and cared for in the proper manner, and that's all you can do. There will always be someone that's not happy about something but so what.

Jacqueline
02-08-2006, 01:07 AM
I just got an email from someone in rescue (not someone on this board...I don't think) telling me that she doesn't think Scooter was placed in the perfect home because they've never owned a dacshie before.

Well, guess what? There once was a time when I had never owned a dachsie, either, and I know my home is a pefect one. Also,there are a lot of people who DO own dachsies that do NOTprovide a perfect home for them. If that's the only thing this person wants to take into consideration when considering placing a dog, then maybe this individual shouldn't be involved in rescue.

Grrrrrr....:mad2:

I hope I don't offend anyone on this board, unless of course, you feel like the idiot that emailed her.....but after talking with some of the people in rescue....and hearing about "only taking in the dogs that meet our specifications"....and "not having room for problem dogs"....I was VERY PUT OFF of the idea of taking a dog from a rescue here. I checked their website out, and there is no indication there that they take such a narrow, "we are only taking in the GOOD STUFF" attitude on it.

So....she thinks he went to the wrong home huh? Did anyone ask Scooter?

bumpergirl
02-08-2006, 06:46 AM
I hope I don't offend anyone on this board, unless of course, you feel like the idiot that emailed her.....but after talking with some of the people in rescue....and hearing about "only taking in the dogs that meet our specifications"....and "not having room for problem dogs"....I was VERY PUT OFF of the idea of taking a dog from a rescue here. I checked their website out, and there is no indication there that they take such a narrow, "we are only taking in the GOOD STUFF" attitude on it.

So....she thinks he went to the wrong home huh? Did anyone ask Scooter?

I haven't heard anything about only taking in "good" dogs, I've only been getting feedback that basically suggested that the home Scooter was placed in wasn't a good choice because they'd never owned a dachshund before. If rescue groups were in the habit of only placing dachshunds in homes that currently or previously owned one then we'd have a LOT more homeless dachsies on our hands! Not to mention that it would not so much be a rescue group anymore, but more of a private club!

To her credit, the person emailed me back after I responded with "There once was a time when I hadn't owned a dachsie, either, but I know my home is perfect for one!" and she backed down somewhat. Hopefully that's the end of it!

Bella's Mom
02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
You know that you've done right by Scooter and everyone else does too. Bella is my dachsie and my first dog in a very long time and I'm proud to say she is happy, healthy and has an endless supply of love. Although Scooter has a disability, there is no reason a person who is willing to care for him and love him cannot do a great job. I'm happy Scooter has his forever home and you do a great job! :appl:

Pokeys Mom
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
ACK!! I agree as well. Pokey is our very first doxie! It seems like we always have had him. On top of that, he is our first dog! DH and I read everything and talked to owners and rescue people for years before we got our, "house for the dog." I know we were far from perfect, but our rescue placement person still loves our family match. :hearts: