PDA

View Full Version : So, about the dental????

K2
02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Since a lot of you have gone through this(or should I say, your dogs have)~and I am such a neurotic mom.......I have some questions...

Would it be best to take the day off or work so I'm not freaking out while waiting?
Should I take the following day off instead?
What should I expect after?

Patt
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
This is what we do at the Pet Hospital I work for. Drop off time is anytime between 7:30am-9am. The dentals are done between 10a-12p with a light anesthesia. They are given a pre-anesthesia injection and then ISO. Their teeth are cleaned and polished and any extractions done if needed. After they start to wake up they are placed in a 'condo' so they can wake up fully on their own. The important thing is no food after 9pm the night before and of course none in the morning. By the time they are picked up (between 4-6pm) they are usually pretty much awake and rarin' to go home. Pippit will pretty much sleep on and off the rest of the night. He may have a very light dinner (not the usual amount) about 8p, a little water and by morning he will be back to normal. Of course remember every vet is different and so is every dog, but the above goes for pretty much every patient we have. I know you and others are really afraid for your furbabies but really it isn't that much of a deal for them. No need to take off work unless you really want to. Sending dental :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: to Pippit.

I highly recommend blood work before the dental, to make sure Pippit is okay for anesthesia. Also if he needs a nail trim now is the time to do it.

Pokeys Mom
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm sure everything will be just fine! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: Thankfully we had at least one person at home due to our odd ball schedules. I really don't think with a smooth procedure that you will have to take much time off at all. The safest place for Pippit to be is at the vets! ;) Although if he's stressed out, it's probably best to bring him home.

If you do a morning dental, maybe pick him up in the afternoon and call it a half day? He could be groggy and there are specific food & water instructions. :rayz:

lotsadox
02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I've haven't had to do dentals since I've been feeding raw. Sending rayz for Pippit and for you. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jill
02-08-2006, 08:04 PM
When Bailey had his done, I dropped him off for 9am, and then he was picked up at about 1pm. He was ready earlier but that's the earliest Hoodad could get there. No food or water because of the anethesia. We knew Bailey was having an extraction, a baby canine, so I made sure to have extra wet food on hand to feed him instead of raw kibble. He was a little groggy when he got home, but by the next morning was his usual self.

Pokeys Mom
02-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I highly recommend blood work before the dental, to make sure Pippit is okay for anesthesia. Also if he needs a nail trim now is the time to do it. I knew you would have great advice Patt! :) Can I add that it would be a kind time to express his anals, if need be? ;)

Patt
02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I knew you would have great advice Patt! :) Can I add that it would be a kind time to express his anals, if need be? ;) :thanx: good idea I completely forgot that, which is really quite important. :)

Mama S.
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
When Hershey's baby canines were pulled he wasn't real thrilled about eating anything that day - just snoozed. He also had a hernia fixed so he got a double whammy. He was fine the next day! Pete is up next for dental - when we get back - we schedule him.
Sandi

Jen
02-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for asking Karen, I've been wondering too since Tasha's dental is in less than a week. We are on vacation that week anyways, but it does mean we can pick her up as soon as they give the all clear. She just had her physical but I don't think they did blood work so I'll ask.

jennie_c_d
02-08-2006, 11:40 PM
When Teenie went in, she did come back sore (she had a broken tooth and her teeth were really pretty gross) and her gums looked pretty red. I'm always a little sore after I have my teeth cleaned. I got her some yummy canned food, and she sat around looking *really* sleepy for the afternoon. In the next couple of days, all I did was feed her soft foods, and she seemed pretty normal.

Nancy
02-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Molly was fine after her dental and being spade! She slept a little bit longer than normal, but was fine the next morning!

K2
02-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone!!

And thanks Patt for putting my mind at ease. I spoke with the vet(about being paranoid, etc) And blood work will be done at drop off time(8am) He doesn't have an anal gland issue(thank goodness)

HotDogMama
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
No experience here yet, but here's some :hearts: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that it all goes well!!