PDA

View Full Version : Cy is lagging on walks

Chaotic42
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Emma and Cy seem to love going on walks, and so do I. Emma is as proud as she can be, and Cy is all smiles and tail wagging. The thing is, he always walks far behind. I'm always just barely putting force on the leash.

It's not that he can't go fast, because it doesn't matter if we're walking really slowly or almost running, he's always slacking off the same amount. That boy can run, too, so I'm certain it isn't his body.

He just seems to like being the Omega dog. What can I do about it? I want him up with Emma and me.

Otto'sMom
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM
If you're using a retractable leash, keep it short and close to you when he's behind, and let him have as much lead as he wants when he's up front. You could also try the ol' carrot (or for him, cheezeburger) on a stick trick. But then you might get the homeless dudes that hang out by the interstate.

Pokeys Mom
09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm kinda out of the loop, so don't mind me asking....

Does the vet have anything to say about Cy lagging behind? If he has a small heart murmur or low blood iron/red blood cells, that could send any dog lagging.

It does seem more behavior oriented, but I'm just coming with a background of adopted puppers with health issues. Hope all is well!! :)

Barb
09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Is he smelling stuff, looking around or just walking slow? My Rudy is always way ahead and Brandy way behind - but she is just concerned with smelling every single pebble, piece of grass ect. If we need to move on, I will tug a little and slow down walking and she will catch up..... next second, she is slow again.... oh well.....

Jen
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Tasha is always behind on the way out, in the lead on the way home!

Chaotic42
09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm kinda out of the loop, so don't mind me asking....

Does the vet have anything to say about Cy lagging behind? If he has a small heart murmur or low blood iron/red blood cells, that could send any dog lagging.

I'm going to ask when they go for their shots next month. I'm going to get the full workup done on them. Shots, checks, paw rotation, everything.

Chaotic42
09-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Is he smelling stuff, looking around or just walking slow?
He does sometimes, but I will usually stop if there's something that they want to sniff. Normally he's just prancing along at 99% of my walking speed. If I stop, then when he catches up he stops.

Pokeys Mom
09-22-2008, 01:32 AM
... paw rotation, everything.
:urock: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lotsadox
09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Shots, checks, paw rotation, everything.

Okay, I'm slow. It took me a minute to get that. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: